Rear mech problem

Ellio
Ellio Posts: 100
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello not sure if this is the right place for this but I don't know where to put it tbh.

I have got a problem with my rear mech. I came off my bike a month or so ago arse over tits and smacked the rear mech into the ground. When i got up the bottom part had been push over into the wheels but I managed to pull it away and it was OK to ride. At first i wasn't that bothered about it as I was going to be getting a new bike through r2w. Problem is now, I lost my job a week ago and will no longer be getting the new bike so have to look into repairing mine.

At the moment on the back I have no 7th gear, 6th gear falls into 5th and 6th and jumps round a bit, 8th is very difficult to get into and jumps a lot if i try to go into 1st it pushes the mech into the wheel. I pretty much know nothing about how to fix a bike but can tell its just a tad fooked.

The bike is a giant yukon 2008 with shimano alivio rear mech. I have attached a couple of pics below of the mech.

P4260012.jpg

P4260020.jpg

P4260019.jpg

I'm pretty sure I need to replace it but do you replace the whole unit?

cost for replacement will have to be as low as poss but don't want anything worse than i have on there already. any ideas what to look out for? I start a new job Monday and hopefully it will go permanent and can do the r2w again but can't pin my hopes on that.

Also like i said before I don't have much of a clue about repairs and replacing bits so think it will have to go to the lbs any ideas how much they would charge for doing the work?

Any help would be much appreciated

Comments

• Ellio
    hmm just noticed I said it would go into 7th and its sitting in 7th in the pics lol
  • Graydawg
    Graydawg Posts: 673
    Double check your cables and make sure they've not been knocked or pulled out. If all ok then its most likely the mech thats bent.... it looks to me as though the arm is a bit bent.

Get the bike onto the big ring on the rear and get a photo from the back of the bike - the arm should hang plumb with the casette. If not then I would suggest taking it off the bike and seeing if you can "persuade" it straighter....

Hope this helps!
    It's been a while...
  • Ellio
    It wont go into top gear at the moment as the bottom of the arm is then pushed into the wheel
  • Graydawg
    Ellio wrote:
    It wont go into top gear at the moment as the bottom of the arm is then pushed into the wheel

Well use a different gear ;) you know what i mean.... ;)
    It's been a while...
  • helene
    helene Posts: 30
    doesn't look like the mech is bent at all, looks like the hanger (easily replacable part) is completely borked, it is designed to save your frame and mech in the event of a spill though, so it's done its job.

Your local giant dealer should be able to get you a new hanger, and the gears shouldn't need to be touched once it is replaced.

FYI the hange is the black piece of metal that bolts onto the rear of your frame and has the hole for the mech to screw into!!!!
  • neiltb
    neiltb Posts: 332
    looks to me like the hanger is just bent (black bit between frame and mech), contact where you bought the bike and replace that.
    FCN 12
  • Graydawg
    Yeah ok ... my mistake - never noticed the hanger... :oops: :oops:
    It's been a while...
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    Or just take it to a shop & they will have a screw in bar that allows them to bend the hanger straight, obviously it wont be as strong as it was but I bend them back all the time at work & they last fine.
  • Ellio
    ahhh thanks very much i will get a new hanger and see if that will do the trick if not then get the new mech.

any ideas how much a hangers would cost?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Ellio wrote:
    ahhh thanks very much i will get a new hanger and see if that will do the trick if not then get the new mech.

take it to your LBS and get them to straiten it. they will be able to order you a new one as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kazzie
    kazzie Posts: 23
    Ellio wrote:

hangers usually cost between £10-£20 dependin on where you get it from and what supplier. pop it into local halfords or LBS and they will be able to get you a replacement. :D Halfords also stock alivio rear mechs so check out the price, not sure off the top of my head.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks like the QR skewer maybe bent too.
  • Ellio
    had a look in halfords earlier and the alivio is £30 they also said that they do the £9.99 a year thing where you pay it and get a free service each year and free labour so would only need to pay for the parts. I know its a halfords but my local one seems to be pretty good
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I don't think you need a new mech. And if you did, 30 quid for alivio is a lot.

Fix the hanger first.
  • Ellio
    will have to have a look at the skewer but i have a spare one.

went on line and they have them on ebay for £16 new so will see what they say first
  • Ellio
    Well had a look at the bike again yesterday and the hanger was really squashed and bent out of shape. Managed to straighten it out and the bike seems to be running well now and all the gears are working. its not 100% and i think i will still need to get a new hanger but I'm pretty chuffed I managed to do it
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Use a giant adjustable spanner. Close the jaws in against the metal plates holding the jockey wheels and twist the spanner to realign the deraillleur. This can also straighten the mech hanger providing it isn't too bent. Trial and error, turning a bit at a time, will eventually line your jockey wheels up with your cassette sprockets. Alivio mechs are pliable and lend themselves to twisting and turning.

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/106861.html
  • Ellio
    yeah used mole grips in the end to twist it back into shape.
    Took it out for a ride last night and was pretty much spot on so saved my self a bit of money on that one.

thanks for your help everyone.