Savoury carbs?

RichardFcp
RichardFcp Posts: 155
I'm going over to Sweden in June to ride the Vatternrundan again and have been thinking about ride food. The organisers are very good at laying on the provision of bananas, sweet rolls etc but after a while enough is enough. I have been trying to think of something savoury to take along, but the best thing I can come up at the moment is marmite sandwiches, but those are going to be far from ideal, as well as being messy to unwrap on the bike.

Any ideas?

Comments

• joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    nuts are good on a long ride, provide protein (needed on long rides) and salt (if you get salted ones obviously) to replace what you are sweating out. Ofcourse, kinda depends on if you like them or not...
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    Nuts are just fat and protein and very difficult to eat on the bike, wouldn't be a good idea I'd of thought.
  • liversedge
    liversedge Posts: 1,003
    dried fruit? or maybe a big bag of chips :-)
    --
    Obsessed is just a word elephants use to describe the dedicated. http://markliversedge.blogspot.com
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    err - oat cakes!

surprisingly good just by themselves - you could stick them together with some spready cheese (if you must)
  • DomPro
    DomPro Posts: 321
    Put a beef OXO cube in your energy drink.
    Shazam !!
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    RichardFcp wrote:
    I'm going over to Sweden in June to ride the Vatternrundan again and have been thinking about ride food. The organisers are very good at laying on the provision of bananas, sweet rolls etc but after a while enough is enough. I have been trying to think of something savoury to take along, but the best thing I can come up at the moment is marmite sandwiches, but those are going to be far from ideal, as well as being messy to unwrap on the bike.

Any ideas?

Allen Lims rice cakes (with scrambled eggs, ham or bacon and cheese) - http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/07 ... rice-cakes

delicious +he shows you how to wrap them nicely in foil so they are easy to open
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    deal wrote:
    Allen Lims rice cakes (with scrambled eggs, ham or bacon and cheese) - http://www.slipstreamsports.com/2008/07 ... rice-cakes

delicious +he shows you how to wrap them nicely in foil so they are easy to open

I was by the Slipstream bus at the start of one of the TdF stages, there were quite a few journalists talking to Allen Lim, at at the end of the conversation you'd here...... "Allen do you have any of your race cakes left over" :lol:
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    I've made them a couple of times. They're excellent. There's also another video clips where he makes some potatoes sprinkled with parmesan - very easy to do and also quite tasty.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • LittleB0b
    deal wrote:

Having seen that - i'm also thinking spanish omlette would be pretty good - anyone tried it as bike food?
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    small sarnies of marmite would be good, or thin salami etc. In Sweden you'll find things along the lines of hot dogs and pizza easliy avaliable. In fact cold pizza slices would be a nice savoury if you made your own - ie without too much cheese/fat. but all tricky to carry i guess. I know my husband & brother really enjoyed the salted cucumber that was served at Vaettern a few years ago - might be savoury enough an alternative...good luck /Lycka till
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Savoury rice cakes,(cheese or salt and vinegar etc.). The large ones the size of a Wagonwheel. (well an old Wagonwheel anyway!!) :roll:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    LittleB0b wrote:
    deal wrote:

Having seen that - i'm also thinking spanish omlette would be pretty good - anyone tried it as bike food?

I don't know anyone that can make a proper spanish omelette with 3 teaspoons of olive oil - then again I am Spanish, what do I now?!?! :twisted:

It is like making a cottage pie without mince!!!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • LittleB0b
    you had best post your recipe then!

not that i ever actually follow recipies - more use then as a starting point - but ideas are always good.

It's my favorite 'veg box' left overs food - for when the cuboard is a bit over flowing with potoatos and onions and eggs.
  • JGS
    JGS Posts: 180
    The best Spanish omlettes are made by boiling the potatoes in olive oil, so 3 teaspoons might be a bit weak. Make sure you drain the potatoes thoroughly afterwards though otherwise they can be a bit too rich.