First Go On a Road Bike And....

ShaggyRS6
ShaggyRS6 Posts: 247
edited April 2009 in Road beginners
I am hooked on that now as well. Damn bikes. I have only been into cycling for a matter of weeks, I have just gotten a Scott spark 35 which I adore. I then get on a Scott CR1 Team for 30 mins. OMG its fast and smooth, and the steering is so responsive, and the brakes are superb, everything i thought it would not be.

Now to justify 2 bikes.
11 Scott CR1 Comp

Comments

• racingt
    racingt Posts: 108
    Justify two bikes?
    that's easy, five is harder.....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm currently debating a sixth...

And I can't even ride at the moment.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    A 6th bike will be an incentive to heal quicker Napoleon!!! Do it!
  • ShaggyRS6
    racingt wrote:
    Justify two bikes?

Not when you have just been made redundant its not :)
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • Animal100
    Animal100 Posts: 55
    1 MTB - Giant XTC SE
    1 Road - Giant DEFY 2.5
    VTR1000 Firestorm
    FJR1300

I just love bikes!

Does make it hard when out of work though - I hope you are blessed with some good fortune to justify the second bike - Good luck
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    ShaggyRS6 wrote:
    racingt wrote:
    Justify two bikes?

of course it is. Like this;

1. A bike is a one off investment*. While you are unemployed you will need to keep fit, but won't want ongoing gym fees, for an undefined persiod. Hence spending your redundancy on a bike ensures your fitness no matter how long you are without a job.

2. No one wants to employ someone who doesn't look after themselves. Turing up for interviews looking fit and healthy is improving your employment chances.

3. Cycling will look good on your CV - but it'll look even better if your interviewer asks you what kind of bikes you have and your response is at least half decent, and you can show some dedication.

*this might be a lie
  • DoubleTop
    DoubleTop Posts: 48
    I am picking my Scott CR1 Comp up the weekend - what a bike. I can only think the Team is slightly better, but I must admit I don't know how. When I went for a test ride the LBS the salesperson had a Scott Addict and a Scott CR1 Pro and said he preferred the CR1. He is a Cat 3 rider, what can you say. Get the CR1 and enjoy the open road - I got a mountain bike but when the sun is out after work then all I want to do is get on a road bike and burn some miles !!!!!!! I can mountaining biking in the rain after all. Why not buy both bikes - they are great not a bad way to spend 3.5k to 4k
  • ShaggyRS6
    I know the CR1's are great. Grrr, more money
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • LittleB0b wrote:
    ShaggyRS6 wrote:
    racingt wrote:
    Justify two bikes?

of course it is. Like this;

1. A bike is a one off investment*. While you are unemployed you will need to keep fit, but won't want ongoing gym fees, for an undefined persiod. Hence spending your redundancy on a bike ensures your fitness no matter how long you are without a job.

2. No one wants to employ someone who doesn't look after themselves. Turing up for interviews looking fit and healthy is improving your employment chances.

3. Cycling will look good on your CV - but it'll look even better if your interviewer asks you what kind of bikes you have and your response is at least half decent, and you can show some dedication.

*this might be a lie

:D excellent theory. And it is true - especially number 2.

ShaggyRS6 - it is defo addictive. I have a list. And also a list of events I want to do after my first one in June! :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    Cannondale F800SL
    Giant Trance 2
    Giant OCR2

All the basis covered!

........although, could do with a CX, and I've always fancied a fully rigid SS, OCR's getting on a bit so could really do with changing for something nicer, don't really want to sell it though so I s'pose I could use it as my hack/pub bike, damn gonna need a bigger shed (and income)!
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    I currently have 4 bikes too but they all have different uses...

summer bike - Pedalforce carbon frame, ultegra sl
    winter bike - Giant SCR 2.0, triple tiagra, full guards
    full suss mountain bike, Giant Trance 3 (2005 but with upgraded brakes/forks)
    hardtail, merlin malt 2 frame and deore LX gearing

now all i need is a touring bike and a timetrial bike...maybe a new mtb and those Felt AR road frames look nice...

....hello my name is deal, and im an addict
  • mr.g
    mr.g Posts: 36
    I thought i'd input my opinion!

I have a CR1 Team edition (black/white/flecks of yellow). While the bike itself is a good bike, and i might add the first road bike i've purchased. It fails completely to inspire me. The paintwork is dull and un-inviting. Classic lines and a racebred frame (which changed the way road bike carbon frames were made after it's release) and on paper it had the right ingredients for a winner.

But.....

If compared to say, a Bianchi/look/Fuji/Cube/Viner just to name a few of the similarly priced bikes, it for me does not stack up. I've only recently purchased this CR1 and have an appointment at my DBS to replace it with something more exotic. Scott have a mistaken identity too, Scott USA (once called) but they are actually made in Switzerland. Some are assembled in Asia.

I'm not here to slate Scott or get into an arguement with what bike is better, where its made. I'm just stating that for me Scott are not all they seem to be.

I'm hoping to walk out of the shop with either an Viner or Bianchi, got my heart set on the Bianchi though to be truthful, soft spot call it.

Just my opinion. Doesn't mean to say it's right.

G
  • ShaggyRS6
    I'd rather go for expertise in making bikes and proven track record rather than a flashy paint work. But that's just me.
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    ShaggyRS6 wrote:
    I know the CR1's are great. Grrr, more money

I have a yellow and black 07 CR1 Pro and it's an awesome bit of kit.
  • ShaggyRS6
    I was talking to the CEO of Scott USA about them, the engineering that goes into the bikes is outstanding.

I went into the world of bikes with an open mind, and actually looked at a fair few manufacturers. The reason I done this is because generally, when it comes to me and hobbies, i normally jump in at the deep end, feet first, get the best looking, most expensive thing their is, money no object blah blah, even if it's the wrong thing to do.

this time was going to be different. When I got my spark I was sure and still am today that it was the right thing to do for me.

If I do go for a road bike, it will be the CR1 Team or above that I go for.
    11 Scott CR1 Comp
  • mr.g
    mr.g Posts: 36
    Seems we have some Scott Fans here then. You pay your money you make your choice!

I made the wrong choice, its nothing to do with paintjobs. It's the look of the bike, the geometry and yes the colours which make me drawn to it. I'm sorry lads but Scott for me just don't cut the mustard!

I won't sit here and slate Scott as i still believe they are good bikes with proven records. Personal opinions & tatses differ from person to person or we'd all own a Scott CR1. I'll admit i am a snob when it comes to bikes and if i could afford it i'd have a really nice one. Reality is though for £1500 or thereabouts i could own something slightly better than the CR1, which is why i'm taking mine back!

G