New Bike - Bianchi

Stuey01
Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
I'm moving over to the darkside and have just won an auction for a Bianchi Via nirone Veloce on ebay :D

Comes with full veloce, alu/carbon frame and man size rings up front.

Looking forward to commuting on it through the summer, may need to re-route my commute to add a little more distance and to join in the SCR fun on the Embankment.
I fear I will now have to get much much faster as my FCN is significantly reduced with this purchase.

I'll be the guy in muddy MTB baggies aboard a white bianchi 8)
Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited April 2009
    Any Pics of this "beast of beauty"

Welcome to the world of fast rides and hard miles. Hope to see you at the Mopeth as well!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Nothing to see here DDD, move along.

Nice purchase Stuey, welcome to the embankment peloton.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Stuey01
    There will be pics as soon as it arrives... I hope it gets here before the weekend...
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You know for less than £20 you could alternate between geared roadie and city single speed :twisted:

Press HERE for more details
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    itboffin wrote:
    You know for less than £20 you could alternate between geared roadie and city single speed :twisted:

I think you can do it for free if you adjust the grub screws on the rear mech far enough.

However there is no good reason to do this.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    JonGinge wrote:
    Nothing to see here DDD, move along.

Nice purchase Stuey, welcome to the embankment peloton.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    However there is no good reason to do this.

Word.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    itboffin wrote:

Or you could just not change gear :?
  • Stuey01
    Indeed, I shall be keeping my gears and I shall, in all likelihood, use them.
  • Stuey01
    It's arrived!

Looks good, apart from the back wheel being pretty pringled, I shall take the spoke key to it this evening to try and straighten it out.

I was a bit concerned on the sizing, it is a 53 and I am 5'9. A 54cm Cannondale and Scott were bang on and I found the 55 in Bianchi to be a little long so I gambled on this having not tried one in this size. I haven't been out on it yet due to the wheel... but I think it is going to be just right. The saddle is quite high, which puts me in a pretty racy position with the saddle way higher than the bars, so I may need to invest in some new bars with a small drop.

V excited.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    FSA Omega Compact bars might be perfect.
  • Stuey01
    Looks just like what I had in my head. I'll give it a go with the current bars and see how I go.
  • Stuey01
    Woohoo - wheel is now straight! Been a looooong time since I've wielded a spoke key...
  • cjcp
    Excellent. Commute starts today What's your commute route? :wink:

If it's a fraction short, you could fit a cm longer stem.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Stuey01
    First impression is that it is definately not too short. The stem on it is quite long already.

First day on the new bike is tomorrow as I am playing footy tonight. Route is up Burntwood/Nightingale lane to Clapham South then straight up the A3 to Elephant and Castle, veer off immediately after E&C roundabout toward Southwark Bridge, my office is near there. Only 6.7 miles so on nice days I will prob go a longer route on the way home, most likely taking in the embankment.
  • Stuey01
    2 Q's:

1) Saddles - the one on there is a device of torture. Thinking of a Charge spoon as they are cheap and ok (I have them on both my MTBs). Any other recommendations that won't break the bank?
    Must be available in white to match the bar tape.

2) Tyres - currently has on it a pair of 20mm(!) conti ultrasport that look like they will be v uncomfortble and, frankly, terrifying in the wet. Any recommendations?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    All tyres are terrifying in the wet it's nature's way :?

I've got 23mm conti ultra gatorskins and they were fine yesterday in the birmingham monsoon, just take it steady incase some metal jumps out at you I knew it was supposed to be slippery but my god! I got pinged sideways by one of those little studs at a ped crossing! :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    For the saddles, some of the other guys seem to like the Specialized BG Toupe... available in many colours.
  • prawny
    For the saddles, some of the other guys seem to like the Specialized BG Toupe... available in many colours.

Evidently your bank is more robust than mine I want a charge spoon but I cant afford one :cry: Waah waah!
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    prawny wrote:

Evidently your bank is more robust than mine I want a charge spoon but I cant afford one :cry: Waah waah!

You do realize your quoting one of the few people on this forum who are ensuring the bike industry doesn't go under in the "economic downturn" ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    I've got a Charge Spoon and its great, nice and comfy for the 10 mile commute
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • Stuey01
    Did the commute on the Bianchi this morning.

Thoughts:

- Felt effortless and fast
    - My hands got tired riding on the hoods.
    - saddle was more comfortable than expected
    - it was comfy, tires were fine so I prob won't change them until they are knackered.
    - shifting is shagged, needs work - I need to learn about campag ergo's (previously only worked on MTBs)[/list]
  • cjcp
    Excellent. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Did the commute on the Bianchi this morning.

Thoughts:

- Felt effortless and fast
    - My hands got tired riding on the hoods.
    - saddle was more comfortable than expected
    - it was comfy, tires were fine so I prob won't change them until they are knackered.
    - shifting is shagged, needs work - I need to learn about campag ergo's (previously only worked on MTBs)[/list]

Excellent! Sounds like another convert :-D

In regards to your points, I also experienced the hand pain when I first got a roadie, it went away after a week or so once my hands got used to the new riding position.

When you say "shifting is shagged" do you mean it's not shifting or just very sloppy? It could just be a simple case of adjusting the indexing which I think is the same method used on MTB's

Finally a roadie is always fast and effortless :-) Just wait until you get used to that and try riding any other bike, it feels like your putting in a heck of a lot of effort for not very much forward motion :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Stuey01
    I'm not sure in what context you meant convert - I already commuted by bike. But I am most definately converted to riding a road bike on the road.

I am sure you are right about the hands.

Shifting probs = over shifting on some sprockets, unable to get some. Indexing shagged. Hopefully should be a simple adjustment. Just wish I had a workstand to make it a bit easier...
  • Bassjunkieuk
    I meant convert to "the darkside" of road bikes ;-)

Working on a bike without a workstand is a serious PITA and that is one of the things on my shopping list.........in the meantime I have to resort to upturning the bike to work on wheels/gears or wedging the wheels between bricks if I need to keep it steady right way up!
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I'll be interested to hear how you get on with the Via Nirone - it's one of the bikes on my shortlist.

Still waiting for the bike shop to get back to me with when I can get a test ride ...
    Misguided Idealist
  • Stuey01
    Took a detour along embankment on the way home today. Traffic was a bitch but was nice to get some new scenery. Bike was quick, but my lower back was sore when I got home. Still have some adjusting to do from the super comfy mtb I reckon.

Broke with man code and read the manual for the campag dérailleur tonight. Reckon I have the shifting sorted now but won't get to test til friday, getting the train tomorrow to facilitate a boozing sesh tomorrow night
  • cjcp
    Yep, traffic has been hopeless the last week or so. There seem to be lots more coaches parked up, but I think it's the railings in Parlt Square that are the main problem. Anyone know what that nonsense is all about?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prawny
    I meant convert to "the darkside" of road bikes ;-)

Working on a bike without a workstand is a serious PITA and that is one of the things on my shopping list.........in the meantime I have to resort to upturning the bike to work on wheels/gears or wedging the wheels between bricks if I need to keep it steady right way up!

I picked up a little rear wheel stand from halfords for a tenner, great for gear cleaning/adjusting. they're not on the website but they've got them in store. I need a proper workstand but they're too expensive.
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017