New Shoes, Upgrade?

Homer J
Homer J Posts: 920
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I need to get a new pair of shoes and i'm thinking, instead of spending my usual £40-£50 maybe go for somehing around £70-£80? Giving the discount maybe the rrp of about £100. Anywho, has anyone upgraded their shoes and found that it has been to a benifit?
I'll be using these for training and racing.

Comments

• robbh
    robbh Posts: 23
    Mavic avenir won the C+ review this month, rrp £89. Look nice, saw them in a shop this morning
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    I use Spesh and I find the ratchet models superior to the 3 velcros models, so I'm happy to spend a bit more. Also the carbon soles are lighter, and you obviously payfor that.

My last roadie shoes were £80 reduced - Spesh BG pros, and very good too. I'd struggle to get £100+ past the (beautiful) financial controller at my house tbh.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • shmo
    shmo Posts: 321
    I made a big mistake changing manufacturer when doing a shoe upgrade. Had been using some old basic Time shoes that looked like a dog had coughed them up so went for some expensive Shimano shoes with a ratchet. Fitted nicely in the shop but after 2+ hours in the saddle they hurt my big toes.

Back using the stinky old Time's until I can afford a new pair in their range. Funnily enough I bought the Time shoes by mail order without even trying them on but spent ages in a shop before trying on pairs before I decided on the Shimano.