Yorkshire Dales Cycleway - First Tour?

Mike Howarth
Mike Howarth Posts: 75
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys

Just wanting a quick sanity check from the more experienced tourers amongst you.

Basically I find myself at a lose end over the bank holiday weekend and I'll be up in Settle on Friday.

My plan is to do a slightly abridged version of the Yorkshire Dales Cycleway as a bit of an intro in to cycle touring and as the start of my preparations for a trip out to New Zealand later in the year.

My basic plan is as follows:

Saturday - Settle -> Hawes
Sunday - Hawes -> Kettlewell
Monday - Kettlewell -> Settle

I'm really wondering how acheivable this sort of schedule is for someone thats done very little cycling over the past year. Generally I'd consider myself fairly fit generally running around 30 miles a week on the fells and happy to run for 4-5 hours at a time.

My thinking is that at around 40 miles a day based on an 8 hour day that would mean an average speed of 5mph which should be fairly acheivable on a bike.

Does this seem reasonable? I've not really been up that way before and am not sure of how lumpy it is etc.

Comments

• PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    I haven't done that route (yet) I did the Pennine Cycleway last month that also goes through Settle. It's all pretty hilly round there, but take your time and you'll be fine. There's plenty of scenery for you to enjoy while you catch your breath.
    Pennine Cycleway
  • I've not done that route either, but have done similar ones and your level of fitness is way above mine and you seem to be sensible in your daily mileage, giving you lots of time for seeing other sights.
    Camping or B and B'ing, either way, it sounds a great introduction to touring and enjoy !!!
  • geocycle
    geocycle Posts: 202
    I've done it and really enjoyed it. There are some big hills but also some flatter sections. From Settle you go to Ingletn then ride up Kingsdale before the decent into Dent. The climb out of Dent is quite steep but then you are downhill to hawes. I actually stayed at the Green Lion in Askrigg (a pub with its own waterfall). From Hawes there is a climb into Swaledale then back again into Wensleydale befor a long ride up coverdale. You then go down the very steep 'Park rash' into kettlewell. It's then a nice run back via Grassington to Settle. You've given yourself ample time. I usually allow 10mph when touring (on roads) for planning purposes and I'm not super fit. You may need to push up some hills but that's no disgrace. Your general fitness sounds fine but climbing hills on a loaded bike requires some different muscle groups.
  • vernonlevy
    vernonlevy Posts: 969
    If you are reasonably fit then it will be no problem. You have set yourself a generously low average speed. There are some lumps around Dent and Kettlewell. Someone has already mentioned Park Rash - be thenkful that you are going down it :wink:

I've done the complete circuit and comfortably finished within three days. I am 5' 11" with a BMI of 44 so you should find it a breeze. :D
  • jxohn
    jxohn Posts: 38
    If going down Park rash into kettlewell be very carefull of the near vertical hairpin halfway down. Near zero speed approaching it is advisable but diffuclt as its steep before you get to it. Its a great route and you will love it.
  • geocycle
    jxohn wrote:
    If going down Park rash into kettlewell be very carefull of the near vertical hairpin halfway down. Near zero speed approaching it is advisable but diffuclt as its steep before you get to it. Its a great route and you will love it.
    Seconded. It's infuriating that you slog up Coverdale only to have to hang on like a limpet on the way down and not get the satisfaction of a fast downhill. Last time I was there the road surface wasn't great which also doesn't help. It reminded me why I don't like downhill mountain biking!!!
  • jongooligan
    jongooligan Posts: 223
    geocycle wrote:
    I actually stayed at the Green Lion in Askrigg (a pub with its own waterfall).

Reckon that would be the Green Dragon in Hardraw where you have to pay to get to Hardraw Force.

I'd go with what the others are saying; If you can run for 4 - 5hrs on the fells this tour is easily wthin your range.
  • geocycle
    jongooligan -you're right! Mental aberation and sorry for the confusion.