Trails Around Leeds?

5Thumbs
5Thumbs Posts: 88
edited April 2009 in Routes
Bit of a newbie here....

Just wondered where I could get some info on the above. Ideally blue to red standard so I can take my 12 year old with me (who am I trying to kid - hes more confident than I am!).

We're off to Dalby forest next week but it would be great if there was something a bit closer to home. Ideally single track through woods etc rathert than BMX type jumps (though I'm sure he would prefer that!)

Cheers

Comments

• micken
    micken Posts: 275
    Try Harewood there are good, safe bridleways within the grounds and single track access from the Eccup end.

Whereabouts in Leeds do you want?
  • 5Thumbs
    Thanks

In terms of whereabouts - not too worried. I live in North Leeds right by Roundhay park but I'm happy to travel a few miles (cant help feeling there must be stuff around Otley/Ilkley). Was hoping for somewhere nearer than Dalby Forest but which is still a good off road ride.

Stainburn is fine distance wise but looks a bit too hard for me and my lad.

Will certainly give Harewood a try.
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Give the chevin a go - no massive, but nice and easy for children and some great views out over the Aire valley. Plenty of little routes through the trees. Can be a lot of dogs and walkers about at the weekend though.
  • It kinda depends if you wanna stick to the legal bridleways too. I grew up riding the meanwood valley trail in adel woods, the chevin, roundhay park, in fact there's loads near you. There's a book or two of trails in west yorkshire published about ten or more years ago. Also check bikely and if you're still struggling i'll post a few on there myself. Stainburn's great by the way, once you've got those trails nailed not much else comes close.
  • http://www.ernest-press.co.uk/mtb_mbgwyorks.html

That's the one. Plenty of routes near you and I reckon the original will still be relevant if you can't wait for the new revised version.
  • http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Harewood-Loop

Give this one a try. I'll put more on when I've the time and inclination.
  • 5Thumbs
    Chris in Leeds - thanks that looks very interesting. Ilive right by Roundhay Park so I've rather done it to death but I've never been out Harewood way or many others come to that.

I've heard a lot about Stainburn but got the impression its quite difficult and bearing in mind I'm no expert and my lad is only 12 I thought it might be a step too far....

Useful link to Bikely too - I'd never heard of it but there seems to be plenty on there to explore

Cheers
  • There's three trails at Stainburn. One is short, quite easy and mildly technical, one is medium in length and absolutely insanely technical and physical and one is quite long, very physical and is technically easy to insane depending on route choices. REALYY worth a visit.

Did you track down a copy of the book? I just remembered the Shadwell ride can be very easily accessed by you by riding through the golf course to the ring road, crossing it and going down Elmete Lane, Colliers Lane, past bluebell woods, left onto Main Street and right into Holywell Lane.
  • 5Thumbs
    Chris - not managed to track down the book you refer to but I have by chance happened upon a similar route which takes Elmete Lane out to Shadwell Lane but I then take a path back towards Rounday (nice blast down a single track then back through the woods).

I didnt realise there was a route via Holywell lane - intrigued as to where you go after that?
  • I'll post it later on bikely.
  • Ok, follow my previou directions then follow this route :arrow:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Sh ... t-Shadwell
  • 5Thumbs
    Nice one :D

Might see you out there - I ride a white Lapierre Zesty

Andy