bikes on trains in swtizerland and italy

CazMac
CazMac Posts: 15
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone had any experience travelling with bikes on trains in switzerland and italy. How easy is it ?? Do yo have to bag up all your bike ??

Do you have to reseve your bike as well ??? any info would be greatful

Cheers

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Have a look on www.seat61.com?

I've heard the Italian railways are very un-bike-friendly. Switzerland has the reputation for being pretty bike-friendly - but I could be wrong.
  • wakemalcolm
    wakemalcolm Posts: 662
    Taking your bike on a train in Switzerland is almost mandatory.

There's a handful of trains that can't take them but the SBB website schedules advise ones these are. There is a daily charge of CHF15:00 for bike carriage too (although if it's collapsed and bagged you might not incur that).

When the train approaches the platform, just look for the window sticker with the bike on it. Some of the platforms are a bit low but the staff are always helpful when it comes to giving you a hand.

Where are you going?
    ================================
    Cake is just weakness entering the body
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    Switzerland is one of the few countries that does integrated transport. We got one ticket that worked on everyhing: One day we got a metro from suburbs to Basle city centre, mainline train, 2 local buses, tiny cablecar up to mountain village, all on the one ticket. Railway stations rent good bikes and THE STAFF THERE KNOW HOW TO ADJUST/MAINTAIN THEM!!!!

Another day we got a train out to someplace, with my borrowed bike on the train, rented a bike for her, planning to cycle 80km back on a proper paved offroad cycle route. Only we got too tired along the way so what did we do, we just got on a train with our bikes to complete the journey.

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')