Garmin 705 laps

gibbon365
gibbon365 Posts: 151
I've been playing around with a garmin 705 for a few weeks now but still can'twork out the lap function. i press lap at the start and end of a climb so i can mark my progress but on the next ride it doesn't automatically recognize the lap/ hill start. I think I have it set on the right lap function in the menu (auto lap trigger; by posistion and lap at; lap only)

Was thinking maybe i have to create a course from one of these rides and ride that course for the lap to auto rigger. Can any one shed some light on the subject?

Thanks, Paul

Comments

• jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    gibbon365 wrote:
    I've been playing around with a garmin 705 for a few weeks now but still can'twork out the lap function. i press lap at the start and end of a climb so i can mark my progress but on the next ride it doesn't automatically recognize the lap/ hill start. I think I have it set on the right lap function in the menu (auto lap trigger; by posistion and lap at; lap only)

Was thinking maybe i have to create a course from one of these rides and ride that course for the lap to auto rigger. Can any one shed some light on the subject?

I don't believe auto-lap works other than within the same ride, so if you're doing laps of a circuit, then you can go tell it to lap by Mark Position, and then every time you pass it again you'll get a lap triggered.

I don't think the Garmin does what it appears you want to do.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • fuzzynavel
    fuzzynavel Posts: 718
    I don't think you actually want laps. I would regard a lap as a constant circle starting and finishing at the same location. I.e you push the lap button once when you cross the start/finish to start the next lap....that is what I do anyway.

You could try setting the climb up as a course in its own right and tell the garmin that you want to do that course. It should record when you cross the start and when you hit the end but I am not sure what will happen when you go back to the start. You may need to tell it that you are starting the course again...but not sure.
    17 Stone down to 12.5 now raring to get back on the bike!
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Jibberjim is right - you can only "mark" the start of the lap within the same ride - just push the lap button at your chosen lap point the first time you ride past it, and then Autolap will trigger a new lap next time you pass the spot.

The other way you could do it is to record just the hill section of your ride (pressing the start and stop button at top and bottom of hill), save this info as a Course, and then ride the Course from the Training menu on your next ride. Each time you beat your course record, save that as your new course and try and improve on it next time.
  • scannings
    scannings Posts: 82
    You could always use the compare option on your PC when hou're back home. Just compare two rides that both "contain" your hill and look at the hill section on the graphs and maps - it'll give you far more info than just a time split.
    At the end of the day......................................it gets dark.