The UCI. Again

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    iainf72 wrote:

Sounds like more of an opinion than actual news. Lots of so called "news" these days
    is simply sensationalism or opinion. Try not to believe everything you read simply because it suits YOUR views.

Dennis Noward
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986
    I just imagine some poor webmonkey rolling their eyes in despair as once again they are forced to put that on the site because that's what management wants to waste their time with. It's much the same as the way in which the Sir Humphreys of this world humour the more ludicrous obsessions of government ministers.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,097
    Do you think that came from the president of the UCI's office or the vice-president of the UCI's office?

Looks to me like the latter, thus continuing their long running spat. :roll:
  • iainf72 wrote:
    What a bunch of ∑å~˚´®s. I particularly like this bit:

'The UCI does not wish to become involved in the details of a procedure carried out by the AFLD.'

Pardon me, but hasn't McQuaid already shouted his mouth of several times about just this issue? :roll:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    If the UCI doesn't care for Pound's opinion, perhaps they should stop goading him? The press release is a bit undignified, as it personally targets Pound (now seemingly called Richard, not Dick :wink: )

If I was running the press release and under duress from The Clown then I'd just say something like:
    "the UCI noted the statements from the Chancellor of McGill University, Mr Richard Pound, and does not wish to comment directly on the matter between Mr Armstrong and the AFLD as it is a civil concern between these two parties.

Nevertheless, we would like to remind those concerned that the UCI is fully signed up to the WADA code, supports the AFLD and has taken additional measures, such as haematological and endocrinal screening, aka "the Blood Passport", which exceed measures taken all other IOC recognised governing bodies.

We are committed to a clean sport and wish Mr Pound an peaceful retirement".
  • Kléber wrote:
    We are committed to a clean sport and wish Mr Pound a peaceful retirement".
    That reminds me, whatever happened to the UCI's threats to sue Pound for 'libel'? Was this just a piece of Armstrong-like bluff?
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    takes me back ... to first grade school.

"he started it ... who smelt it dealt it ... my dad's bigger than your dad"
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • dennisn
    Kléber wrote:
    If the UCI doesn't care for Pound's opinion, perhaps they should stop goading him? The press release is a bit undignified, as it personally targets Pound (now seemingly called Richard, not Dick :wink: )

If I was running the press release and under duress from The Clown then I'd just say something like:
    "the UCI noted the statements from the Chancellor of McGill University, Mr Richard Pound, and does not wish to comment directly on the matter between Mr Armstrong and the AFLD as it is a civil concern between these two parties.

Nevertheless, we would like to remind those concerned that the UCI is fully signed up to the WADA code, supports the AFLD and has taken additional measures, such as haematological and endocrinal screening, aka "the Blood Passport", which exceed measures taken all other IOC recognised governing bodies.

We are committed to a clean sport and wish Mr Pound an peaceful retirement".

I don't believe your "press release" is anything of the sort. It's not news, it belongs on the opinion page. For me it has become very hard to find news these days. Seems that most media have decided to, sort of, rewrite things to suit their ideas and to push their agenda.
    That agenda being to sell copy and to print whatever sells the most copy. Be it truth, half truth, or a complete line of crap. I do read and follow what going on in the world(at least
    what they tell me is going on) but am careful to watch and listen for that bit of a rant that
    news anchors and newspapers(and all of us) are all guilty of, after which it ceases to be news and enters the realm of opinion.

Dennis Noward
  • sicrow
    sicrow Posts: 791
    For once and I do dislike many many things with the UCI, I do agree with the press release.
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    But is this the kind of thing that should be published by a responsible authority? As liversedge says, it's infantile. You keep this kind of petty petulant behaviour indoors.
  • Kléber
    Look, Pound opens his mouth a bit. But don't roll in the gutter with him, especially as he's retired from WADA now. He's a lawyer and university chancellor now, he's not part of WADA. So there's no need to dignify him with an official press release, no need to comment on everyone and everything.

There's clearly some animosity on both sides from the past - see Pound's "if the UCI was any more blind, they'd need white sticks" quote - but this personal sniping is below a governing body.
  • andyp
    Well put Kleber. What's the quote. "avoid wrestling with a pig, you both end up covered in shit and the pig enjoys it"?
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    This press release really says everything you need to know about the quality of the leadership at the UCI :roll: Absolutely agree, Kleber - responding to stuff you don't agree with only dignifies it. A dignified silence would have been better. Or is McQuaid not just Verbruggen's sockpuppet, but Armstrong's too these days?

Whatever - Pound shot his mouth off some time ago and everyone had forgotten about it - we're all going 'onwards'. To drag it all up again now is just puerile.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    micron wrote:
    This press release really says everything you need to know about the quality of the leadership at the UCI :roll: Absolutely agree, Kleber - responding to stuff you don't agree with only dignifies it. A dignified silence would have been better. Or is McQuaid not just Verbruggen's sockpuppet, but Armstrong's too these days?

Whatever - Pound shot his mouth off some time ago and everyone had forgotten about it - we're all going 'onwards'. To drag it all up again now is just puerile.

Dont you think he has a point though about how cycling seems to be treated very differently than other sports ? I see nothing wrong with the UCI making that point and really neither should any of you.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Kléber
    Pound has attacked ice hockey, American Football, cross country skiing, even golf. He's a loudmouth and was selected for this basis to run WADA, to give it some clout and muscle. Now that it's up and running, the smoother John Fahey is in place.
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:
    ...Pound shot his mouth off some time ago and everyone had forgotten about it - we're all going 'onwards'. To drag it all up again now is just puerile.
    Dont you think he has a point though about how cycling seems to be treated very differently than other sports ? I see nothing wrong with the UCI making that point and really neither should any of you.
    Why? Who cares what happens in other sports? I am not interested in football, or tennis or whatever. What I want is bike racing that I can believe in.

Also, this `What about them` attitude smacks a little too much of the petulant whining you get from people such as speeders and drink-drivers who claim that they are being `victimised` and argue that the police should go and hassle someone else instead.
  • micron
    But there are ways to make the point that other sports may have a problem and that isn't through a press release some weeks after somebody said something about an incident that is now over. That's palyground p*ssing contest stuff.

The way to do it would be to call an anti doping conference, in concert with the UCI, where cycling sets out its stall and suggests that, as the sport at the forefront of the fight against doping, other sports follow cycling's initiatives. Stop being victimised and be pro active.

Sorry, I forgot, the UCI is more interested in defending its vested interests than cleaning up the sport.
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    I think were seeing a perfect example of poor leadership at the UCI. Perhaps its the way appointments are made.
  • micron
    Surprised they don't just tweet it all instead :roll:
  • dennisn
    aurelio wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:
    ...Pound shot his mouth off some time ago and everyone had forgotten about it - we're all going 'onwards'. To drag it all up again now is just puerile.
    I am not interested in football, or tennis or whatever. What I want is bike racing that I can believe in.

I don't buy it. You seem to want bike racing that you can constantly complain about.
    Lighten up. It's not that important in the grand scheme of things.

Dennis Noward
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    dennisn wrote:

I don't buy it. You seem to want bike racing that you can constantly complain about.

Do you think those people on teams who've folded because of doping and lost their jobs feel it's not important in the grand scheme of things?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • moray_gub
    aurelio wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    micron wrote:
    Why? Who cares what happens in other sports? I am not interested in football, or tennis or whatever. What I want is bike racing that I can believe in.

From what i can see i dont think you are really interested in bike racing in any shape or form as it is today indeed you have already said as much previously. So really you shouldnt give a monkeys one way or the other.
  • Kléber
    MG, I think Aurelio wants to see a cleaner sport, that's all. It the UCI keep bungling things, he's going to get more frustrated. Ultimately we probably all want a cleaner, healthier and more attractive sport.

Have a look at Dick Pound's Wikipedia entry, there is a long list of people and organisations he's picked a fight with, there's a whole section on controversies:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Pound#Controversies
  • moray_gub
    iainf72 wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

Do you think those people on teams who've folded because of doping and lost their jobs feel it's not important in the grand scheme of things?

Iain lighten up ffs In the grand scheme of things to most people in here its not that important or life affecting to them Sure it can be disapointing if its a sport you follow but how important was it to you personally or financially or mentally or in some other way that a rider lost his job. Is it any more important in the grand scheme of things than say when Woolworths staff lost their jobs ?
  • Kléber
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Is it any more important in the grand scheme of things than say when Woolworths staff lost their jobs ?
    Yes, since this is a cycling website. Maybe to the man on the bus it's less important but for cycling fans the UCI matters a lot more, just as the winner of the LBL doesn't matter that much to most people, unless you like cycling.
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    MG, I think Aurelio wants to see a cleaner sport, that's all. It the UCI keep bungling things, he's going to get more frustrated. Ultimately we probably all want a cleaner, healthier and more attractive sport.

/quote]

Of course we all want a cleaner sport but the sport we have at the moment without getting all sentimental is still the sport we all love and follow religiously despite its problems . Aurelio has already said he isnt interested in watching the TDF or Giro , i dont understand how a pro cycling fan doesnt want to or is not interested in watching races like the Giro or the Tour.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Nobody likes a big mouth especially when they always seem to be right.

Thought Pound's comment on Floyd Landis was funny.

Pound declared "I mean, it was 11 to 1!" referring to the testosterone-to-epitestosterone level. "You’d think he’d be violating every virgin within 100 miles. How does he even get on his bicycle?"

:lol:
  • dennisn
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Kléber wrote:

/quote]

Of course we all want a cleaner sport but the sport we have at the moment without getting all sentimental is still the sport we all love and follow religiously despite its problems . Aurelio has already said he isnt interested in watching the TDF or Giro , i dont understand how a pro cycling fan doesnt want to or is not interested in watching races like the Giro or the Tour.

Really, what kind of "fan" doesn't want to watch the biggest events in their chosen sport?
    It's like saying "love football - hate the Super Bowl". Doesn't make sense.

Dennis Noward
  • andyp
    dennisn wrote:
    It's like saying "love football - hate the Super Bowl". Doesn't make sense.
    It does on this side of the pond Dennis. :wink:
  • Moray Gub wrote:
    i dont understand how a pro cycling fan doesnt want to or is not interested in watching races like the Giro or the Tour.
    For the hard of understanding...

I haven't said that I won't watch any of the Tour or Giro. I have said that I won't bother going to see these events at the side of the road.

As to why I might watch some of these races on TV, well the scenery is often good. (Twenty percent of those who watch the race on TV in France do so simply to see the helicopter shots of the countryside).

I would love to be able to get enthused about the 'battles' for the GC on the climbs and in the TT's, but in all seriousness how can anyone do this, knowing that the 'winner' might well be simply the rider with the best doping program? For as long as doping is a primary determinant of who ends up on the podium (Riis, Landis, Pantani, Indurain, Armstrong...), one might was well get all excited about who 'wins' the latest WWF match.