Sacrilege - Pinarello/Colnago

bikeboff
bikeboff Posts: 87
I have a question that's been bothering me for some time. I realise that it's entirely a personal decision what we do with our bikes, but I was wondering what the prevailing view might be.

Is it sacrilegious to buy a really fancy top-of-the-line racing bike - let's say a Pinarello Prince or a Colnago EPS - and then put on a compact chainset instead of a proper racing set-up?

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    As long as it's Campagnolo, a compact is fine.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No.

Sensible, especially if you get more use out of it.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Even the pros occasionally ride with compacts on their fancy bikes.

Now, if you were to put a triple on a top end bike like that, you would be hunted down and have your guy card taken away. :lol:
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    bikeboff wrote:
    I have a question that's been bothering me for some time. I realise that it's entirely a personal decision what we do with our bikes, but I was wondering what the prevailing view might be.

Is it sacrilegious to buy a really fancy top-of-the-line racing bike - let's say a Pinarello Prince or a Colnago EPS - and then put on a compact chainset instead of a proper racing set-up?

of course not
  • bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    Oh yeah, Pokerface - I quite agree. I wasn't even going to mention the 'T' word. Just think of the extra weight....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If you put a triple on you'll be hunted down by OCP section SR11 and, just when you least expect it, BAM! you'll hit the deck. In pain.

Put it this way, I was hit by an OCP section SR11 sniper on the descent to Lamaload reservoir resulting in a leg broken in 3 places and various other injuries (purely becuase I had Shimano Wheels with SRAM Group). Imagine what would happen if you had a triple? I shudder to think...
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    :lol:
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    At least it's better than a singlespeed conversion..... or (God forbid) a hub gear!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I ride a top-end Trek (6.9 Madone) and until recently had a compact on it. No biggie. I live in the Peak District - so it helped with all the hills.

Recently went back to a regular double as I'm planning on racing this year and all on flat circuits so hills aren't as big a concern.

No one can tell unless they check closely that you have a double anyway! (Until you fly by them of a 1-in-4 incline!)