M1llh0use Posts: 863
which ones do you use?

and which ones really work?

and where do you get them from?
{insert smartarse comment here}

Comments

• M1llh0use
    have read that previously but was after opinions of post ride recovery drinks rather than mid-ride hydration stuff.

or have i missed the point?
  • Nik_B
    Nik_B Posts: 270
    check this out

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _n6006157/

doesn't cover drinks but explains the muscle's requirements post work out.
  • hmm sort of.
    If your looking to replace fluid after a ride its still best to stick to an isotonic drink.
    If its fuel your replacing you'll want a higher carb concentration so a hypertonic drink would be best.

Unless i've missed the point and you're actually taking about protein shakes etc etc? :lol:
  • M1llh0use
    yes - protein shakes and stuff of that ilk was what i've been leaning toward.

like this

or

this

opinions?
  • Nik_B
    the first one looks like something for weight lifters.

2nd one looks better but I'd be curious at what level of riding it would be better to use this stuff over normal food.
  • M1llh0use
    well just wondering because i' msitting here aching like a ******d after my first proper outing on a singlespeed (20 miles). ate like a horse as soon as i got back (and for the rest of the day, truth be told) and i've only ever aches like this when i've not eaten enough post ride.

now i know that i'll be aching because different muscle groups used (and i really can feel it) but wondered if a drink like the zipfit one would help any more than just eating more!!

:lol:
  • Nik_B
    I got massive headaches after a ride (because I wasn't eatting) even though I was hydrating properly. I started having a meal soon as I got in it would go away.

Also someone posted that bananas help with the aching. Take a look at the linkl I posted it tells you what your muscles need to repair. Lots of carbs and protein which is what is in those drinks.
  • M1llh0use
    Nik_B wrote:
    Also someone posted that bananas help with the aching

balls.

i really hate bananas :cry:
  • M1llh0use wrote:
    well just wondering because i' msitting here aching like a ******d after my first proper outing on a singlespeed (20 miles). ate like a horse as soon as i got back (and for the rest of the day, truth be told) and i've only ever aches like this when i've not eaten enough post ride.

now i know that i'll be aching because different muscle groups used (and i really can feel it) but wondered if a drink like the zipfit one would help any more than just eating more!!

:lol:
    The aching is called the delayed onset of muscle soreness. You get it from high intensity work outs due to forced eccentric muscle contractions (you'll experience a lot of this with SS).

A good protein shake will help your muscle rebuild itself quicker and DOMS won't last as long.
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Good old fashioned....

chocolate milk

apparently. Just the right mix of carbs and protein:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/ ... 2839.shtml

I think it's based on the findings from Loughborough Uni that milk is better at rehydrating than water.

All I would say is avoid the brands of chocolate milk that contain high fructose corn syrup.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Yep i've herd that too :)

Also, MCD's milkshake is stacked full of carbs if you need a quick fix :)
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    I use Maxim vanilla protein + carb drink. Made with milk it's a really tasty milkshake. Tonight I put a couple of bananas in too, but I guess any soft fruit would do. Blitz it in the mixer so there's no powdery bits left and bob's yer uncle, lovely, and it does seem to help with recovery too!

Alternatively wake yourself up every 4 hours and down a dozen raw egg yolks, unstirred.
  • Ditch Witch
    I also use For Goodness Shakes. Sainsbury's have just started doing them again.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • arnie-77
    arnie-77 Posts: 61
    Have you seen this http://www.mybikefood.com

Its an 'all in one' for use before =, during and after - an energy drink with protein (glutamine and branched chain amino acids) for recovery and muscle support.

I started using it the other month after getting hold of a free sachet. They then sent me an email offering to exchange my old waterbottle for their new ones (check out the bottle exchange page http://www.mybikefood.com/exchange/ ), so I did that and also got some extra free sachets that they sent me alongwith the botttles!

Saves me having to buy quality energy drinks and recovery shakes, I was previously using Rego Rapide as a recovery shake but it works out pricey if you are doing drinks as well plus its got lots of artificial stuff in it, something Bikefood claims it has not...

Good for washing down a post ride banana or cake too.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • Sarnian
    Sarnian Posts: 1,451
    arnie-77 wrote:
    Have you seen this http://www.mybikefood.com

Its an 'all in one' for use before =, during and after - an energy drink with protein (glutamine and branched chain amino acids) for recovery and muscle support.

I started using it the other month after getting hold of a free sachet. They then sent me an email offering to exchange my old waterbottle for their new ones (check out the bottle exchange page http://www.mybikefood.com/exchange/ ), so I did that and also got some extra free sachets that they sent me alongwith the botttles!

Saves me having to buy quality energy drinks and recovery shakes, I was previously using Rego Rapide as a recovery shake but it works out pricey if you are doing drinks as well plus its got lots of artificial stuff in it, something Bikefood claims it has not...

Good for washing down a post ride banana or cake too.

Do you know If It has protein In It.
    It's not a ornament, so ride It
  • Aye thats stupid. how do they expect to sell anything without an ingredients list!
  • Sarnian
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    Aye thats stupid. how do they expect to sell anything without an ingredients list!

This Is what I was thinking, I like to know the % of ingredients In the drink.
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    try the mars bar drink, bloomin tasty and supposedly a good recovery drink, i think i like them a bit too much though! they even have `refuel` on the label now as well.
    who cares?
  • arnie-77
    Yep, Bikefood has protein in it.

Mars recovery drink? mmmnn tasty for sure, any good for serious recovery? surely not...
    Well no more than a 'Mars a day' helps you work, rest & play.
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • it'll be stacked full of sugar (carbs). Not great as it'll be stacked full of fat - but better than a glass of water a s'pose if your wanting a quicker recovery.
  • arnie-77
    my personal view is if you are taking time out to do a serious training ride, you might as well use proper nutrition products - otherwise you are undoing a lot of your precious hard work on the bike...
  • Sarnian
    The past few years I have been using this www.infinitnutrition I discovered them when I was doing Weymouth half Ironman, they had a stand there, I had a chat with them and they worked something out that suited me.
    I don't race anymore but I do still use there recovery drink, well a my own blend of It, I only use It when I have run or cycled for more then a hour.
  • i have read a few articles and seems the best "after sport" drink is Gatorade

well known in America for being healthy drink with no added crap.

i used to have poweraid but found it was full of bad flavorings ect fo switched to Gatorade.

i believe this the best recovery drink you can get. without taking cocktails of things
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Ditch Witch
    arnie-77 wrote:
    Yep, Bikefood has protein in it.

Mars recovery drink? mmmnn tasty for sure, any good for serious recovery? surely not...
    Well no more than a 'Mars a day' helps you work, rest & play.

Don't know, some pretty serious scientific studies done on the subject:

http://cme.medscape.com/viewarticle/524370
    Feb. 27, 2006 — Chocolate milk is an effective postexercise drink that improves recovery, according to the results of a small, randomized trial reported in the February issue of the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism.

"Our study indicates that chocolate milk is a strong alternative to other commercial sports drinks in helping athletes recover from strenuous, energy-depleting exercise," coauthor Joel M. Stager, PhD, from Indiana University in Bloomington, said in a news release. "Chocolate milk contains an optimal carbohydrate to protein ratio, which is critical for helping refuel tired muscles after strenuous exercise and can enable athletes to exercise at a high intensity during subsequent workouts."

On 3 separate days, 9 male, endurance-trained cyclists performed an interval workout followed by 4 hours of recovery, and a subsequent endurance trial to exhaustion at 70% maximum oxygen consumption (VO 2max). In a single-blind, randomized design, the men drank equivalent volumes of chocolate milk, fluid replacement drink (FR), or carbohydrate replacement drink (CR) immediately after the first exercise bout and 2 hours of recovery. The chocolate milk and CR had equivalent carbohydrate content. Primary endpoints were time to exhaustion, average heart rate, rating of perceived exertion, and total work for the endurance exercise.

Time to exhaustion and total work were significantly greater for chocolate milk and for FR trials than for CR trials, suggesting that chocolate milk is an effective recovery aid between 2 exhausting exercise bouts.

Study limitations include the possibility that the 4-hour recovery period limited the complete digestion of the complex carbohydrates contained in CR.

"The results of this study suggest that chocolate milk, with its high carbohydrate and protein content, may be considered an effective alternative to commercial FR and CR for recovery from exhausting, glycogen-depleting exercise," the authors write.

The Dairy and Nutrition Council, Inc, supported this study in part.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006;16:78-91
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • arnie-77
    that reads like pretty general stuff, so many variables and a good example of the science/research side of things, which reads as being pretty flakey to me (Not least due to the sponsors).

These studies seem to serve a purpose that is only to generate claims that sound equally general - l things like 'helps you to go 40% further'.

I'm a fan of choccy milkshakes as much as the next guy (quite partial to a Frijj now and again) - but it sure ain't proper recovery sports nutrition, and neither are any of the products you find in the corner shop such as Taut, Lucozade, Powerade - its all fizzy pop parading as performance nutrition.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What constitutes a 'proper' recovery drink though? Seem a lot on the market, different formulae - some don't even give a formula!

As for hydration beverages, they really are simple.
  • any of you who are runners or in to fitness might of read the report about milk shakes.

it been proven that having a chocolate milkshake can reduce muscle fatigue after exercise and help recovery F.A.C.T.

but the following is important:

: mars drink ISNT good, it contains way to many sweeteners and bad ingredients to be effective

they listed a simple chocolate powder like simple milk chocolate with some cold milk ie home made stuff nothing you get from shops will do perfectly fine.

i personally have a lovely cold chocolate before bed and is nice and seems to work very well.

buying milkshakes is never good thing as most of them put to much crap into them to make them stay on the shelf's for longer and thus affect way the milk shake can help.

keep it simple, homemade.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • Ditch Witch
    Fair point, well made.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Chop up a big banana put in a jug with a pint of ice cold milk add a tablespoonful of 100 % Green and Blacks cocoa powder blitz with a blender till smooth pour into pint glass through a sieve to get the bits out and drink

AAAAAAHHHHHH I enjoyed that it makes up for the 20 miles I have just done in the rain
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap