1USD per Kilometer!

term1te
term1te Posts: 1,462
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
I don't want to start the helmet argument again, but the point that struck me about this article is the claim that cycling has a health benefit of 1USD per km. As this benefit, in part, is gained by the state and therefore society in general, should we be paid to cycle? Say 50p per mile? The NHS would be better off, less pollution and congestion, I could afford a nice new bike a couple of times a year - helping the economy, everyone's a winner. I knew A level economics would come in useful one day
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17032-bicycle-helmet-laws-could-do-more-harm-than-good.html

Comments

• Tax law allows a tax-free payment of 20p per mile from your employer for business use.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    With a bonus if you wear a helmet?
  • Don't start... :wink:
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    Tax law allows a tax-free payment of 20p per mile from your employer for business use.

I recently put in my first claim for bike milage for work - we get the same rate as essential car milage 40p pm - it was only 3 miles though... (i'll die rich)
  • Ash_
    Ash_ Posts: 385
    Term1te wrote:
    As this benefit, in part, is gained by the state and therefore society in general, should we be paid to cycle? I could afford a nice new bike a couple of times a year - helping the economy, everyone's a winner.

Is this not, in a roundabout way, what you get with the Cycle to Work scheme? It means you can afford a new bike cheaper, with the subsidy coming initially from your employer and, indirectly, the government.

Course, not everyone qualifies, and it's not the same as having actual cash for cycling, but still, it is something at least.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Ash_ wrote:
    Term1te wrote:
    As this benefit, in part, is gained by the state and therefore society in general, should we be paid to cycle? I could afford a nice new bike a couple of times a year - helping the economy, everyone's a winner.

Is this not, in a roundabout way, what you get with the Cycle to Work scheme? It means you can afford a new bike cheaper, with the subsidy coming initially from your employer and, indirectly, the government.

Course, not everyone qualifies, and it's not the same as having actual cash for cycling, but still, it is something at least.

Right enough, C2W is all but money for nothing, I wouldn't dream of paying £1K for a bike but I'm itching to get my hands on the £35 a month bike I fancy... I'm currently holding my boss at gunpoint in an attempt to get it signed, sealed and delivered (and checked over by someone competent, it's a Boardman) in time for the big one (Etape C, 2 1/2 weeks).