Kloden the next suspended rider?

finchy
finchy Posts: 6,686
edited April 2009 in Pro race
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves20 ... loden.html

It seems that a German investigation into Telkom/T-Mobile has concluded that there was systematic doping going on in the team between 1995-2006, and Andreas Kloden was at the receiving end.

If anyone wants me, I'll be lying down trying to recover from the shock. :)

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    So much for L'equipe not being allowed to print speculative doping stories. :P
    I think Pat has found his bio passport scapegoat.
    After all, what's one more German cyclist down the toilet?

Wasn't there some Aussie or other?.......
    .....Nah!....he rides for the new clean dream team.....or should that read dream clean team? :roll:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • After everything's that happened, he sticks out like a sore thumb in that picture of the Sydney olympic podium.
  • Excuse my French, but that article seems to suggest that the Der Spiegel article will specifically mention the Freiburg convoy in 2006.

As Blaze says, if Klodi is busted or named, then surely there's got to be a focus on that certain Aussie, bearing in mind only him, Guerini and Kloden remain from that line-up who haven't been busted for doping yet.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    Why are people happy to name Guerini and Kloeden, but feel they have to employ some sort of utterly transparent code when referring to Michael Rogers?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Sorry, I was just fitting in with Blazing Saddles use of Aussie, I of course did mean Mick Rogers.

Anyway, he's English speaking and rides for High Road, must be clean ;)
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I am reading cyclingnews and it does not mention if Mick Rogers did or didn't go to uni
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    Hey, Davy, I think you know irony when you see it. Here used to emphasise the very same point on Mick Rogers.
    Besides, are we all going to go around telling eachother how to post?

I'll be interested to see, when this official report is published, whether Kloden is sacked by Astana.
    After all, if they used their "suspicious" medical programme results on Gusev to give him the boot, surely this transgression would merit the same action.

Should Rogers be in it, I would expect "Clean" Columbia to do the same.

Kessler riding in the 2006 Tour was "off the planet."
    The whole T Mob squad dominated the first ITT and Honchar????

David Harmon interview T Mobile's CPO, live during the big Pyrenean stage.
    When asked about the signing of Honchar, who was under a cloud of suspicion at the time, he said ALL their riders were sent to the Uni of Friebourg for extensive medical tests.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DaveyL
    Since when is a question a command?
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    What about the other Aussie who was at T-mobile, Cadel Evans (2003-2004)?
  • Cadel would never blindly follow the riders in front of him wherever they were going.
    Dan
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • DaveyL
    It doesn't look good for them. Nice to see one of the Docs using the old "I was only obeying orders" line though...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    I wonder who the unmatched samples were as well.

You know it goes on and what not but when you actually realise the scale of deception involved, how people inside cycling "knew" but it just carried on. Amazing.
  • On that note Iain, would it not be supremely ironic if the samples really did belong to the likes of Goedfroot and Pevenege?

It was the stuff about Sinkewitz getting half a litre of partially coagulated blood pumped into him and being allowed to walk away that really turned my stomach. How can you , regardless of your job or your views on doping in sport, ever believe that that's a good idea. Wasn't that what nearly killed Manzano?

That is what always gets me when people say "Well, if you were in that situation, I'm sure you would too"... With the rash of deaths in the mid-late 90s from EPO abuse, with Manzano almost expiring before our eyes on TV why on earth would you risk your life purely to be a bit more competetive? Surely you'd just give up and go and do something else? Maybe it's the same reflex in me that stops me taking a line i can't see through a corner on a descent, but it just seems like madness.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • DaveyL
    The anaolgy to cornering is a good one. At first you might take a fairly conservative line and go into the corner at a relatively low speed, but over time you will become more comfortable and will end up going faster and faster and taking a more and more risky line, until you get to a point where an outside oberserver would think you were taking an obscene risk (which in absolute terms you are) but you have been through that corner so many times, with no problems, that the risk doesn't register with you any more, and in fact you can't understand why other riders crawl round it at what seems to be a snail's pace.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    I wonder why did Ullrich go to Fuentes when T-Moblie had all this in-house? Or did he start using Fuentes in his Coast/Bianchi days and stuck with him?
  • iainf72
    DavMartinR wrote:
    I wonder why did Ullrich go to Fuentes when T-Moblie had all this in-house? Or did he start using Fuentes in his Coast/Bianchi days and stuck with him?

It's more likely it was because of an introduction by Ulle's prepatore
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It was Riis who introduced Ullrich to Luigi Cecchini, who seems to have referred some clients to Fuentes. This organised doping seems to pre-date the set up at Freiburg University.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    On another point I wonder why Deutsche Telekom /T-moblie hasn't gone after the money they stumped up for funding for doping free sport?

Seems like the doctors did very nicely out of T-moblie, they get paid for medical support and then they get paid by the riders for there needs?

I suppose the tin opener will be lost before the whole can of worms can be opened.
  • Kléber
    edited April 2009
    Michael Rogers falls ill, apparently he has flu. No wonder he's TT World Champion, his timing is impeccable.
  • iainf72
    Pierre mentioned this on Sunday's Cycling Report.

I kind of laughed.
  • Kléber
    iainf72 wrote:
    Pierre mentioned this on Sunday's Cycling Report.
    I laughed too but thought that was a joke, an allusion to his "instant mono" last time, didn't actually realise he was actually ill, or as they say in Aus, "feeling crook"