Seriously in-depth question regarding bananas

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
Silly Question #2981248964

So... before you all say it, no I am not Willhub and, yes, I am serious.

As I understand it, bananas when unripe are very starchy - so would be low-GI. As they get more ripe, the starch turns into Glucose & Dextrin, so it increases the GI... Correct?

So should I have yellow/green bananas just as I set off for a long ride and yellow/brown bananas more regularly before sprinting, for a quick boost, etc...?

Now, back to the serious stuff. Here's a few interesting banana smileys for you.
banana1t.gifbanana2q.gifbananana.gifbab.gifbanananana.gif

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    There is useful and interesting video article on bananas here, I think, from having watched this, that you are right, about 30 seconds in it explains how bananas may be manipulated to best provide the GI Balance, I would recommend anyone interested in sports nutrition watch this article. -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    Quite an educational resource! :D
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    Bhima wrote:
    So should I have yellow/green bananas just as I set off for a long ride and yellow/brown bananas more regularly before sprinting, for a quick boost, etc...?

unless you plan on riding for several days non-stop, the green bananas are unlikely to ripen in your back pocket...
  • I so want to be rude... :twisted:

Anyway - my trainer is always hapring on about bananas and how the riper ones have a much higher GI than the less ripe ones. He still makes me chomp one before we train though as I have a tendency to pass out if I don't eat something like that beforehand.

This isn't bike training by the way. Weights and other stuff. I seem to not cope with lots of up/down side to side movements unless well loaded with fuel! Combo of low blood sugar and low blood pressure!

I haven't passed out on the bike yet! :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • I never realised eating a banana could be so complicated.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    I never realised eating a banana could be so complicated.

I know.................who'd have thought that you're meant to peel them??!!
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.