Want to remove XT 770 Shift Indicators?

zerolight
zerolight Posts: 155
edited April 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
If like me, you have XT 770 shifters and want to remove the indicators so you can swap the gears and brake levers around, then here's a tip that even my bike shop was unable to suggest.

You'll be wanting the little blanks, Shimano call them Base Hole Caps, to put onto the shifter in place of the indicator. If you hunt around, like I did, you'll find little info on them, but a few dealers selling them.

Here's the thing though, you don't need to buy them. Even if you think you don't have them, you probably do. Mine were hidden behind the actual shifter indicator - you can see them if you peer between the shifter and the handle bar. They're clipped to the back of the indicator.

So if you fancy a change, pop the indicator off by removing to screws and pulling, then slide out the caps, place on shifter, and screw back down. Done. Takes 2 mins. Now you just need to flip the levers around and your sorted.

Best mod I've done thus far too.
Santa Cruz Hightower
Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc

Comments

• k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    unless you bought an import why would you want to swap the gear and brake levers around?
    who cares?
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    You can run the gear shifters on the outside of the bars, where the brakes normally sit. I've done the same on my Zaskar, you can even move the shifters along a bit by unscrewing them from the handlebar mount bits.

It's just to get everything bang on where you like it, I generally find brakes are far too far out, you want to be pulling near the end of the lever. If you shift it in too much it can be awkward getting to the shifters.

Standard inboard shifters

3474645752_0e623b90c4.jpg

Outboard shifters without gear indicators

3473837985_930fc41f59.jpg

Huge Oury grips all round! :P
  • zerolight
    zerolight Posts: 155
    k2rider wrote:
    unless you bought an import why would you want to swap the gear and brake levers around?

You misunderstand. As Toasty says, if u one finger brake, moving the brakes inboard can be desirable,

This now....

3474044665_532bebb7ae.jpg

As opposed to then...

3463987024_9e2cc4a28a.jpg
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc