Depressing news

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited April 2009 in Pro race
Tranquilo everyone, guess who is invited to the Giro?

http://velonews.com/article/91099/fuji- ... o-d-italia
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    A nothing team with no chance. They won't even feature.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • A pretty average line-up there, only Cobo vaguely stands out. Anyone want me to go and let their tyres down before Stage 1?

Why on earth the organisers have to make a last minute addition I don't know.
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    A pretty average line-up there, only Cobo vaguely stands out. Anyone want me to go and let their tyres down before Stage 1?

Why on earth the organisers have to make a last minute addition I don't know.

Fuji took the case to CAS and won, the Giro organization had no choice.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Servetto are quite an influential Italian sponsor too...
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    on that article it highlights all the teams taking part...USA: GARMIN etc etc then it says Ireland!! Is the LPR team actually Irish based or is this a typo :shock:
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I read on CN that Gianetti is not as involved..., another Italian DS is driving the cars now..??
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Vino2007 wrote:
    on that article it highlights all the teams taking part...USA: GARMIN etc etc then it says Ireland!! Is the LPR team actually Irish based or is this a typo :shock:

LPR is Irish registered, along with CSF-Navigare.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Teams shop around. In countries like France and Italy, employers pay a contribution - like British "National Insurance" - on top of the wages, a payroll tax. It can reach 50% of the wage paid. So to pay a rider €40,000 a year, the employer is taxed €20,000, their total total cost is €60,000. Move your team to Britain or Ireland and you can give the same rider their €40,000 but you don't have to fork out the €20,000. For a team on a budget, the savings are huge.

So that's why some teams are registered in Ireland, San Marino, Monaco, Britain and other countries with low payroll taxes.

As for Fuji-Servetto riding, a shame in some ways. But there's a clear lesson for sponsors, if you clean up your shop, hire the right guys and make public commitments to doing things in a clean way you can impress ASO and others. You'll get more invites than Paris Hilton. If you hire a bunch of losers linked to many doping scandals, you risk seeing your investment spent on paying riders to go motorpacing every weekend.
  • drenkrom
    drenkrom Posts: 1,062
    Fuji-Servetto's participation itself doesn't faze me too much. They're not going to upset things with that line-up anyways. It leaves me rather indifferent.

What does disappoint me, though, is the fact they got in while Ceramica Flaminia didn't. It's not the first time RCS go for strange invite choices, but still... I guess an on-form national champion during the centenary race didn't rate highly with them.