jellybellywmb Posts: 1,379
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
Simple one, Red Tyres or Not??

(On Black and Red Giant SCR)
"BEER" Proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Black tyres with a bit of red would look good. Tyres with large amounts of other colours look a bit silly
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • You need to think about your kit colour too. Are you wearing black/red kit? Maybe you could dye your hair black/red too.... :wink:
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • Whatever you do, make sure you are coordinated on each and every ride!

reddragon - do you wear royal blue whilst out on your Ribble (which I have just drooled over for the past few minutes :D )
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    I have the red Continental GP4000s on my bike, and I think they look pretty good.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I have the red Continental GP4000s on my bike, and I think they look pretty good.

How long do they stay red? I have nothing against colored tires but they seem to fade pretty quickly. Had a set on the bike with red sidewalls, flatted the rear(tubular), replaced
    it with exactly the same tire and was amazed at the color difference(fading) that the front tire displayed. Didn't really care but it was strange. Think it was starting to turn pink.

Dennis Noward
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Black ones last longer - it's the carbon in the rubber that makes it stronger. Red sidewalls and black tread would be a good compromise 8)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I use conti GP 4000s in red.

SlushFund.jpg

Going to change to Vittoria Open Paves though. In red.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    reddragon - do you wear royal blue whilst out on your Ribble (which I have just drooled over for the past few minutes :D )

I would do if I could afford club kit :(
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    How long do they stay red?

They don't remain as bright red as they are when brand new, but they stay a pretty decent red, as shown in NapoleonD's picture.

I have never had them turn pink, although that would match some of my Giro d'Italia jerseys! :D
  • Anonymous
    My GP4000s went abit dull in the end, I think there is too much red on, try the Krylions, they are better than GP4000's and have red stripes on that stay red for longer :wink:

My Open Pro's went dull already too, allthough they do look pretty cool.

Just dont go near glass with them you'll have no tyre left :lol:
  • I would do if I could afford club kit :(

I could knit you something fetching :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Anonymous
    Vittoria Open Corsa CX do look pretty damn fine -

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=VITTTYRF260
  • Lagavulin
    Lagavulin Posts: 1,688
    As previously pointed out, Conti does the whole coloured tyre thing the wrong way around. Even with their latest "special edition" white GP4000 the whole tread is white and the sidewalls are black. Silly sods.

If you want coloured tyres, Michelin, Vittoria and Vredestein seem the better option with generally a black or grey rolling centre and coloured shoulders and/or sidewalls.

I've a few pairs of Fortezza Tricomps which are still bright red and one sets done a couple of winters.
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Lagavulin wrote:
    I've a few pairs of Fortezza Tricomps which are still bright red and one sets done a couple of winters.

I've also used a few sets of red Vredesteins in the past, and the colour always seems pretty durable.
    Currently have a pair of yellow (to match the frame) Veloflex Paves - lovely tyres these, but not cheap (got mine in a sale :)). Colour seems to be holding its won so far.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • White Line
    White Line Posts: 887
    Yes!

You need a helmet and full kit to match though. :lol: