Selling secondhand kit....

shogunsteve
shogunsteve Posts: 209
edited April 2009 in The bottom bracket
do people actually check new prices when selling a used item.

I'm always looking for s/h stuff in classified, but am always coming across bits for sale where they say (for example) "price new £45, I'm asking £23 posted".

So often they confuse RRP prices for what something can actually be bought for.

In this case it was a rear mech and for an extra £8 I could get a new one of same model from CRC. Personally I'd rather buy new if the difference in price is that small.

Am I being picky or do some people need to check out REAL prices before listing stuff??!

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I've noticed they do get a bit militant in the Classifieds section, if someone questions their asking price.

There are also a few in there, that their only thing they add to the forum is to tell sell stuff. I've noticed one guy who buys tonnes of stuff for builds that never happened :?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    I've noticed they do get a bit militant in the Classifieds section, if someone questions their asking price.

There are also a few in there, that their only thing they add to the forum is to tell sell stuff. I've noticed one guy who buys tonnes of stuff for builds that never happened :?

Yeah noticed that myself.

Well I would never question someone within their post if you know what I mean, but I do read alot of stuff in there and think wow thats expensive for something with no warranty of any sort.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    Well I would never question someone within their post if you know what I mean, but I do read alot of stuff in there and think wow thats expensive for something with no warranty of any sort.

Generally that's why I wouldn't buy anything off the classifieds unless it was a bargain. CRC might something for £35, and they might be selling it for £30, but I'd much rather not take the risk and get it from CRC.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    For example i was watching these (for a mate):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mad-Rock-Flash-La ... 240%3A1318

Google them and they're 60 quid brand new from the most expensive place :?
    Seen them for 50 some places :roll: [/i]
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Never underestimate the power of a bidding war :roll:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Yes there are always the guys who regulalry post saying they bought stuff for a build that never happened or they have to sell their new bike due to an "injury". Makes me think that the items or bike are knock off or nicked. Anyway most of the stuff on eBay is nicked, counterfeit, has a fault with it or is knackered. Why else would people sell it? I have too many times won items on ebay that have been described as like new or in fantastic condition that when I have received them have turned out to be knackered junk eg chainsets or cameras that have a fault. Ebay or Paypal don't want to know and so you end wishing you'd bought the stuff from a shop. As has been already been said there is nothing like a bidding war to inflate the value of an item. I have seen clipless pedals sell for £26.16 when they can be got from CRC for £15.99 with a warranty and statutory rights. Are people thick or just lazy?
    If an item is genuinely new condition but unused they still want pretty much full RRP....Dream on you expect some one to pay you near RRP with no warranty or statutory rights. :roll: As has been said some of these peeps need a reality check.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.