Truvativ Elita Chainset/Bottom Bracket problems

beetle1
beetle1 Posts: 189
edited April 2009 in Workshop
Hi all
just thought i would ask for advice re a Truvativ Elita chainset and bottom bracket. I am having the usual creaking noises from the bottom bracket area so i took the bracket out, its the out-board bearing type. Having cleaned it up, i put it back in and cycled to work yesterday and thought it was ok but on my ride home the noises were back but not when i was out of the saddle which i thought strange. Anyway, one of my questions is, can a Shimano or FSA type b/b be used and any other suggestions, thanks very much

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope different sized bearings.

but hop do do a reducer for there bb to allow the use with Truvativ cranks.

but are you sure it is the BB?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • beetle1
    beetle1 Posts: 189
    Hi nicklouse, cant be 100% its the b/b but creaks etc when just pedalling normally
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    GXP bearings IME aren't very durable - particularly the early ones. Apart from the bearings and assuming the crank bolt is tightened securely, the chainring bolts are OK, then there's not much more to go wrong with your chainset. Remove the cranks and turn the bearings by hand - unless they're smooth with no grittiness, then they probably need replacing.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..