new car

adun1408
adun1408 Posts: 123
edited May 2009 in The Crudcatcher
Im thinking of getting a Ford Focus Zetec has anyone got one. Is there anything i should be wary about.

Comments

• adun1408 wrote:
    Im thinking of getting a Ford Focus Zetec has anyone got one. Is there anything i should be wary about.
    The blue badge on the front makes it prone to rusting, ridicule, plenty of non-routine maintenance & decreased resale value...otherwise its a good car :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Don't do it!!!!

I have a 52 plate mondeo and it's a typical Fix Or Repair Daily!!!!

Biggest mistake I made was buying that car 4years ago. Still paying for the f*cker as well!

List of things gone wrong since buying:

Turbo Hose burst - 40k miles
    Subframe bushes - twice 40k & 50k
    Handbrake cables (common fault) - 45k
    Rear Springs have been replaced.
    Injector failed at 65k - "it just lost its programming - £200 to be reprogrammed (FORD
    ONLY)
    ECU "Lost Programming" - Hmmmmmmmmm
    Rear Wheel Bearings, BOTH - 60k
    Front Wheel Bearings - BOTH @ 70k

Car has now done 71k miles and the list to date is now as below:

Anti Roll Bar links needing replaced,
    Ball Joints needing done
    Drivers Electric window motor failed and now needs replaced.
    Central Locking stopped working
    Boot release catch doesnt work from inside of car

To cap it off, there's been a rattling from the rear end of the car since i bought it, Its been in the garage 4 times about the problem and they can't find the fault - I am sure its a friday car!!!

Now I know some people might say a lot of that is wear and tear, but IMHO, any wheel bearing failing at less that 100k is just shocking!
    Suffice to say I wont buy another Ford in a hurry! The sad thing is I had a Mk1 Mondeo and it was faultless! Never let me down.

Seriously - Buy an Audi, BMW, or VW if you can.

A4 Avant S-Line for me next time! :D
    It's been a while...
  • or get an indestructible french/german DERV.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Keep away from the French cars, our last two Renaults were very similar to the Mondeo above. We've got a Honda which is 2.5 years old and had nothing go wrong. In the process of buying a VW so hopefully that will be reliable as well (and it's supposed to do 60 mpg and has 7 seats :shock: ).
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i used to have a mondy tdci,
    i replaced the intercooler hose due to spliting these are a common fault due to the power from the turbo, is yours the 130 bhp version?
    sub frame rattles are common on the rear end ie knocking noise when goin over a bump,
    also the hand brake cables are common to seize and the rear calipers,
    also injecters but never had a prob with them due to redex injector cleaner,
    also check the bottom of the doors seal's for rust if so if the first service was with ford you can take back to them for repairs due to there 6yr body protection thats what i did,

apart from that i think there good motors as long as the service is up to date,
    mine was running 190bhp with uprated turbo intercooler bluefin chip de-cat and custom zorst.
    gave the St220 a gud run for it's money
    DSC00257.jpg
    now have this 300bhp astra turbo
    Photo0081.jpg
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    300bhp through the front wheels...

I'm surprised it hasn't dragged you into a hedge / bus stop / school full of children and puppies yet! :twisted:

Love to have a real powerful car - the Nissan GTR V-Spec looks like a truely awesome car. All the practicalites of a modern family saloon, but with tear-your-face-off acceleration, and a top speed of over 190 :shock:

How sweet would that be??

Sadly, I'll have to do with my 13yr old Nissan Micra (1 ltr petrol :cry: :oops: )

Doesn't stop me dreaming though 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Graydawg wrote:
    Don't do it!!!!

I have a 52 plate mondeo and it's a typical Fix Or Repair Daily!!!!

Biggest mistake I made was buying that car 4years ago. Still paying for the f*cker as well!

List of things gone wrong since buying:

Turbo Hose burst - 40k miles
    Subframe bushes - twice 40k & 50k
    Handbrake cables (common fault) - 45k
    Rear Springs have been replaced.
    Injector failed at 65k - "it just lost its programming - £200 to be reprogrammed (FORD
    ONLY)
    ECU "Lost Programming" - Hmmmmmmmmm
    Rear Wheel Bearings, BOTH - 60k
    Front Wheel Bearings - BOTH @ 70k

Car has now done 71k miles and the list to date is now as below:

Anti Roll Bar links needing replaced,
    Ball Joints needing done
    Drivers Electric window motor failed and now needs replaced.
    Central Locking stopped working
    Boot release catch doesnt work from inside of car

To cap it off, there's been a rattling from the rear end of the car since i bought it, Its been in the garage 4 times about the problem and they can't find the fault - I am sure its a friday car!!!

Now I know some people might say a lot of that is wear and tear, but IMHO, any wheel bearing failing at less that 100k is just shocking!
    Suffice to say I wont buy another Ford in a hurry! The sad thing is I had a Mk1 Mondeo and it was faultless! Never let me down.

Seriously - Buy an Audi, BMW, or VW if you can.

A$4 Avant S-Line for me next time! :D

Sounds like you got a Friday afternoon car :(
  • John1974
    John1974 Posts: 6
    Im abit of a focus addict, so far i have owned a
    Mk 1 TDDi
    Mk 1.5 TDCI
    Mk 1.5 ST170
    Mk 2 ST-2 tuned @ 298bhp and 367Lb torque

I must be just lucky as over the last 10 years of running those cars i have not had a single break down.

Only thing im not to keen on the Mk2 focus and the latest facelift is the fact they just feel heavy and to soft but thats more to do with the fact i like a firmly setup car.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    adun1408 wrote:
    Mine had a major electrical failure after 850 miles but 45000 miles later it has never missed a beat. Great car - just keep filling it up with petrol, park it anywhere and no-one gives it a second glance and it takes two MTBs in the back. Estate worth a look.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I have me a new car.

55 plate 06 leon FR Seat- thats the 150 BHP TDI (they released this model to replace the cupra TDI so it has all cupra parts and a TDi droped in) looks the nuts and oh my it goes so much quicker than my old 1.2i! lol

I have read alot of good things about the fords, but all the people i know who have owned them have spent half the life of the cars keeping them running (I have no faith in them) agree with the go german (VW group) or japanese.
  • stumpyjon wrote:
    Keep away from the French cars, our last two Renaults were very similar to the Mondeo above.

Agree!!!!!

I had a Pug Mi16 (1.9) back in NZ that was tweaked (slight understatement) and spat 227hp on the dyno. I didnt think it was too bad for a family box running on crappy NZ fuel. Engine turned out to be bullet proof but I went through a set of CV joints in...wait for it...9k miles :evil:

Electrics were in a word horrendous, pretty much everything crapped out at some stage during the 3 years I had that car apart from the engine wtf is with that? From what I understand the new model Frenchies arent much better though I am a firm believer in that its total luck of the draw. You either get a good car or a bad one.

Sorry I digress back to the focus, my sister has the focus you are talking about and other than the exhaust dropping off on the motorway and the keyless entry 'losing it' and locking and unlocking by itself it has been fine :D
    Scott Ransom 10

Stumpy FSR Comp

Wilier Izoard

1994 Shogun Prairie Breaker Expert...ahhh yesssss

'I didnt need those front teeth anyway..'
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I really rate the Focus and have recommended them to many over a Golf or a Civic. They are actually well made, handle brilliantly and are cheap to run.

Three mates are still chuffed with theirs after I found them a suitable one.
  • Surf-Matt wrote:
    I really rate the Focus and have recommended them to many over a Golf or a Civic. They are actually well made, handle brilliantly and are cheap to run.

Three mates are still chuffed with theirs after I found them a suitable one.
    :shock: :shock: :shock:

Golf & Civic are infinately better than any Ford on the road. In fact any German or Jap car would out-last and out-value a Ford over the term of ownership.

I have worked in the Motor Trade for about 15years now, and will never again buy Ford, Alfa, Saab or ANY French car... There are good and bad in every brand, but more bad than good with the aforementioned makes.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Thewaylander
    Have to agree Therev here.

Drive wise unless you have a sporty focus it soft and dull to drive i find. and would say any of the VW group is better.
  • Surf-Matt
    The rev - errmmmm - have you driven one properly then?
    The mk5 Golf handles well but the mk4 (apart from the R32 which I had for a year) handles TERRIBLY. The Civic has a very light back end and although the CTR is quite good, it's skittery and has horrible steering (great gearchange though).

VAG cars have been riding on the old GTi success for too long - no Audi handles well (apart from the RS4 and the S3 is just about okay) - dull steering and wooden handling. Any other car from the group is flawed too. Overpriced and not actually all that good.

Jap and German USED to be the best bet for used buys but that went out of the window at least four years ago - Ford and Vx upped their game (while the French lowered theirs) and reliability surveys make a mockery of so called German quality - with Merc being a particular laughing stock. If reliability is the main thing you want, you go Jap - but that means mostly dull engines with no torque.

Even a 1.6 Focus handles brilliantly - hence it being Evo mags hero car a while back.
    And the improvement from the mk4 to the mk5 Golf? That's because VW pinched the Ford chassis engineer after seeing what a brilliant job he did on the Focus.

I'm a little shocked that because you work in the industry, you think it means you can make daft statements like the ones above. A bit like taxi drivers assuming they drive well because they drive for a job - most are terrible.

I'm IAM and Police trained (and was asked to be a trustee of the IAM - I don't have time), have tested cars for national papers and cast off my car snobbery many years ago when trying to replace my R32 with something that was less of a thief magnet. The VAG cars I tested left me cold and most still continue to do so.
  • Thewaylander
    Matt chill butty.. you get compulsive over your cars boyo ;p.

Thing is people can tell you what they think but it will be different from person to person. I personally hate the fords and generally as a passenger get out the side feeling ill as its so soft and rolls badly.

My Leon is firmer has more room inside is quicker and feels way more solid. but again feel is apersonal thing. You do not need to be the best driver to form a good opinion on a car just experience of driving the vehicles and common sence.

But from the first few posts anyone would have to worry over fords reliability.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I had a 3dr Focus Zetec on a 51 plate from new.

Sold it last Sept.

Never had any issues, ever. Great car - miss it loads.
  • Surf-Matt
    Waylander - I am chilled. I just have a rather huge dislike of those that fall for marketing and "image" based on "what they've heard" or read.

Audis, VWs, Mercs and sorts of German cars often break down yet those that fall for the hype just blinker it out. The Focus has always done well in owner surveys. Yes Fords used to be badly made but not any more - apart from the odd lemon. Same with many Vauxhalls. The mk5 Astra is a great car and well made - but it's predecessor was pants.

The Leon is fine but again it's a bit wooden in the handling and steering department. Of all the cars on that same platform, I rate Skoda's effort as the best for driver involvement.
  • Thewaylander
    having driven a 1.6 focus 54 plate (you described above as ok) i ca't see how you would describe the Leon as wooden hehe. but there we go. its an opinion.

And have to say my opinion on VW group cars is based upon our works vehicles which are audi (get to play with the A5 3ltr TDI quattro jobby, which is great fast well handling car, just a little bit to insulated in my view for a real sports coupe but can't deny its fast and goes round corner like its on rails) and garage tell us how great they are in reliabilty on services and we have no problems.

Ford have definately improved but im still not personally impressed house mate brought his home 1 year old focus in 05 and it broke down twice in two weeks, and has had various problems, and i have a few colleagues with similar issues.

VX i have to admit to liking, solid cars long lasting and second hand values are rock bottom thanks to being a largely fleet car. my only downsides to them from driving are they are not the best handling cars and they lack a little speed compared to the competition( unless its a VXR hehe)

Skoda are really good, test drove the Octavia VRS vs my Leon the tippign factor was size Octavie is HUGE! and its a little soft in comparison.

Only real way tyo tell what car will suit you is go out.. Test as many as you can and form a personal opinion on as many cars as you can-- just like a bike :p
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Think it's fair to say that the Focus is not like traditional Fords. It's really well put together and could've been made by a prestige manufacturer. I wasn't really looking for one in particular but after a test drive I was sold. There aren't many cars that I'd buy again but I'd have another Focus any day.
  • Fair points Matt, and we are all entitled to our opinions :wink: I have driven thousands of cars in my years, new & old, and in my humble opinion German & Jap have the best 'overall' package. By that I include handling, maintenance, servicing, reliability, resale value, warrenty etc...

Ive worked for Peugeot, Renault, Nissan, Rover & Volkswagen as well as outside of the dealer network, and had company cars along the way of which the Renault Megane was one of the best to drive...but it was in the workshop for 2 of the 3months I owned it! And it was far from the only fault I had with my company Renault all the three years I worked there.

Having worked for VW, I know that the Mk4 & 5 Golfs aren't great, BUT if you'd done some homework you'd also know that they modified the front ARB bushes and rear axle bushes to improve handling, and that the new Mk6 Golf has taken all of those improvements and is now World car of the year 2009. (Also see What Car review against the BMW 3series, Audi A4, Honda Accord & Ford Focus!)

It's all fairly personal, and thus subjective, so no-one is right or wrong here. I mean, not everyone agrees with Clarkson, but no-one can doubt he knows about cars! Let's agree to disagree :wink:
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Surf-Matt
    Fair enough Rev - but if they had to do a "sticking plaster" repair for the Golf, that's not a great sign. Not driven the mk6 yet but hope to do so soon.

I think VW are back on it again now with the Golf but still think the Passat is deadly dull. I do need to try and R36 though... I have a strange love of the Touraeg. My favourite luxury soft roader.

I find Clarkson funny but his car likes and dislikes just seem completely random. If I want to learn something about a new car, it has to be Evo mag.

My slightly OTT interest stems for a car obsessed Dad. For a while he went a bit bonkers - a 928 (superb) two 924 turbos (a bit cack), a Ferrari 308 GT4 (pretty cack), three uR Quattros (the last one a Treser), a 400bhp modded Ford P100 pickup (bonkers) and a 300bhp BBR Racing Mitsi Shogun (again bonkers) amoung others. Father in law is similar - I was allowed to drive their 355 for a while - that was fun - but shockingly flimsy.
  • Thewaylander
    HeHe i get it from my brother.. loves his motors.

My Favourite of his was the TVR tuscan S really insanely fast and all.. so impractical and unusable it was rediculous.. badges fell off it and all sorts but, when you started that engine and the twin motorbike exauhts oh my hehe
  • Wow, that's some array of whacked out cars! And I can see now where you've got your obsession from :wink:

Point in case about differences of opinions, has to be the Touareg! Ive driven the petrol, diesel & even the luxury v12 but just rate them as road-boats! They wallow along the road with no responce to a prod on the gas until it kicks into life and sucks all the juice from the tank at an alarming rate! The Q7 on the other hand was a pleasure to drive 8)

Have also driven the new R32, and has very good performance, handling & ride but personally dont like the DSG box they use. By far the best auto-box ive driven but dont like anything that isnt manual :wink: although the paddle shift is a nice touch!
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Surf-Matt
    The Rev - I opted for manual on my mk4 R32 and am still glad I did. The car is long gone though. As you say, DSG is great but still not the real thing.

Slightly annoyingly the next car I'm after only comes in auto/semi auto (335d) because the torque is too much for the manual box! Damn.

Waylander - a guy at work had a new Cerbera a while back. Within two months rain soaked the inside, the clutch cable snapped and loads of bits fell off. A lovely car but very flawed.

Car I've been most disappointed with? Lotus Elise 111R (197bhp) - yes it handles well (although the late shape MR2 handles just as well) but it's SO flimsy and the engine sounds like a bazzed up Nova.

Fastest car? Evo FQ360 - I nearly bought one but sense came and tapped me on the shoulder. Mind bogglingly quick and capable but a wee bit thirsty.

Most refined? A BMW 750i - fun to drive and very accomplished.

Worst? Old Vauxhall Vectra. I like most modern Vx cars but this handled so badly that I nearly totalled it on a pretty easy corner.
  • Mmmmm, Evo :P *drool*
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

• Surf-Matt
    It was an MR too - slightly lowered and generally a bit tastier looking.
    Some call them uninvolving. I call them flipping great fun!