Possible Astana Squad for the tour

Clemson Cycling
Clemson Cycling Posts: 49
edited April 2009 in Pro race
I was just looking at their roster and came to the realization that there is no way they are going to loose. Especially if they put a squad like this together

Alberto Contador
Lance Armstrong
Levi Leipheimer
Andreas Klöden
Janez Brajkovič
Haimar Zubeldia
José Luis Rubiera
Yaroslav Popovych
Chris Horner

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I was just looking at their roster and came to the realization that there is no way they are going to loose. Especially if they put a squad like this together

Alberto Contador
    Lance Armstrong
    Levi Leipheimer
    Andreas Klöden
    Janez Brajkovič
    Haimar Zubeldia
    José Luis Rubiera
    Yaroslav Popovych
    Chris Horner

You'd think so, but stranger things have happened. They seem to have their fair share of
    heavy hitters.

Dennis Noward
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,739
    I think there would be a couple of Kazakh's in there to please the sponsors?

Probably Bazayev and Iglinsky.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I reckon too many cooks spoil the broth...Kloeden chasing Vino with Ullrich on his wheeel, Bauer and Hampsten chasing down Hinault for Lemond 86. Fingers crossed the full Astana team get to the TDF, a clash of egos regardless of what they say...Astana will be long gone and the 09 TDF winner remembered forever...their shallow team talk hides personal amibitions, egos

the team is too equal in ability too...bound to lead to conflict
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300

Alberto Contador
    Lance Armstrong
    Levi Leipheimer
    Andreas Klöden
    Janez Brajkovič
    Haimar Zubeldia
    José Luis Rubiera
    Yaroslav Popovych
    Chris Horner

You'd have thought that would be the team. Just hope there isn't any in house fighting and we get a good race
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Hopefully Andy Schleck and Cadel Evans will have a say.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    Everyone hopes, but don't see it happening
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    ACMadone wrote:

You'd have thought that would be the team. Just hope there isn't any in house fighting and we get a good race

I am hoping for in house fighting! The best fighting is always in house! Look at Simoni and Cunego or LeMond and Hinault! C'mon!
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Most of these guys are riding the Giro, lets see after that.....
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Arkibal wrote:
    Most of these guys are riding the Giro, lets see after that.....

It's an excellent point. It's not the usual preperation race for most of them. Usually it would be a big rest / training after this weeks classics until the Dauphine.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Active rest is that?

I doubt Brajkovic will be in the Tour line up (in fact has he ridden the TdF yet?) and similarly I could see Horner missing out too.

As SSquirrel say's, I would've thought there'd be a Kazak or two in the team , plus I'm sure they'll be looking for a rider or two who can take on the diesel role for flat stages.

Would be nice to see them field that line-up and the whole lot implode as Levi, Janez, Berti and Klodi all decide they want to go for GC :D
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Now, I'll admit,
    I've seen nothing first hand and the rumour mill is churning, but the fact that Astana might be having problems with this bio passport announcement.
    Kloden is being muted, possibly more.
    Anybody come across anything tangible?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Meds1962
    Meds1962 Posts: 391
    Active rest is that?

I doubt Brajkovic will be in the Tour line up (in fact has he ridden the TdF yet?) and similarly I could see Horner missing out too.

As SSquirrel say's, I would've thought there'd be a Kazak or two in the team , plus I'm sure they'll be looking for a rider or two who can take on the diesel role for flat stages.

Would be nice to see them field that line-up and the whole lot implode as Levi, Janez, Berti and Klodi all decide they want to go for GC :D

No way will that happen, everyone will know their role.
    O na bawn i fel LA
  • I know it won't, but we can but dream heh
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    ACMadone wrote:
    Everyone hopes, but don't see it happening

Why not? Saxo Bank will be strong and focussed on one man. I would prefer to have the likes of Voigt and Cancellara helping me to the likes of Kloeden.

Evans will be outnumbered, but Silence should form an alliance with Saxo Bank.

Also Nibali will have a strong team behind him and will stir it up.

This won't be the cakewalk people fear. Lepheimer is overrated, Kloeden's fragile and Armstrong is too damn old and crocked.

That said, Bertie is still the man to beat. Question is: will he be treated like Lemond at La Vie Claire 85 or 86? or worse Roche a la Giro 87.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Timoid, most of the people on this post have a cycling memory that doesn't go before 1999, so there's no point in quoting 'pre-history' :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667

Alberto Contador
    Lance Armstrong
    Levi Leipheimer
    Andreas Klöden
    Janez Brajkovič
    Haimar Zubeldia
    José Luis Rubiera
    Yaroslav Popovych
    Chris Horner

:roll: not another one...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I wish they'd have let Leipheimer and Contador battle it out proper at the Giro last year...
  • Astana have to have a certain number of Kazaks in their team as part of their contract so a couple of these guys will make to step aside.

I reckon Armstrong wil blow up on the Giro - he looks to be carrying far too much weight to get over those Alps in one piece. Leipheimer will win the early timetrial and have his few days in yellow before Bertie rides an epic Ventoux.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Astana's performances so far this season have been far from convincing and I think there is too much hype about them in the magazines etc.

Contador is still the number one man though and my major favourite.
    Contador is the Greatest