What bike do i need ?

Scoobie
Scoobie Posts: 12
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi guys,

I am looking at up grading my bike but there are so many differant types, cross county, all mountain, trail etc what do i need.
Twice a month i try and get to Wales other weekends are spent around Cannock Chase.

So what would you recommend ?

Comments

• nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    you say you want to upgrade - but what are you wanting to upgrade from?
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Do you:
    Race and or wear excessive amounts of lycra? Then you need an 80/100mm hardtail.

Do you enjoy just riding, nothing crazy [i.e jumps/drops] and don't want to spend the earth? Then you want a 100/120mm hardtail

Do you enjoy just riding, nothing crazy [i.e jumps/drops] and don't mind spending a bit more? Then you want a 100/120mm Full-suss.

Does your riding involve a bit of everything? Large drops, jumps, huge roots and rocks, but also the ability to pedal back up again? You need a 140/160 mm all mountain full-suss.

Do you hate pedaling? Downhill bike for you then.

This is just a rough guide, there's no need to get worked up about all the corporate labels.
    My advice would be to go down to your LBS, have a chat with the guys there and try as many bikes as you can. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • Scoobie
    Scoobie Posts: 12
    Thanks Torres, i do a bit of everthing i like the climbs as much as i do the desents and all the rest of it.
    I was looking at getting a Trek fuel ex 9.9 but dont know if would be suitable, plus im not sure about going the carbon route.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Scoobie i had exactly the same questions myself having returned to biking after a good 15 years of couch based lazing. I ended up going for a hardtail because for the money I had i'd rather a half decent hardtail than a heavy full susser. Sounds like you have a bigger budget mind! I think Torres has it right, especially as most bike shops will let you try over a weekend if your considering spending that sort of cash. Also Evans let you test bikes on the 'Ride it' events, which BTW are well organised and worth a look.

Enjoy testing :D
  • baba123
    baba123 Posts: 235
    how much money do you want too spend
    mongoose amasa elite 08
    giant anthem x4 10