Which Bike Manufacturer?

LAW4778
LAW4778 Posts: 232
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi everyone as i am a newbie at this modern MTBing game i must say i am really enjoying it even though i am starting out on an old Raliegh, sometime in the near future i will be spending some money on a new bike depending on the route i go i will be spending about £1000-1500 on a full suss or £500-1000 on a decent hardtail havent decided on that yet, the makes of bikes i am interested in and the reasons are,

1. Specialized (seem to have somthing in all price ranges and i remenber them as kid being a top quality bike, i think some of their bikes are a bit plane looking though)
2. Marin (i like the look of their bikes but they do seem a bit pricey for something like an equivilent specialized)
3. Cube (a bit pricey but the designs are awsome and i feel as though they are a bit different, something you wouldn't see everyday)
4. Trek (i like some of the designs and i haven't really read anything bad about them)
5. Commencal (same reason as cube but their specs don't seem that good compared to equivilent bikes from some of the above)
6. Possibly Orange (like their designs and they are also built in my home town a bit pricey though)

There are various bikes from each manufacture that i like the look of and the spec is quite confusing, for now i just want to pick one manufacture that i can choose a couple of bikes and go source them and have a good look over and hopefully have a demo,

My question is how do you all see the above manufactures in terms of value for money and most of all the quality of their product also spec choice and the componants they use, sorry for the long thread, i dont know how to make this into a poll so for ease any one that does reply just put the manufactures in the number order of how you rate them with any fedback you may want to give, cheers everyone for taking the time to read this,

Lee[/list]
Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)

Comments

• with a Marin the biggest thing for money is the frames, they're beautifully made and finished off and that takes away budget from other bits. What it means however is that you have something you could stick full xt/xtr/sram x.0 stuff on, expensive wheels, good forks and the best finishing kit and it wouldn't feel bad. Infinite upgradeability :)
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    LAW4778 wrote:
    My question is how do you all see the above manufactures in terms of value for money and most of all the quality of their product also spec choice and the componants they use
    That's a tough question. Every single niche in the market is filled with multiple choices and none of the mainstream manufacturers offer anything outstanding when a few quid can make or break a sale. For a given price point, the bikes are identical and a lot depends on which colour you prefer.

From your list, I'd say Marin offer marginally the lowest VFM - they are the world leaders at speccing an XT mech to distract from a penny-pinching wheelset. Specialized are OK and Trek have turned a corner just recently but really you have to look very carefully at the spec details before you decide. A great frame with budget parts is a very costly platform to upgrade and it's far better to buy the best bike you can afford and upgrade when something breaks.
  • DC01
    DC01 Posts: 333
    Aftersales is also impoortant imho. Trek warranty are second to none, Orange and Marin also good and specialized can be a bit hit miss. Also if you can. Purchase you bike over the counter from a registered dealer. I know the internet is good to find a bargain, but i would rather have a direct point of contact and build a rapour with the dealer, which i think is worth the extra you may pay. Rather that than a faceless e mail from a shop when your new pride and joy developes teething problems.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    DC01 wrote:
    specialized can be a bit hit miss.
    Really?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • LAW4778
    Thanks guys, initialy i keep looking at Specialized especially the FSR XC Comp it seems a good bike for the money, just to throw another into the mix the Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo if i decide to go hardtail, will be going on my first proper off road ride this weekend so will see if my arse can take a pounding on the solid frame of my Raliegh then next week im having my mates Marin full suss for six weeks so i ll see if i take to that.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    LAW4778 wrote:
    Thanks guys, initialy i keep looking at Specialized especially the FSR XC Comp it seems a good bike for the money,
    Indeed it is.

You might also consider Trek Fuel Ex and the Boardman FS range.

Have a look at the full suss sticky.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I wouldn't concentrate on the brand so much, but shortlist models that suit you and then test them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    supersonic wrote:
    I wouldn't concentrate on the brand so much, but shortlist models that suit you and then test them.

as above.

they all buy the kit from the same places. :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    definately buy a specialized, they are the best.
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Buy a Giant.The world`s largest bicyce manufacturer,and therefore able to invest in the best frame building and suspension technolgies.Make the frames for most other brands anyway..... :wink:
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i genuinely would recommend a specialized as their range is pretty good and the fsr xc is reputed to be a very good bike for the money.

the OP made reference to warranty care and i doubt there are many bike companies who handle it better, tis the beauty of dealing with a massive bike company with an enormous budget
  • LAW4778
    Buy a Giant.The world`s largest bicyce manufacturer,and therefore able to invest in the best frame building and suspension technolgies.Make the frames for most other brands anyway..... :wink:

Just don't fancy Giant what so ever it seems like in car terms buying a Toyota and i would never have one of them, just to throw another in what does everyone think of Gary Fisher bikes?
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    How about Focus? i find them really similar to CUBE in design but cheaper for the similar specs bike.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • DC01
    DC01 Posts: 333
    Daz555 wrote:
    DC01 wrote:
    specialized can be a bit hit miss.
    Really?

I just had a couple of bad experiences with them. Good bikes, but just lost a bit of faith in the brand. Will clarify though that it wasn t all specialized fault. Local dealer at the time was having staff issues.
  • LAW4778 wrote:

Just don't fancy Giant what so ever it seems like in car terms buying a Toyota and i would never have one of them, just to throw another in what does everyone think of Gary Fisher bikes?

Fisher are now owned by trek & most of them have similar features which kinda trickle down from the 'main' brand (trek) to fishers. the Hoo-koo-hee-koo got a good test result in WMB recently too. Also consider Genesis.

Just been out on my marin & the more I ride it, the more I love it!
    Start Weight 18st 13lbs March 2009
    17st 10lbs August 2009
    17st 4lbs October 2009
    15st 12lbs December 2010

Final planned weight 12st 7lbs