RPCC Ride - May Bank Hol Weekend

Rich-Ti
Rich-Ti Posts: 1,831
I can't believe it's nearly May again, and I really hope this weather picks up by the weekend - it's grim out there right now! :(

I'm going to sit back and see what happens this weekend - we've got 3 days to play with and I hope to ride on at least 2 of them. Not fussed about doing anything epic or fast this coming weekend as I'm off to the Lakes for the Fred next weekend which will be quite tough enough! I'm also toying with the idea of riding south to my folks on Sun then riding back again on Mon, but as I say I'll see what materialises here first...

So, usual meet & ride plan:
    :arrow: 9am is most likely on whichever day is favoured (or both days, if you're feeling up to it!) :arrow: Richmond Gate in Richmond Park, south side (on the left as you come up Sawyer's Hill / on the right if you come through Richmond Gate), by the little white building :arrow: 80-120k @ 24-28kph / 50-75 miles @ 15-18mph
usually, but nobody gets dropped
:arrow: Boxhill is almost definite (as is a short tea / cake / toilet / bottle refill stop at the top - usually around 15-20mins)
As ever I'd like to emphasise that new faces are more than welcome and actively encouraged, and that applies to lurkers / long-time 'thread watchers' / any who haven't been able to make it along previously / those who don't want to commit on here but might feel like turning up on the day - please do join us if you want to! We seem to have seen a new face almost every week so it'd be good if that continued! :D

A 'collection point' at 9:30am (usually) at Hampton Court will most likely be on the cards as that tends to be our route out. Please let us know if you plan to take this option - it's usually just a fly-by quick hello and on the move again so if you plan to use this option please be on time... That said there can sometimes be delays getting moving at Richmond Park so there is the potential for folk to be running a little late coming through (and apologies in advance if that turns out to be the case)! :roll: :lol:

So, who is about and when? :shock: 8) :D

Comments

• Rich-Ti
    Hmmm, just seen mention from Art Vandelay of C2C on last week's thread - did you mean capital to coast Al, or the full capital-coast-capital?? :shock:

Tempting I have to say, even if it is a bit close to the Fred... :?
  • felgen
    felgen Posts: 829
    Surely you have all week to taper Rich, in fact I would have thought it was a good idea to get a proper ride in...

I am out of the ride and indeed out of the country next weekend - I will be dodging Kangaroos on my new wheels :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    2)Nelson Pista Singlespeed
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Rich-Ti
    felgen wrote:
    I am out of the ride and indeed out of the country next weekend - I will be dodging Kangaroos on my new wheels :twisted:
    Still need that bike box? Yours if you want it buddy, just let me know 8)
  • felgen
    Yes do need it actually.... will be in touch during the week! 8)
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • Art Vandelay
    Art Vandelay Posts: 1,982
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    Hmmm, just seen mention from Art Vandelay of C2C on last week's thread - did you mean capital to coast Al, or the full capital-coast-capital?? :shock:

Tempting I have to say, even if it is a bit close to the Fred... :?
    I'm up for the biggie :twisted: Perfect limb loosener for the Fred Rich :D
    How many Ks have I just committed myself to :? :shock:
    Felgen - when you say 'new wheels' - I take it you mean just new wheels? What have you gone for?
  • Rich-Ti
    I'm up for the biggie :twisted: Perfect limb loosener for the Fred Rich :D
    How many Ks have I just committed myself to :? :shock:
    It was 204k / 127.5 miles for me, and I'm 5 mins from our RP meet point :wink:
  • Art Vandelay
    Sounds spookily close to the Fray Bentos distance 8) , just without the Pyrenees :D
  • felgen
    Sounds spookily close to the Fray Bentos distance 8) , just without the Pyrenees :D
    Well then, just right distance-wise.
    ]Felgen - when you say 'new wheels' - I take it you mean just new wheels? What have you gone for?
    I havent gone for new wheels, have gone for second hand wheels :? (actually 2 pairs of wheels) - alas the Airlines are no longer in my posession however they went to a good cause. Now at least I have a second training set which I won't be worrying about all the time, and can save the good ones for, um good stuff like a 3 lap challenge :twisted:
    Steeds:
    1)Planet X SL Pro carbon
    3)Giant Cadex MTB
    4)BeOne Karma MTB
  • hi all - not 100% sure what my plans are for the weekend, all I know is that it feels like its miles away :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Are you scared yet Rich? ;)
    Nah - only parts of the route I've not ridden are Coniston to Keswick and Wrynose Pass to Coniston, and there was nothing in the rest of it that scared me or beat me so bring it on! :twisted:
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Did you get up HK ok on the Lakeland Loop?
    Oh yes, cleaned it beautifully :wink: 8)
  • Rich-Ti
    phips wrote:
    Except - did you have 100 miles in your legs already? ;)
    No, but a good 65, and 2 days of passes from the 2 previous days :wink:
  • The emu
    The emu Posts: 347

Yeah I'm keen on a CCC if others are - it's gonna hurt as I was a bit sore after this weekend but just getting there wouldn't be far enough preperation for what is in store for us Fray Bentosidos.

Gez when are you gonna stop yapping about 10 mile sprints and step up to some distance riding with your fellow journeymen or are you planning on getting swept up on the Somport and drink all our san migs before we get there :P

The long grazed legged one
  • Rich-Ti
    The emu wrote:
    Gez when are you gonna stop yapping about 10 mile sprints and step up to some distance riding with your fellow journeymen or are you planning on getting swept up on the Somport and drink all our san migs before we get there :P
    He's bailed on it completely now :roll: :lol:
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    urrrrrrrrrs Posts: 478
    unfortunately Rich-ti is right,i am having to forego the QBH this year,because work has been bad (i count my blessings i cant be made redundant) and i cant be seen to go away,when i have been helped financially , i've also lost 3/4's of the money for the trip (£600) as its non-refundable,also lost money on my Easyjet flight ,coupled with the fact that i've been working 12-14 hours a day incl weekends training has been non-existent,its been sh*t 6 months which included almost 8 weeks without my taxi and having to work considerably less hours,even had 10 days off with no work vehicle ,hopefully once this years out of the way,,next year looks rosier

so i have had to think of what to do instead? and its cheap,cheerful ,you kill yourself for 30 odd minutes ,its time trialling ,and thats what i'm going to do thius summer,with one or two long rides including a weekend away to Blackpool for the Rapha Sportive/Nocturne weekend of 31st Jul(my birthday :wink: )-2nd August

so i have now go to decide...do i shave my legs and do i try and get into that skinsuit ? :P

8th March 2010,Spain ,Here I come !!!!!!
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187
    I can't even shave my legs because my dad will think I'm a big poof :lol: Just do it Gezza, I'm not sure I want to see you in a skinsuit but the leg hair might save you a few milliseconds (and about 4 grams of weight). It's gotta be worth it!!!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    chrisw28 wrote:
    I can't even shave my legs because my dad will think I'm a big poof :lol: Just do it Gezza, I'm not sure I want to see you in a skinsuit but the leg hair might save you a few milliseconds (and about 4 grams of weight). It's gotta be worth it!!!

you coming down wednesday Chris ?

• Rich-Ti
    chrisw28 wrote:
    If you're not a pro there's only ONE reason anyone shaves their legs: Tradition. :roll:
  • chrisw28
    chrisw28 Posts: 187

you coming down wednesday Chris ?

No. :oops: I've stopped cycling for the next few weeks to get some work done instead of messing around.

As much as I would love being chased down by cars on the A24 at dusk, I'm gonna give it a miss. Not so bothered about getting my arse royally handed to me by others, but I'm pretty sure I'd disappoint myself :x

Good luck though, have fun. :)
    Rich-Ti wrote:
    If you're not a pro there's only ONE reason anyone shaves their legs: Tradition. :roll:

That or you just LUUUUURVE the feel of it :shock:
  • Art Vandelay
    chrisw28 wrote:
    No. :oops: I've stopped cycling for the next few weeks to get some work done instead of messing around.
    Healthy body, healthy mind Chris...
    http://www.theiet.org/students/resources/revision/healthy-body-mind.cfm
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    unfortunately Rich-ti is right,i am having to forego the QBH this year,because work has been bad (i count my blessings i cant be made redundant) and i cant be seen to go away,when i have been helped financially , i've also lost 3/4's of the money for the trip (£600) as its non-refundable,also lost money on my Easyjet flight ,coupled with the fact that i've been working 12-14 hours a day incl weekends training has been non-existent,its been sh*t 6 months which included almost 8 weeks without my taxi and having to work considerably less hours,even had 10 days off with no work vehicle ,hopefully once this years out of the way,,next year looks rosier

so i have had to think of what to do instead? and its cheap,cheerful ,you kill yourself for 30 odd minutes ,its time trialling ,and thats what i'm going to do thius summer,with one or two long rides including a weekend away to Blackpool for the Rapha Sportive/Nocturne weekend of 31st Jul(my birthday :wink: )-2nd August

so i have now go to decide...do i shave my legs and do i try and get into that skinsuit ? :P

Wow lots of thoughts Gezza!!!! You could probably tout your QBH entry to someone given the demand we experienced when trying to get our places.

Are you still thinking of doing the Rapha Blackpool sojourn? I have been toying with that idea. Are you heading up that way yourself or have you got a few mates? I checked the sign up page a week ago and the take up has not been that great...
  • Berns12
    Berns12 Posts: 198
    chrisw28 wrote:
    Rich-Ti wrote:

That or you just LUUUUURVE the feel of it :shock:

And believe it or not the chicks dig it!!!
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    edited April 2009
    Berns12 wrote:
    You could probably tout your QBH entry to someone given the demand we experienced when trying to get our places.

Are you still thinking of doing the Rapha Blackpool sojourn? I have been toying with that idea. Are you heading up that way yourself or have you got a few mates? I checked the sign up page a week ago and the take up has not been that great...

i've thought about that option its a non-starter as you cant transfer names etc in the T&C's set out by the tour company i'm doing it through

but on a plus side,i'm transferring the destination(at a cost of £75) of my Easyjet flights to Paphos Cyprus for a week of icy cold Keo beers :P ,kebabs :P and Sun-bathing 8)

bring on 9th October !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

as for the sportive,no-one has made any decision(they are all in Majorca at the moment,cycling and getting pissed) i'm sure they are still going,and your more than welcome to come and share costs with me,

j

• Art Vandelay
    but on a plus side,i'm transferring the destination(at a cost of £75) of my Easyjet flights to Paphos Cyprus for a week of icy cold Keo beers :P ,kebabs :P and Sun-bathing 8)
    The Jan Ullrich school of winter training 8)
  • urrrrrrrrrs

yup,jut finished the course at school :wink:

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499

Is a Keo beer one you have to clip in to? I like the sound of that.
  • urrrrrrrrrs
    homercles wrote:

Is a Keo beer one you have to clip in to? .

Booooooo !!!