L-B-L *spoiler*

andyp
andyp Posts: 10,069
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Now that is how you win a Classic if you're strong on the climbs but can't sprint!

Bravo Andy Schleck, one hell of a ride.

Comments

• andyp
    1. Andy Schleck
    2. Joaquin Rodrigues
    3. Davide Rebellin
    4. Pip Gilbert
    5. Sergei Ivanov
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Go Andy. Very pleased for this attacking rider. Looking forward to seeing him in the Tour. Probably the only one that can challenge Contador.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It was a good showing, really pleased for him. It's been a good classics year.

My leg saga got another mention on Eurosport too :D
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Great ride. He looked really strong. The chase wasn't so well organised, but never really narrowed the gap. Good sign for the tour. Would love to see him take on Astana.
    exercise.png
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Congrats Andy - great ride :D
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    The only decent video streaming feed was from Luxembourg - they were going ballistic!
    Chapeau to Dr Fuentes too :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I watched it all on Eurosport HD :)
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    does anyone know why half the field was DNF?
    cartoon.jpg
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Because it's one of the hardest races on the calendar. More vertical climbing meters than many an Alpine stage of the Tour or Giro. And once you're out the back, it's game over.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Great ending, but I thought that the chasing group could have done a bit better - through my not particularly wonderful feed, it seems that the only Saxo Bank rider in the group was Big Schleck, and even if he sits in the group without contributing, he's never gonna beat Sanchez or Valverde in a sprint. Or did I just get a very bad view of the whole thing?

Well done Little Schleck, a superb end to a very good spring classics season.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Kolobnev was also in the chase group and for a large part of the final chase he and big bro sat 2nd and 3rd wheel and whenever another rider pushed on they were immediately on to the back wheelg great disruptive teamwork. Great attacking ride by Andy though very similiar win to Cunego in last years Lombardy.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    Kléber wrote:
    Because it's one of the hardest races on the calendar. More vertical climbing meters than many an Alpine stage of the Tour or Giro. And once you're out the back, it's game over.

One thing ive noticed about the last two editions is how important this new climb of Roche aux Faucons has become. Last year it was where the final selection was made and this year it was where Andy made his race winning move. Looks like its could be one its way to surpassing La Redoute in terms of importance , as recently a large group has come over the top of la Redoute.
  • moray_gub
    Monty Dog wrote:

Chapeau to Dr Fuentes too :wink:

by that i am presuming that you think Andy was aided by Mr Fuentes ?
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Was I the only one who thought Silence-Lotto tactics were astray once more?

What was Glibert's 34km to go attack all about? He clearly had the juice to do something serious, why waste it so early on?

Het Volk is hardly LBL....
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    teagar wrote:

What was Glibert's 34km to go attack all about? He clearly had the juice to do something serious, why waste it so early on?

A softener for Evans? Ol' Cadel was looking pretty good on the Saint-Nicolas... unfortunately it was too late by then.

It was a good win by Schleck, but once again I was disappointed by the negative riding from the other big favourites. First, Flanders, the Amstel Gold, now again today... no-one seems willing to take the race by the scruff of the neck and give it their all.

Boonen's win in P-Rbx was the only race in this year's classics calendar where we know for sure the strongest man won.
  • teagar
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

A softener for Evans? Ol' Cadel was looking pretty good on the Saint-Nicolas... unfortunately it was too late by then.

It was a good win by Schleck, but once again I was disappointed by the negative riding from the other big favourites. First, Flanders, the Amstel Gold, now again today... no-one seems willing to take the race by the scruff of the neck and give it their all.

Boonen's win in P-Rbx was the only race in this year's classics calendar where we know for sure the strongest man won.

That's the point no? Have two strong men (he clearly was pretty strong! It was some move at 34km!) in the final? That way you can double up against the rivals and let one go.

Having said that I think the chasing group wasn't totally sitting up. I think some of them were certainly wasted. But I think Lotto should have let Gilbert sit in the group a fair bit longer. Evans didn't need a softener anyway. He needed a similarly strong team-mate.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    edited April 2009
    afx237vi wrote:
    teagar wrote:

You don't think Schleck was the strongest?

Roubaix this year really was a case of survival of the fittest, but Schleck making a move like he did and no one choosing to follow indicates to me he was the strongest.
    Mañana
  • afx237vi
    teagar wrote:
    That's the point no? Have two strong men (he clearly was pretty strong! It was some move at 34km!) in the final? That way you can double up against the rivals and let one go.

Having said that I think the chasing group wasn't totally sitting up. I think some of them were certainly wasted. But I think Lotto should have let Gilbert sit in the group a fair bit longer. Evans didn't need a softener anyway. He needed a similarly strong team-mate.

Maybe Gilbert knew he didn't have the legs to go all the way to the finish, so decided on one do-or-die burst, hoping it would pay off a la Ivanov. It's better to go out in a blaze of glory, rather than slowly drop off the back on the Roche aux Faucons. Especially for a Walloon.
  • afx237vi
    pb21 wrote:

Roubaix this year really was a case of survival of the fittest, but Schleck making a move like he did and no one choosing to follow indicates to me he was the strongest.

He was strong, but I don't know if he was the strongest. There was a lot of looking around in that chase group. I think they messed up the chase to some extent.

But hey, that's cycling. Chess on wheels and all that.
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170
    afx237vi wrote:
    pb21 wrote:

He was strong, but I don't know if he was the strongest. There was a lot of looking around in that chase group. I think they messed up the chase to some extent.

But hey, that's cycling. Chess on wheels and all that.

No doubt the chase wasn't organised, but I took that as a sign that no one was able to chase.
    Mañana
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Its a sign of the modern era.
    Teams now ride with two protected riders as a safeguard in these events.
    Result? Nobody prepared to graft.
    Look at that final selection
    Valverde had Rodriguez
    Rebellin had Scarponi
    Nibali had Kreuziger
    Gilbert had Evans. :oops:

All played "after you."

Domestiques were neither in the group, or up the road, waiting.

Only Saxo had a surplus of riders and they were able to mark out solitary attacks.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    Good wiin by Andy Schlek...and good to see a clean rider win, the schlek brothers can definitely be trusted more than Lance :lol:
  • teagar
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Good wiin by Andy Schlek...and good to see a clean rider win, the schlek brothers can definitely be trusted more than Lance :lol:

I refuse to let discussions about a wonderful classic be sullied by Lance debate.

He didn't ride it, nor was he ever planning to, so there's no need for him to be mentioned! If you want to ponder what's flowing through Schleck's veins compared to Armstrong's start another thread!
  • teagar
    Its a sign of the modern era.
    Teams now ride with two protected riders as a safeguard in these events.
    Result? Nobody prepared to graft.
    Look at that final selection
    Valverde had Rodriguez
    Rebellin had Scarponi
    Nibali had Kreuziger
    Gilbert had Evans. :oops:

All played "after you."

Domestiques were neither in the group, or up the road, waiting.

Only Saxo had a surplus of riders and they were able to mark out solitary attacks.

Seems quick-step got it right earlier in the season then, always have a third rider (either Chavanel or Devolder) to do the graft for one of the other two...
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Only saw the highlights on Eurosport but I thought it was a disappointing race.

Bit of a mixed bag with the classics this year - enjoyed Roubaix - thought Amstel, Liege and Milan SR were disappointing - the others somewhere in between. I think they've really missed the aggression of riders like Bettini or DiLuca. Still Paris Nice was good and the Tour of Turkey was surprisingly entertaining.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Yeah kinda agree with ya Tom. Amstel was really boring, and MSR, well that only ever really gets exciting in the last 45 mins. Was really disappointed with teams in Liege. I had Scarponi in my PTP but he buried himself on the front for rebellin too often and none of the others wanted to help... they just let him ride away! Roubaix was a goodun, wish Thor and Flecha could've stayed upright though.

looking forward to the Giro.
  • andyp
    Moomaloid wrote:
    Was really disappointed with teams in Liege. I had Scarponi in my PTP but he buried himself on the front for rebellin too often and none of the others wanted to help... they just let him ride away!

I don't think they just let Andy Schleck ride away, more that he timed his attack well, i.e. right at the bottom of the Roche aux Facons climb, and went so hard that no-one could get on his wheel. From the overhead shot it looked like Rebellin tried but Schleck went so hard he couldn't close the gap and looked back for support. That hesitation cost him, and the other contenders, the win.

As MG said on the previous page, Saxo Bank then played a blinder by ensuring their numerical superiority discouraged the other teams from chasing.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    Great bit of footage (1:44 - 2:25) - Andy riding through a whole clump of riders as if they were standing still :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O03VbjLpj-Y
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    I like the bit where he rides one handed while still pulling away ... cool or what?