Bombproof tires for London - HELP PLEASE!

il_principe
il_principe Posts: 9,155
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Sure I've asked this but cannot find the post.

As many of you know, my GF has started commuting. In 1 month she's had 2 p*nctures and one broken lock! Her Spesh Vita came with bog standard Spesh 700x28's. I want to get her a set of 28's that are totally bombroof. She's not quick and weight/rolling resis are not issues, what would folk recommend? I never run 28's and am at a loss, although folding tires are a must.

Cheers.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Folding & bombproof? Surely there is a compromise there?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    If weight is not an issue, why are folding tyres a must?

Conti gatorskins - I've had 3 punctures in mine over the winters (28c's) but these were from objects that would get into a car tyre (2 nails and some sort of pin). I figure it was just a run of bad luck and I'm managing somewhat rocky terrain on them okay daily now. They seem to manage between 60-90psi without pinch flats being an issue - I'm about 75kg and I 'm forever having to clip my mudguards back in (to give you an idea that I'm not that tentative). Best at about 80psi - at 90 they are very harsh and give a bouncy ride on anything but an ultra smooth surface.

I think they come in folding bead.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    New%20tractor%20tyres.JPG

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the bit about them having to be folders :oops:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Now then, I'm sure you're all going to laugh at me for saying this but I'll say it anyway...

The tyres on my bowery seem to be good fairy-resistant things. I've ridden it pretty much every week since I bought it last year, through all sorts of rubbish weather and all sorts of rubbish. I am indiscriminate with psi and not concerned about potholes and other such things, and yet have not had one visit by our fairy friend... they're the tyres that came on the bike, made by a company called Kenda.

Also, yeah, why folding?
  • Gavin Gilbert
    Gavin Gilbert Posts: 4,019
    I can't see the point of sticking to folding either, at least not if you want 28's. If you can drop to a 25 then Panaracer Extreme Duro's are my first choice in London and are normally p*nct*re free for a couple of thousand miles.

If it must be 28's then try Panaracer Paselas.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Why do they need to be foldable?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Is folding needed because it's easier for her to change a tyre?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    Schwalbe Marathon Racers? Although they come in 700 X 30 rather than 28.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I would have thought the ol' Marathon +'s would have been a good bet? Sure they don't fold but, in which case I'd probably give a second shout for the Gatorskins, bar the last time the back one went the previous visits where caused by rather large bits of glass that would have buggered most tyres! *In my defence for the visit during the ML, the road was so wet I couldn't see the glass I rode over :-)*
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    If foldability can be waived, I'd say Conti Sport Contact as it rolls quickly and also comes with the puncture warranty.

Otherwise you can't go wrong with the ubiquitous Marathon Racer or Plus - except that I have heard the compound is quite hard, so you trade grip for longer life.
  • il_principe
    They have to be folding so that I can get them over to her place easily. I'll be ordering on t'interweb and having non folding ones delivered is a PITA. Why are so many of these not folders? I use Conti GP4000's and Rubino Pro's, 23's foldable and IME v P resistant. Problem is the missus is on 28's.

I'll try Marathons then I guess. Cheers all.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    They have to be folding so that I can get them over to her place easily. I'll be ordering on t'interweb and having non folding ones delivered is a PITA. Why are so many of these not folders? I use Conti GP4000's and Rubino Pro's, 23's foldable and IME v P resistant. Problem is the missus is on 28's.

I'll try Marathons then I guess. Cheers all.

I rode with 2 SM+'s slung over each shoulder (sorta formed a weird DDD-esque tyre armour cross)
    Certainly not very comfortable, especially given the fact that I had a bag with me as I needed to chain my bike up near the shop I collected them from :?
    Tying them to a bag could be a fun option, just watch out for wing mirrors! At least with their reflective sidewalls people should see you from behind :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • il_principe
    Actually just seen the Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin comes in a 28. Anyone tried these?
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Schwalbe marathon +.

You need to get them to the machine but they are the bomb proof choice number 1.

Tell her they'll squirm a bit on overbanding though.....

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • always_tyred
    Actually just seen the Continental Ultra Gator Duraskin comes in a 28. Anyone tried these?
    I think that might have been what I meant. I can't keep up with Conti's marketing superlatives. UltraDuraRhinoGatorCrocSkins.

c.f. People's Popular Front of Judea.
  • cjcp
    I think that might have been what I meant. I can't keep up with Conti's marketing superlatives. UltraDuraRhinoGatorCrocSkins.

Splitter.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    Be a gent and de-flint her tyres every week, tell her to get away from the kerb as well.
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:

Splitter.
    F**k off, big nose.
  • spursn17
    cjcp wrote:

Splitter.
    F**k off, big nose.

Blessed are the Greek.
  • always_tyred
    Blessed are the cheese makers.
  • spursn17
    Or any manufacturers of dairy products
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
  • cjcp
    spursn17 wrote:

Slew they the goats
    And place they the bits
    In little pots.

B*ugger. Wrong film
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    spursn17 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Splitter.
    F**k off, big nose.

Blessed are the Geeks.

Fixed that for you :D
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    cjcp wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Slew they the goats
    And place they the bits
    In little pots.

B*ugger. Wrong film

What sort of films are you watching ?? :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Slew they the goats
    And place they the bits
    In little pots.

B*ugger. Wrong film

What sort of films are you watching ?? :shock:

What?!! :shock: The Meaning of Life! Get with it, man!! :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • always_tyred
    cjcp wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Slew they the goats
    And place they the bits
    In little pots.

B*ugger. Wrong film

Ni !
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    The tyres on my bowery seem to be good fairy-resistant things. I've ridden it pretty much every week since I bought it last year, through all sorts of rubbish weather and all sorts of rubbish. I am indiscriminate with psi and not concerned about potholes and other such things, and yet have not had one visit by our fairy friend...

You know she reads this board right?
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    any of the schwalbe plus range. I run the stelvio plussssss and they are awesome. Or the armadillos which are our best selling commuter tyre (evans)
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Slew they the goats
    And place they the bits
    In little pots.

B*ugger. Wrong film

Ni !

Runaway! Runaway!
    FCN 2-4.