Petition for Bike Scrappage scheme £100 off new bike

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    How is that supposed to help British manufacturing companies, or have an environmental benefit?

It would make more sense to have VAT reduced/removed from new bikes to entice more people away from their cars.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    The government already has a "money off a new bike" scheme in operation for a long while now.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    The government already has a "money off a new bike" scheme in operation for a long while now.

Still, that relies upon one's employer implementing such a scheme, and not all will.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Agent57 wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Still, that relies upon one's employer implementing such a scheme, and not all will.

Yep.

My new employer is a NHS Trust that has a serious problem with parking. First day there and getting sorted out for ID etc and one of the questions I'm asked is "do I need to park on site?" If so I can get a permit, which would only add to the problem. Cost is minimal too, something like £3 a month.

On the other hand, if I want to take advantage of either their bus pass scheme, or their cycle to work scheme, I have to be there for 6 months as that is when I would be past the probationary period, and if I do so it will be taken out of my pay.

So, they don't care if I drive in for the first 6 months, but are worried if I do it after that? Or they want me to buy a bike and ride it in whenever possible, and then after 6 months buy another one? They're happy for me to pay stuff all on parking a car there, but want me to cough up for bike parking at a much higher monthly rate?

I don't get that attitude, but to be fair neither does the environment officer who administers such things as the trust, its all down to the higher management.

And this is for an organisation that is being told by the local council that they can't address the serious shortage of ward space etc by building new buildings, unless they deal with the parking problem first!
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....