Cycling coaches

joeyhalloran
joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
I was wondering how much difference a cycle coach would make. I often find myself with energy to burn but without the knowledge of exactly what kind of work out to do so i just go and ride until i am tired, i guess this is the main advantage. Anyone having experiances? How much do people pay (if its not to personal a question) and is it worth it?

Comments

• Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    What are your goals? Do you ride so that you can race? Time trial? Or just for general fitness?

If you have no goals, a cycling coach will probably be as clueless as you, but if you do have some, they will be able to help you get there.

There's a chap on here called Alex, who will probably be along shortly. He's a coach, and always seems to know exactly what he's talking about when it comes to cycling...
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    aims are mainly timetrials and racing, compeatative racing really.
  • Well hard for me to comment since I am obviously biased. :wink:

Working with a good coach is a tremendous performance enhancer and there are many benefits of using a coach (knowledge, accountability, objectivity, motivational etc). But it's not for everyone and it helps to have a relationship that works for you.

Why not drop Ric Stern a note:
    ric@cyclecoach.com

or have a look at our training plans if you don't think full coaching is your gig.
    just check out the links below for more info.
  • I don't know anything about cycle coaching specifically (as in being the recipient of) but I can certainly confirm that if you get on well with your coach, are on the same wavelength and are prepared to put the work in, it will be well worth money.

I see a personal trainer regularly and I knew straight from the off that he would help me achieve my goals. And like Bhima said, if you know what your goals are then that will help enormously! My PT has had a bit of a job on with me as I've had a few recurring back/hip/leg problems that have been a real challenge for both of us to manage, but he has done a fantastic job. He listens, he thinks about my needs, is proactive and pushes me, but not in a 'come on you stupid woman' way.

Do it!
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you want to REALLY improve I would say go for it. A much better investment than
    trying to "buy" improvement by spending tons of money on bike parts that are, of course,
    advertised as the only way to put you "on the podium".

Dennis Noward
  • Getting yourself in a good local club will help too.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015