Specific bike frame size for a freak

stevos999
stevos999 Posts: 5
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Help, apparently i have "odd" geometry....
So i'm looking for a fairly relaxed style bike, perhaps a cyclocross bike to commute with, but i'm a little lost on what frame size to get, i went to a shop where i got measured in a number of places to be told i'm a little odd! -apparently good for a boxer though
So height is 185cm (6"1')
Arm span is 194cm (6"4')
and inside leg of 80cm (31.5")

i'm a "stocky"/overweight rugby player weighing in at 18 stone too if that matters? I did two years ago commute on a sirrus, but can't remember what size that was, think it was just a large, but it was stolen.

So what really would i look at in terms of frame? (bearing in mind my budget for the bike, pedals excluded is £800 ish max)

Comments

• guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    Giant Defy 2 or 2.5 in a large or M/L size would suit fine.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    You're 'odd' only in the sense that you have slightly short legs for your height by the looks of things? Saddle height is easily adjustable to compensate for that so what I'd do if I were you is find a bike that feels comfortable with regard to reach, i.e. top tube and stem length, and then see if you can get the saddle at a height that works for you.

Whereabouts are you? That could help recommend shops that might have a range of cyclocross frames in your area (although it is the wrong time of year to be looking for a cross frame as the season ended in February).
  • Barrie_G
    Barrie_G Posts: 479
    You might be better off with and audax style bike rather than a cyclo-cross bike as the cyclo-cross bikes tend to have fairly short top tubes to give an upright position, which is fine and just what you're looking for, but you also say that you have short legs in relation to the rest of you and a bike with a short top tube could make finding a bike that you are comfortable with height wise rather difficult.
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    you're a bit taller than me but similar shape - as in long body short legs. I've been described as "pit pony" build!! Not sure if that's good or bad.

Nevertheless what I've found is that a more compact geometry fits me best (long top tube compared to the seat tube). Which also means that some of the frames which seem racier geometry for most fit me comfortably (with the saddle quite low) I tend to get a M size, so I'd make a guess that you'd be an ML or L like friend guilliano says - and I believe he works in a bike shop, so prolly good advice. I've got a Giant TCR Advanced, which, whilst not easy to get hold of ATM might give you a decent pointer as to frame shape.

I was just south of 18 stone I suspect when I started riding. Don't get anything too flimsy or delicate!! Having said that you might find the weight falls off if you're aiming to lose a few pounds (especially when you start to wonder why you don't hurtle up hills, and decide to do something about it)
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • andyp: i'm based in west london, so i've looked at a couple of places, but until recently i've only loked at road bikes rather than cyclocross, tried the trek 1.7 but didn't like it, and a cube peloton which was much nicer except one thing, if i stood up and forward, my small legs(!) hit the stem, not much but enough to cut my leg.... perhaps it's just my riding stlye, not being used to a road bike? Both of those were 58cm frames. (oh and the peolton has just gone up £150 in price.

So I guess from all your comment the 56cm focus Mares is out of the questiion?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037602/

Was really keen on that one. :cry:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Condor Cycles on Grays Inn Road have two cross frames in their range so you could visit them and try them for size.

I'd say the Mares Cross in a 56cm would be a good option but buying mail order is a risk as you can't try it for size in advance. I believe Wiggle run some sort of try before you buy scheme though?
  • stevos999
    stevos999 Posts: 5
    Wiggle also think that the 56cm would be suitable, but they would wouldn't they? or am i being far too synical....?
    If i am to plumb for that, they have an ex demo of their disc version, but is it wise to gamble on the demo bike? is it a gamble at all for the disc brakes? (as i've said it's not like i'm actually going to need them, i'll not be going through rivers of mud....)
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    Go to eg Cyclefit and get yourself measured up then take those measurements with you when you go looking for a bike. The £150 you spend getting yourself measured is cheaper than buying a bike you think will fit you
  • cyclefit are very good (the mrs bought me a session there for christmas) but they just confirmed the sizing advice my local bike shop had already told me for free. Get to know the guys in your local shop, buy your bike through them and take it back there when you break it. Worth paying the extra over web retailers, I recon.

(and you're a very similar build & size to me, nowt to worry about).
  • cyclefit are very good (the mrs bought me a session there for christmas) but they just confirmed the sizing advice my local bike shop had already told me for free. Get to know the guys in your local shop, buy your bike through them and take it back there when you break it. Worth paying the extra over web retailers, I recon.

(and you're a very similar build & size to me, nowt to worry about).