Tour of Gila-Astana in

dave_1
dave_1 Posts: 9,512
edited April 2009 in Pro race
A small event...but Horner, Leiphemer and bikeradar's favourite cyclist will start after all

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Dave_1 wrote:
    A small event...but Horner, Leiphemer and bikeradar's favourite cyclist will start after all

Burke Swindlehurst?
  • dave_1
    afx237vi wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

Burke Swindlehurst?

I hope Horner smokes them all...seems like he could ride for himself he is that strong, by all accounts he saved Levi L's ToC in stage 2 and won Contador the Tour of Basque country a few weeks back...so yeah, i'll follow the event news...
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    So the rules get bent. I suppose the race organiser benefits from the bigger names but I wonder if the UCI would twist things to help Agritubel or Vacansoleil as much? What is the point of rules if they can be suspended when some people feel like it?

This is what gets me with the UCI, it's the inconsistency of the rules. One minute they say one thing, the next minute they do another and you get the impression that the bigger and wealthier you are, the more the rules are suspended in your favour.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kléber wrote:
    So the rules get bent. I suppose the race organiser benefits from the bigger names but I wonder if the UCI would twist things to help Agritubel or Vacansoleil as much? What is the point of rules if they can be suspended when some people feel like it?

This is what gets me with the UCI, it's the inconsistency of the rules. One minute they say one thing, the next minute they do another and you get the impression that the bigger and wealthier you are, the more the rules are suspended in your favour.

Just how wealthy are BMC Racing Team anyway ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:

Kleber see it from the riders point of view...they will be pleased I guess to race with such big names...and the organisers happy a race that was struggling financially will get a boost now.....see it from the riders point of view, and the race organisers...they now have a big race...do you want a small race or a bankrupt race?
  • Kléber
    I know what you mean, I did say "the race organiser benefits" above.

But if this is so, let's have some proper rules rather than a situation where people pick and mix the ones that suit them.

What if you're on a second stream team and you lose out to a pro team rider who was let into the race through the rules being bent, you might feel your chance to win a decent race has been unfairly suspended?
  • dave_1
    edited April 2009
    Kléber wrote:
    I know what you mean, I did say "the race organiser benefits" above.

But if this is so, let's have some proper rules rather than a situation where people pick and mix the ones that suit them.

What if you're on a second stream team and you lose out to a pro team rider who was let into the race through the rules being bent, you might feel your chance to win a decent race has been unfairly suspended?

fair enough...it seems a really small event ...many different age groups in it...from what I could say LA, Horner and LL were going training instead, so at least they will be on the radar for testing at this event

and for the riders in the race...it's I imagine I highlight on the resume...raced with a best so and so even...
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Wow, more rule bending.
    Pat does a lot of "bending" for Lance. :oops:
    I wonder if Dick pound would like to comment. :roll:
    Kleber: the voice of reason, once again.

Gila-Monster-Hissing.jpg
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    What, so it's not Burke Swindlehurst? (I just love that guy's name. I want him to go into business with Bernie Madoff.)
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    sorry, who cares, this can't be seen as breaking news.... it might be breaking news if he picked up the flew there....
  • moray_gub
    Wow, more rule bending.

Kleber: the voice of reason, once again.

mmmm yet he says the rules are bent for the wealthy but in this instance the BMC racing team were given permission to ride so im still waiting for the voice of reason to tell me how wealthy they are.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Moray Gub wrote:
    mmmm yet he says the rules are bent for the wealthy but in this instance the BMC racing team were given permission to ride so im still waiting for the voice of reason to tell me how wealthy they are.

I'm not going to be too critical here, as I'm not sure of the exact circumstances.

However, BMC had been allowed entry to this race, some weeks ago, with a full team rota of 8.
    In order to "accomodate" Lance, Levi and Chris, 5 (Tony Cruz, Thomas Frei, Martin Kohler, Jackson Stewart and Jonathan Garcia.)
    of those riders have now packed their bags and left Silver City.
    From CNs:-
    Professional Continental team BMC has called on the International Cycling Union (UCI) and USA Cycling to commence dialogue on finding a solution that allows outfits at its level to compete in smaller American races. The request comes after it was forced to reduce its roster to allow Astana riders to contest this week's SRAM Tour of the Gila, with both teams having to wear non-descript clothing.

How they got in, in the first place, I'm unclear about. US forum sentiment is mixed.
    Here's one quote from the BMC angle:-

has anyone taken the time to consider the implications for BMC in all of this?

Pro-conti teams have always been able to race NRC races and these teams have helped increased the level of cycling in the U.S. These teams have also given a number of americans the in-between step needed between a domestic team and a full ProTour team. Taking away the opportunity for these riders to race in their home country while also aspiring in Europe is a nearsighted decision that will only hinder the development of American cyclists. Also of note is that BMC fields more American riders at domestic NRC races than many of the continental teams. If we're going to enforce this rule, we might as well limit the number of foreign riders on Continental teams, as most European countries do.

I know Lance is BIG news for this event, but this decision is BAD news for American cycling.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    That's a real kick in the nuts for BMC Racing. What a wrong headed decision, you're basically undermining a sponsor committed to the US domestic scene to support who exactly? A conglomerate of sponsors from a former soviet republic. How times have changed.
  • moray_gub
    edited April 2009

How they got in, in the first place, I'm unclear about. US forum sentiment is mixed.
    Here's one quote from the BMC angle:-

i]

Looks like BMC had been bypassing rule UCI code 2.1.009 all along and at other events and when Astana wanted to do the same they were turned down. So originally it was one rule for one and one for another in this case BMC over Astana...........interesting.
  • moray_gub
    andyp wrote:
    That's a real kick in the nuts for BMC Racing. What a wrong headed decision, you're basically undermining a sponsor committed to the US domestic scene to support who exactly? A conglomerate of sponsors from a former soviet republic. How times have changed.

Or look at it another way youre allowing Astana do exactly as BMC had been doing at other events. Is this a case of BMC wanting to have their cake and eat it here ?
  • Kléber
    Burke finished fifth yesterday:

1 Levi Leipheimer (Mellow Johnny's) 3.36.02
    2 Peter Stetina (Felt-Holowesko Partners-) 0.49
    3 Christopher Baldwin (BOULDER) 1.00
    4 Matt Cooke (RideClean) 1.12
    5 Burke Swindlehurst (Bissell Pro Cycling) 1.18

If I was Pete Stetina (a promising U-23 rider), I'd be really hacked off that the rules were ignored to let a "ringer" like Levi into the race.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Kleber see it from the riders point of view...they will be pleased I guess to race with such big names...

On the one hand - I would think many of the riders WOULD be happy to now be racing alongside Lance and Levi. On the other hand, anyone in the race that previously might have had thoughts of winning it overall - should be a little pissed right now as I suspect Levi is going to easily take the title.

How happy would YOU be if some big-name pro swooped in and took the win away from you? (To the guy that ends up coming second or possibly 3rd or 4th if both Lance and Chris also end up on the podium!)....
  • dave_1
    Kléber wrote:
    Burke finished fifth yesterday:

1 Levi Leipheimer (Mellow Johnny's) 3.36.02
    2 Peter Stetina (Felt-Holowesko Partners-) 0.49
    3 Christopher Baldwin (BOULDER) 1.00
    4 Matt Cooke (RideClean) 1.12
    5 Burke Swindlehurst (Bissell Pro Cycling) 1.18

If I was Pete Stetina (a promising U-23 rider), I'd be really hacked off that the rules were ignored to let a "ringer" like Levi into the race.

maybe Stetina will get noticed in Europe though because he is that good and some of the other names. Terrible shame about BMC. This raced could have gone down the tubes without the attention it is now getting..
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Levi, Lance and Chris are just awesome! how great they must be to be able to go into such an event as the Gila with all the other experienced pros and big names and still get a win without an entire team!

I expect Astana could probably get them an entry into some junior races too, it'll just raise the profile of them right, then they could beat up on some 12year olds too.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    guys - it's referred to as the SRAM tour of Gila

prize to the first person to spot which pro cyclist has a financial stake in SRAM....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • afx237vi
    edhornby wrote:
    guys - it's referred to as the SRAM tour of Gila

prize to the first person to spot which pro cyclist has a financial stake in SRAM....

Burke Sw... never mind. I'll shut up now. I just checked to see if he's on Twitter. He's not. I'm disappointed.