Front disc brake rub

ski-freak
ski-freak Posts: 121
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi dont know if this has already been answered yet or not but....

my front disc brake is rubbing on the rotor so the wheel doesnt freewheel. wheel you spin it off the ground it wont spin a whole rotation. im guessing the pads are rubbbing but dont know how to fix it. the brakes are shimano xt hydraulic if that makes any difference? any help would be greatly appreciated cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what have you done to cause this?

what have you tried to fix this?

make sure the wheel is correctly fitted and then re align the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ski-freak
    ski-freak Posts: 121
    i was constatntly taking the front wheel off to get the bike in the car. one day it was fine and the next was rubbing. i think it could have been when i pulled the brake lever without the disc being there, it seemed to get stuck and not fully receed back into its 'open' position.

all i have tried is to manually push the pads back into place but that doesnt work either.

i have tried adjusting the position of the wheel but it doesnt really make much of a difference. could it be that ive bashed the caliper out of position whilst transporting it?

cheers for the advice
  • DavidS84
    DavidS84 Posts: 2
    Sounds like you may accidentally squeezed the brake lever when the wheel was removed. The pistons are self adjusting, so when the pads wear, the space between the pad and the disc remains constant. Hence if you squeeze the lever when the wheel's removed, the pads can travel further than normal and the hydraulic circuit responds as though the pads have worn.

Try the maintenance procedure "adjustment when the pistons are not working correctly" on the following Shimano pdf

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 607840.pdf
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ski-freak wrote:
    i think it could have been when i pulled the brake lever without the disc being there,

so have a read of the set up info on parktools.

you will need to push the pads/pistons home and then reset the pistons and maybe re align the caliper.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown