The ultimate SCR tool?!

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Whilst I am off work and bored I have found:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IBBFRAT600

And I am considering making a TT bike for several reasons:

1, I would like to do a few TT races as training for triathlon is taking up too much time and the swimming stuff is not doing my hair any favours - pool chlorine and that ;-)

2, SCR - I think with a 57 chainring and an 11 - 19 cassette I could do some serious SCR damage out there (also to my knees!)

3, will be cheap to build and run!

Anyone had any experience with this frameset?

Just for th hell of it, I have lowered my position on my Boardman right down to the minimum - I will put a pic up of the difference between my seat height and bar height - it is ferocious!

Anyone ever done fixed gear TT racing?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Christ that's cheap... I'm sorely tempted by one of those.
  • System_1
    System_1 Posts: 513
    That does look very good for the money. Track ends on it too, so would even make a very decent fixed road bike. Mmmm, tempted.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    It certainly looks very nice, but how comfortable will it be and how light and stiff is it?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    You do have to wonder for 100 notes how nice a frame it is....

MUST.....NOT.......BUY........ANOTHER........FRAME.....

Arrrrggghhh
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    This has not gone unnoticed and TBH for that price does it matter? in fact I was just discussing the TT SCR potential this week with several of the assembled Morpeth elders :twisted:

It would completely destroy your FCN and you would be honour bound to scalp everything in sight from the minute you set off.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • I want one........I want one........please lovely girl friend I promise I will spend more time with you and not my mates and their bikes
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • I would have thought some sort of "whacky races" gadget, like say a grapple hook, would be the ultimate scr tool! :lol:

On a more serious note, not a bad price for a TT frame...
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Greg T
    100 notes.....

You can't really go wrong for 100 notes can you.....?

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    SCR + TT Frame = Smacks of trying

Having said that I still fancy one.
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Greg T
    Here's a question.....

What are the unique features of a TT frame vs a standard road frame?

Obviously this one has track ends - presumably a short wheel base - perhaps an overlap problem if fixed?

• [Tim]
    [Tim] Posts: 64
    It is a steal for £100! I might buy one 'just in case'

It does bring me to a new topic: What is the most over specced commuting machine? For example I am currently commuting on my 'good bike' which is a Cervelo S1 in TT mode (forward seat post position), with no spacers under the stem, tri bars, pro race 3 tyres and in full Lycra with no bottles or luggage. This is because I'm fine tuning set-up etc. ahead of my first race of the season in a month or so.

I am using this awesome set-up to cover a massive 12-15km each way at an average speed of over 32kph (30mph).

Seems a touch over the top possibly.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg T wrote:
    Here's a question.....

Obviously this one has track ends - presumably a short wheel base - perhaps an overlap problem if fixed?

Geometry. For example, shorter top tube, steeper seat tube, smaller/not as high head tube.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    Greg T wrote:
    Here's a question.....

Geometry. A TT frame will put you further forward, and will have a shorter top tube to allow you to get onto the aero bars properly. The geometry's nowhere near as comfortable as a road bike, but makes you a lot more aero.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    *considers the implications of making her first ever build a TT bike*

*really does want a TT bike*

*Wonders how much groupsets cost.*
  • *considers the implications of making her first ever build a TT bike*

Just a had a quick look

http://www.puretri.co.uk/mall/departmen ... /Groupsets

you can get them cheaper but you are buying a frame that looks the equivalent of a super model crossed with an Olympic athlete
    The doctor said I needed to start drinking more whiskey. Also, I’m calling myself ‘the doctor’ now
  • *considers the implications of making her first ever build a TT bike*

*finds out how much a rear disc wheel costs and says "eeek!"* :wink:

FWIW, I'd look for something higher end second hand...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Greg66 wrote:
    *considers the implications of making her first ever build a TT bike*

*finds out how much a rear disc wheel costs and says "eeek!"* :wink:

FWIW, I'd look for something higher end second hand...
    Whenever I think about getting a TT bike reality kicks in and says: (a) how many times a year would I ride it? (b) but look at all those eejits on their TT bikes going at 15mph in RP while on the tri-bars, (c) remember how much fun it was caning guys in full aero TT gear while on a road bike.

If (a) doesn't work (b) definitely does. (c) normally doesn't get a look in but makes me smile
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    Yeah, something second hand will also be built for me... thereby removing the risk that the first time I try to ride it it falls apart into a million tiny pieces. Chain and all.

I must never underestimate my own ineptitude

*looks at groupset link*

*wonders what SRAM is*
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    SCR + TT Frame = Smacks of trying

"smacks of"? "smacks of"? I believe it appears in teh Oxford English as the DEFINITION of trying.

J
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Nice bit of kit. I agree, you'd mess up your FCN even more than LiT if she commuted on the Maxima. But surely the ultimate SCR tool is a happy median between the fastest possible bike, with the lowest possible FCN?
    For example, http://www.moultonbicycles.co.uk/models/AMGT.html
    OK, bit expensive for commuting. But maximum FCN of 5.....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    *wonders what SRAM is*[/i]

An alternative to either Campagnolo or Shimano. They used just make bits of groupsets, like cassettes etc, then they moved up to making a full groupset. Despite being new, they seem to have built up a good reputation. a number of pro teams use them.

As for most overspecced commuting machine, it's only on loan, but a Wilier Le Roi with Racing Zero wheels, full Record groupset, Look and Ritchey WCS trimmings is perhaps a tad too much for the 2.5 miles into work in the morning...
  • lost_in_thought
    Eau Rouge wrote:

An alternative to either Campagnolo or Shimano. They used just make bits of groupsets, like cassettes etc, then they moved up to making a full groupset. Despite being new, they seem to have built up a good reputation. a number of pro teams use them.

As for most overspecced commuting machine, it's only on loan, but a Wilier Le Roi with Racing Zero wheels, full Record groupset, Look and Ritchey WCS trimmings is perhaps a tad too much for the 2.5 miles into work in the morning...

:lol:

If it's nice enough to sit outside on friday, I've promised the Morpeth-ers I'll bring the Maxima. This means I'll commute on it. For 7 miles. :oops:
  • stuaff
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Not strictly true- SRAM are fairly new to road kit, but they're not to mountain bike & hybrid kit (well, a mere 22 years is obviously short compared to Camapgnolo or Shimano...). My Jetstream has a SRAM X9 derailleur and DualDrive hub- very nice kit. And their hub gear business is/was Sachs (another venerable name).
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • stuaff
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    If it's nice enough to sit outside on friday, I've promised the Morpeth-ers I'll bring the Maxima. This means I'll commute on it. For 7 miles. :oops:

Only 7 miles....shouldn't you go a long way round? :)
  • If it's nice enough to sit outside on friday, I've promised the Morpeth-ers I'll bring the Maxima. This means I'll commute on it. For 7 miles. :oops:

Sweet. I'm riding in on Bike 2 at the mo, so we can leave them to scamper and gambol together...

Let's hope Jash doesn't bring the Prince. If there's three of them it's inevitable that they'll fight.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • [Tim] wrote:

It does bring me to a new topic: What is the most over specced commuting machine? For example I am currently commuting on my 'good bike' which is a Cervelo S1 in TT mode (forward seat post position), with no spacers under the stem, tri bars, pro race 3 tyres and in full Lycra with no bottles or luggage. This is because I'm fine tuning set-up etc. ahead of my first race of the season in a month or so.

I am using this awesome set-up to cover a massive 12-15km each way at an average speed of over 32kph (30mph).

Easy. Either Jash on his Prince or l_i_t on her Maxima.

Under no circumstances would it be Bike 1. Or Bike 2. :wink:

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • gtvlusso wrote:
    Whilst I am off work and bored I have found:

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... IBBFRAT600

And I am considering making a TT bike for several reasons:

1, I would like to do a few TT races as training for triathlon is taking up too much time and the swimming stuff is not doing my hair any favours - pool chlorine and that ;-)

2, SCR - I think with a 57 chainring and an 11 - 19 cassette I could do some serious SCR damage out there (also to my knees!)

3, will be cheap to build and run!

4, Anyone had any experience with this frameset?

Just for th hell of it, I have lowered my position on my Boardman right down to the minimum - I will put a pic up of the difference between my seat height and bar height - it is ferocious!

5, Anyone ever done fixed gear TT racing?

1) If you're a triathlete, do you not already have an aero tri bike? You can TT on that.

2) If you use a 57 ring you'll do about 10 rpm. Unless you are consistently above 30mph, or like to pedal really slowly, you don't need it. Looks good though. I really wouldn't recommend a TT steed for in town commuting due to the riding position. Having said that, I did do the 20mile Edinburgh-Linlithgow commute on my P3 a couple of times.

3) Depends what you stick on it. That Mavic disc in the pic is well north of £1k. I could probably build a decent TT bike for 500, going for 2nd hand transmission and wheels.

4) I cannot find a geometry chart for this frameset. For a proper TT position you need the shortest head tube, and therefor seat tube, you can get away with. Ideally the top tube should be 2-3cm shorter than the road bike, and possibly another cm off the stem. Also, this will be 130mm spaced rear dropouts, not 120mm as per a track iron, so to use as a fixed gear, as someone suggested, will require some modification of the rear axle.

5) Yes. I did a 25 mile TT in 1.03:xx on 50x15 (90 inch). 90rpm in 50x15 is 25mph, so I don't really need anything bigger than that. Quite good fun really, as the bike just rolls along. The climbs were interesting, to say the least.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Greg66 wrote:

Sweet. I'm riding in on Bike 2 at the mo, so we can leave them to scamper and gambol together...

Let's hope Jash doesn't bring the Prince. If there's three of them it's inevitable that they'll fight.

I might bring Il Principe*, perhaps even with his Aero Wheels on - just to really take the pi$$.**

*Il Principe doesn't do fighting, he has his minions to that for him - FP 1,2,3 & 5.

**although I won't be able to pi$$, I'll be too busy keeping an eye on my bike
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    [Tim] wrote:

Sweet Jesus!

*hides.
  • georgio15
    georgio15 Posts: 77
    [Tim] wrote:

what do you mean 32 kph (30 mph). 32 kph is 19.88 mph and 30 mph is 48.28 kph?