goin clipless

specialized989
specialized989 Posts: 145
edited April 2009 in MTB beginners
is it worth me going clipless? i dont like the idea of once in, always in, but loads of people i see riding them look comfortable. if they make a massive difference, please tell me and reccomend some cheap(ish) pedals.
Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS

Comments

• ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    you dont have to ride in them because you see others doing so.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    People say they're more efficient and better for trail use, but I just think they're an excuse for poor technique. And I have no problem flying past SPuDs on my v12s :D
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Definitely better for climbing, as for downhills not so sure!

@ Airienteer, maybe those people with SPD's were just slow no matter the pedal? :)
  • I've just gone clipless* after some umming and ahhing and can thoroughly recommend it. For me (after a month or so) I find that I'm much more stable offroad - especially bumpy downhill - with my feet anchored than when I'm out. My LBS reckoned on clips being 1pmh quicker than without and, although I'm not sure of those figures, it does FEEL quicker!

The downsides? Well, it's a bit weird at first. I've only toppled the once after not making it up a big hill and forgetting I was clipped in (mucho embarrassment, but entertaining for everyone else!). Also, for narrow bits (bridges, etc) I like to unclip but that's because I have only done bridges once and wanted to be able to chuck the bike if I fell off!

I say, do it, you won't look back - I didn't.

* why is it called clipless when you clip in? Never figured that out...
  • Bankster
    Bankster Posts: 2
    I started using clipless pedals about 10 weeks ago. I'm getting more used to them every ride. I've had 3 falls, one on tarmac and two offroad - both at slow speed thankfully. I agree that the notion of not having your feet free to dab when hitting trouble is a downside of them. Some people might say I need to be a better rider and not need to dab. I'm average, in terms of distance, fitness and skill. Most of my riding is country lanes and bridle paths and fire roads, not techy downhills.

I like the pedals more than I dislike them. I used to use toe clips but my big feet kept catching on the frame at the back that I found really annoying. Clipless sorted that problem for me cos my feet are further forward. I don't find plain flats too good for riding any distance.

I use Time Atac XS's, I got these because of what I'd read about the knee friendly float. They seem good, a bit difficult to get out of sometimes, but generally good.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    been clipless for about 6 months now and really really like them. I notice the dofference on the climbs but TBH they feel no different from a flat on the way down again.

Once you are used to them they are very easy to get in and out of, actually becomes second nature.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • ratty2k
    ratty2k Posts: 3,872
    Same old story, you get some that like 'em- almost to being evangelical about it... And some that dont like 'em, and those that hate them...
    I'm somewhere in the middle, will ride trail centres clipped, (speaking for the N. Wales ones I've ridden) there is nothing too technical to ride. When I get up in the Peak district, because some of the climbs are very techy, and so are a good number of descents I ride flat- so I end up with flatties everywhere.
    On my road bikes tho' I like being clipped in, the extra power of an upstroke is beneficial, and I can be unclipped ready to stop for lights, junctions etc no problem.
    My Pics !

Whadda ya mean I dont believe in god?
    I talk to him everyday....
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    I ride clipless on the Duster, but use flats on the meta and that suuites the different uses of the bikes..its all personal choice.
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    I like them, I had a couple of months riding only on flats recently to keep myself able to use both. I really missed the power and acceleration you can get from SPDs, the only downside seems to be people are scared of falling off?
    People say they're more efficient and better for trail use, but I just think they're an excuse for poor technique. And I have no problem flying past SPuDs on my v12s

I can't see how using SPDs shows bad technique in any way, people don't use SPDs to aid bunny hopping, it's a pedalling mechanism. If anything mashing on flats up hills promotes bad technique, you can keep a smooth, strong force pushing you forward with SPDs. You opvertake people with SPDs on and you put this solely down to their pedal choice? :? Madness.

I do still keep the flats, purely for the confidence though, if I'm riding somewhere well outside my comfort zone I prefer them. Riding somewhere I'm confident I love them though, there's just as much adrenaline fueled throwing myself off things as I'd attempt with flats. :?
  • I went clipless a while ago.

I can't say they make me faster or better on climbs because I've got fitter by using my bike more.

I do prefer to be clipped in. it feels like it's one less thing to worry about on climbs and fast descents. And the above people who say it becomes second nature to unclip are spot on. I've yet to topple over at lights/gates etc having forgot..

That's just my opinion though, there are plenty others!

All I will say, you'll never know unless you try
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I can't tell you how much they help on climbs and really rough downhills (because you're feet don't bounce off the pedals).

The only time I don' t like them is on really tricky terrain where you need to slow down and stop (or, think you will), frequently.

I'm only just learning to ride with one foot clipped in as the unclipped foot feels really slippery.

Really recommended.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    * why is it called clipless when you clip in? Never figured that out...

Pre SPDs and the like, the alternative means of fixing feet to pedals were toeclips (aka rat-traps). If you don't know what I mean, they were like a little cage on the fornt of a pedal with a strap that you pulled tight to fasten them round your foot. You could use with regular footwear or combine with shoes that had cleats to stop you pulling your foot out backwards (those cleats were just a plate with a slot that the back of the pedal fitted into.

Fixing your feet to the pedals by other means therefore became known as clipless.
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • Hey guys

So yeah, got my StumpJumper comp the other day, been on a few rides then decided, oh well let me try ride with cleats - so fitted them to my shoes and went for a ride over the weekend. Dammmm I nearly killed myself!

I can 'cleat-in' but getting out of them is sometimes difficult ... so how loose is it supposed to be?

Part of the problem I had is forgetting that i am cleated, coming to a dead stop and just 'plonking' over and having some blank stares @ me ... except one couple who came to my rescue ... saying Laughing Laughing Laughing it's ok mate ... it happens when u start riding with cleats.

So in all honesty, i did notice a good thing, when riding the long flats where the motion is constant, it's all good, but for some of the little more technical and challanging bits is where i would fall over (like single track, xc) ...

So ... do you guys ride with cleats all the time, or does it depend where you are riding and what sort of terrain you'll encounter?
    -- Specialized StumpJumper FSR Comp (09) [for me] --
    -- Specialized Safire FSR Comp (09) [for the Mrs] --
  • Zeroman_IR
    Zeroman_IR Posts: 290
    Had the same experience myself, got SPDs when I got my bike last year but did my wrist shortly afterwards so never really got used to them. Had plenty of those slow motion falls while you convulse on the bike trying to clip out though :lol:

Only started cycling again recently and got a pair of V-12s as I was worried about my wrist still being weak. However I've progressed to the stage wjere I'm reasonably confident on the bike now so I'm going to go for a compromise; the Crank Brothers Mallets with 661 Filter SPD shoes. The platform with pins should allow me to clip out for technical downhills and stay clipped in for the benefit on the climbs. Seems ideal to me, hope it works in practice. It'll be a couple weeks yet until I get them because I've college exams coming up soon and don't need any extra distractions :D
  • CrazySmudge
    CrazySmudge Posts: 137
    I have used flats and spds - been using flats for a while now for new places (never sure whats is coming next) and like a chap already said places out of my comfort zone!but this weekend went back to my spds at swinley and was alot faster and felt more confident coming downhill. Fell over three times - someone put a root in the way, the downhill bit (babymaker) but it all adds to the excitement doesnt it? oh and going up a hill though made it up "the wall" crazy!! anyway my point is for me spd are great on trails where you have already been and know whats coming next but flats are confidence aspiring on tricky ascents and technical descents thought your feet may bounce around.
    I use Shimano SPDs XT as you can adjust the spring making it easier to clip out or tighten on longer routes - my flats are DMR V8 Pedals 9/16 Inch Pedals. Have tried Cranks but couldnt adjust the spring.
  • xcracer
    xcracer Posts: 298
    Why do people think that using 'clipless' pedals is like wearing manacles? It really annoys me.

I can honestly say that I have never had afall due to SPDs.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I had the classic 'coming to a halt and falling over while still attached to the bike' experience twice when I was getting used to them last year but since then, and as previous posters have said, it becomes second nature. Being attached to the bike has made me pay more attention to what is up ahead and I unclip one foot just in case it it looks like I might have to dab. My riding mates have just gone onto SPD's in the last couple of weeks and both of them fall off at least once every time we go out, usually when coming to a stop on flat ground and in a hilarious comedy style.

If I were to go somewhere that I didn't know the trails, or on the skills course me and my mates are looking at doing, I would go back to my V12's but that's just a confidence thing.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Personaly I feel to inexprienced ( well dizzy and generaly hpeless :roll: ) to go clipless yet, so am learning with V8s and five ten boots, damn my old skool bmx origins 8)
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    I can't tell you how much they help on climbs and really rough downhills (because you're feet don't bounce off the pedals).

The only time I don' t like them is on really tricky terrain where you need to slow down and stop (or, think you will), frequently.

I'm only just learning to ride with one foot clipped in as the unclipped foot feels really slippery.

Really recommended.

what do you mean you ride with only one foot clipped in - whats the other one doing ?

... I made the mistake of trying to use clipless for the 1st time on holiday in Exmoor - fell over - well fell to the side twice on rocks and once into bramble - now ginding it hard to get back into them due to lack of confidence - i guess i need to keep using them on terrain I know well....