Rebellin positive at olympics

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,096
    I'm saddened but can't say I'm surprised.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    that's bad...a sad end to a good career..
  • iainf72
    Savio recently wrote in Procycling that Tin Tin said "tranquilo" in a race earlier in the year. The system never fails.

Agree it's a bit sad but he escaped justice a few years ago.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    How hard is Brian Smith laughing about that other thread now?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Retirement time.
    Another perfectly timed kick in the b*lls for cycling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    CERA? Gerolsteine?? Rebellin???

I'm sure there is no link there?
  • dave_1
    why would he go to the olympics wi cera in him knowing he was fucked if he went there...I guess his use of it predates Ricco being caught, predates Sella...so why not cancel...say he was ill? It amazes me
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited April 2009
    Another Gerolsteiner rider nabbed. Austrian connection via Matschiner? Or was - as widely suspected - half the bunch on CERA in the past two years and getting it everywhere?

A shame though. I met the guy a few times on training rides, a real gentleman. For as long as I could keep up with him, he was doing hill intervals. He was with Liquigas at the time.
    iainf72 wrote:
    Savio recently wrote in Procycling
    I suspect that's Daniel Friebe ghostwriting.
  • iainf72
    Dave_1 wrote:
    why would he go to the olympics wi cera in him knowing he was farked if he went there...I guess his use of it predates Ricco being caught, predates Sella...so why not cancel...say he was ill? It amazes me

Would you like my theory? No? Well, I'll give it anyway.

CERA use was fairly widespread. While some people got nabbed in the Tour for the urine test a significant portion didn't. They figured with some careful management they could get away with it.

Then that blasted blood test for it came along and narrowed it further.

6 other positives for it and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were cycling.
  • DavMartinR
    I do hope for the UCI's sake that he was on their list of suspects.
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    CERA use was fairly widespread. While some people got nabbed in the Tour for the urine test a significant portion didn't. They figured with some careful management they could get away with it.
    This is my suspicion too, it explains the performance of some riders and the UCI's refusal to retro-test the samples from the 2008 Giro.
  • iainf72
    It's 4 sports.

Athletics, Rowing, Cycling and Swimming
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    your theorys probly pretty true remember what ricco said when he got caight?

how the testers got him twice instead of 10 times

5 other olympians??
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    Athletics, Rowing, Cycling and Swimming
    All CERA = http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/olympic ... 023665.stm
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "Tin Tin Out"
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Any rumblings on who the other 5 athletes are?
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    why would he go to the olympics wi cera in him knowing he was farked if he went there...I guess his use of it predates Ricco being caught, predates Sella...so why not cancel...say he was ill? It amazes me

6 other positives for it and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them were cycling.

Not forgetting proximity of dates and timings. The Kohl result didn't come back until post-Olympics so it's possible that people were still on a course of CERA when Ricco got nabbed or thought they wouldn't on the balance of probability.

Plus didn't Rebellin plan to retire at the end of last season?

I've been trying to filter down the possibilities based on there being one athlete who tested positive twice for CERA from the wire copy I read. I keep on coming down to one name :roll:

Then again, there's plenty of other sports where it could have been in use...
  • dave_1
    iainf72 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

I like your theories Iainf..please keep giving them on here..you are probably bang on. So perhaps a refined test is what busted him rather than the exact testing that busted Ricco, Sella, Piepoli. I was just thinking maybe he took some mid july and it hadn't left his system totally. One more doper down...another vacancy for new rider..
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    These were the CERA retests, right?

Have to hand it to Rebellin - he was caught on video FFS and still managed to keep getting away with it. I won't miss him.
  • DavMartinR
    How come only the cyclist gets named? Do the IOC have the right to release the names or do they pass on the evidence to the relevent sporting bodies?
  • dave_1
    edited April 2009
    Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    This is my suspicion too, it explains the performance of some riders and the UCI's refusal to retro-test the samples from the 2008 Giro.

I don't know if I'd want them retested...could be a shitload of cyclists straight on the dole who are not connected to it...sometimes cover up is maybe best?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I think CONI have just been faster off the blocks than the other national committees, if the BBC report is anything to go by.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • BrianS
    BrianS Posts: 112
    drenkrom wrote:
    How hard is Brian Smith laughing about that other thread now?

not laughing...saddened for cycling....i thought we were over the worst!

New generation kicking in which is positive.
  • Rhods
    Rhods Posts: 400
    Hate to sound stupid but what does "tranquilo" mean in the context mentioned earlier in this thread. Am relatively new to following the pros, but have seen it a few times now.

What do people make of his recent win then? "Assisted"?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Well, here's a stupid question. How does this "news agency" know the name if the IOC
    didn't release the name? Not one way or another about who(other than sad for the sport) but how do these names get out there if the governing body hasn't "released" the names?

Dennis Noward
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    dennisn wrote:
    Well, here's a stupid question. How does this "news agency" know the name if the IOC
    didn't release the name? Not one way or another about who(other than sad for the sport) but how do these names get out there if the governing body hasn't "released" the names?

Dennis Noward

It's called a leak. You can't seriously not know that.
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    More detailed report from AP here: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/art ... AD97RM3K02

So from that I read it as the other cyclist not being a medallist which probably scotches at least one of "cyclists most likely" from the list.
  • Kléber
    Rhods wrote:
    Hate to sound stupid but what does "tranquilo" mean in the context mentioned earlier in this thread.
    "I am calm": it's funny how some literal translation by cyclingnews has created this loaded phrase. I think estoy tranquilo really means "I'm happy with things", "I'm cool with it". The same for io sono tranquillo in Italian. After all, no one in English really says "I am calm", it sounds wooden if you translate it directly.

Not that I'm being fussy about the translation, it's more that the literal - but wrong - translation has taken its own meaning amongst us cynics. "Calm" really means "I'm in denial", "I've got my lawyers on speedial" or "hell, my career and reputation are dangling by a thread". Similarly "preparation" is double-entendre stuff, it does not mean training, it means getting loaded on CERA.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Explains his easy win in Fleche last week too - he wasnt even out of breath on that hill.

Cheating git. Good riddance.
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Apparently the positives come from cycling (2), athletics (3 including one gold medallist) and weight lifting (1)

So we have another bit of good news on the way :roll: