Cassette: XT
Pedals: Shimano M520

Rims: Mavic XM 321
Spokes: DT Swiss
Hubs: Shimano Deore Disk
Tubes: Panaracer
Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph

Weight: 27lbs

Wheels are weighing it down at the moment...as soon as I have the money I'll have a set of Hope Pro II on 717's.

:D

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    Not too shabby :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Airienteer
    Airienteer Posts: 695
    Quality. Although I'm not too keen on the saddle, looks a little odd.
  • davebarrie
    davebarrie Posts: 202
    I know, the blue doesn't really fit, but it was pretty low on my priorities list for getting this thing off the ground.

I'm considering a Gobi in the near future...
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    That's really nice mate, i like that a lot 8)
  • davebarrie
    Thanks :) I thought £175 was a fair price for the frame! Bargain...those guys at On-One definitely know how to build frames....

I've had a quick look at your Lobster...I'm interested to hear about those XT wheels. I'm thinking of getting some Hope Pro II's on 717's...what's the weight of the XT's in comparison? Is there a significant price difference?
  • adb1006
    davebarrie wrote:

I've had a quick look at your Lobster...I'm interested to hear about those XT wheels. I'm thinking of getting some Hope Pro II's on 717's...what's the weight of the XT's in comparison? Is there a significant price difference?

When i bought the XT's, they were on offer for under £200! Toasty on here has the same (it was on his recommendation i bought them), and he weighed his at 1650g the pair. Based on that and the fact they're UST, it was really a no-brainer! Think they're more like £250-£300 on there now though, plus you have to factor in the cost of either Shimano centre-lock rotors or some centre-lock adapters, so they're no longer the deal they were when i got them :cry:
    I can say though that they're a great wheelset. Light, tight and fast rolling. I run them tubeless and have had no problems whatsoever since installing. i definitely wouldn't go back to tubes!

On a different note - my mate has just ordered some XT 6 bolt hubs with XM819's and DT double butted spokes off Merlin for just under £200 - that sounds like a great deal to me. XM819's are UST too.
  • davebarrie
    Okay, well that's a very useful insight, thanks a lot. I think for the money the hope II and 717's are more suited to my needs....I also wouldn't want to fanny around with centrelock adapters and the like.

I think i'd prefer the sealed bearings on the hopes rather than the XT hubs...and plus the freehub is really nice and loud on the hopes! always a bonus.

I'm not too fussed about tubeless tbh...while i'm sure it's a great system, i think i'll stick to tubes for the time being. (as a side note - are the 717's able to be converted to tybeless? I know you can get a seal kit, but are there certain rims that it just won't work on?)
  • adb1006
    davebarrie wrote:
    Okay, well that's a very useful insight, thanks a lot. I think for the money the hope II and 717's are more suited to my needs....I also wouldn't want to fanny around with centrelock adapters and the like.

I think i'd prefer the sealed bearings on the hopes rather than the XT hubs...and plus the freehub is really nice and loud on the hopes! always a bonus.

I'm not too fussed about tubeless tbh...while i'm sure it's a great system, i think i'll stick to tubes for the time being. (as a side note - are the 717's able to be converted to tybeless? I know you can get a seal kit, but are there certain rims that it just won't work on?)

My initial plan was Pro II's and 717's! However, i was pretty set on going tubeless at some point and once you addin the weight of rim strips etc that are needed for the conversion, it counteracts any weight-saving you get from the 717's. Plus Pro II's aren't the lightest hub about anyway - especially not for the price premium they seem to command.

I then considered the XM819's on Pro II's and they were coming up heavier and more expensive than the XT set.

The general consensus i got was that Pro II's are heavier than claimed and there seems to be a bit of a divide as to those who are fans of Hope and those who are fans of Shimano. They both seem to have their "pro's and con's".

I was also very unsure about the centre-lock hubs but it's brilliant. It's so much simpler than the 6 bolt system - why it isn't the industry standard is beyond me. I bought the DT Swiss adapters - they fit perfectly and apparently weigh less than 6 x t25 torx bolts!
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    I might have this wrong but wasn't the summer season frame designed for 100mm forks and the regular 456 for longer forks? 'If' this is correct, how does it ride?

Looks good by the way.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • adb1006
    This is my thread discussing my options for wheelsets - you may find it helpful http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
  • davebarrie
    passout: it's the other way round actually. The '456' refers to being able to use either a 4, 5 or 6 inch fork with the frame. However the Summer Season has a slightly slacker head angle for use with a 5/6 inch fork. It is essentially identical to the 456, but with tweaked geometry. As it happens, it handles amazingly well. I've had to change to a shorter stem and some lower risers because the top-tube is quite long. But so far so good! I've yet to test it on a full day ride....I'll report back.

adb: many thanks for all the wheelset info - i'll check out the link. Interesting about Hope/Shimano divide....tbh all i've ever known is Deore disc hubs!
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598
    Interesting build, given it's a 456 though I'd go for something tougher than the XT wheelset though, 24 thin spokes are light but it'd be wasted on such a burly frame :) If it had been a straight geared inbred I'd have suggested them. What size tyres are they just out of interest? I wouldn't run too wide on 17mm rims, stick a set of 719s on instead if you fancy bigger tyres.

Very tempted to build up a similar bike myself to be honest, although good value the frame prices have really hiked up by £50 in the last few months which is a shame.

I wouldn't worry about weight too much :) That summer season frame is the burliest hardtail they do at the minute, much more reinforcement than the standard inbreds and made out of heavier stuff than the standard 456s, it's built to be bombproof, it's never going to be amazingly light :)
  • adb1006
    What about something like the 5.1 Hope Hoops?
  • toasty
    Hope have started doing Hope Hoops with Stans rims this year too.

Arch is similar to 719 but a bit lighter (bit wider than DT 4.2), Flow is similar to a lighter 5.1. They're a bit cheap looking, no eyelets and very shallow profile. The reviews always seem to rave about them though.

You can even run them tubeless if you yellow tape them up.
  • davebarrie
    Toasty wrote:
    Interesting build, given it's a 456 though I'd go for something tougher than the XT wheelset though, 24 thin spokes are light but it'd be wasted on such a burly frame :) If it had been a straight geared inbred I'd have suggested them. What size tyres are they just out of interest? I wouldn't run too wide on 17mm rims, stick a set of 719s on instead if you fancy bigger tyres.

Very tempted to build up a similar bike myself to be honest, although good value the frame prices have really hiked up by £50 in the last few months which is a shame.

I wouldn't worry about weight too much :) That summer season frame is the burliest hardtail they do at the minute, much more reinforcement than the standard inbreds and made out of heavier stuff than the standard 456s, it's built to be bombproof, it's never going to be amazingly light :)

The tyres are 2.25in, but they are currently sitting on the XM321 rims.

Hmm...the price hike is pretty much inevitable these days...but still, the Summer Season is still selling at £175 (http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/4 ... eason.html). Still a seriously good price for such a well-built frame.

I know what you mean about it not exactly being a light-weight bike....but my previous bike was a big fat Azonic Sabre, so I'm loving the extra weight loss...I just think my current wheels are too heavy-duty for what i'm using them for.
  • toasty
    Yeah, the deore hubs will add a lot of mass without any extra strength anyway :) Seems an obvious weak spot.

I'm still not too convinced about the price hikes. Shimano and SRAM all rocketed up (including Rockshox/Avid/Truvativ etc), which has broken the prices on most full bikes. A lot of manufacturers are just lowering spec to keep the prices stable. Most locally sourced frames haven't changed much though, certainly not enough to warranty a 40% jump, 10-20% I could understand :/
  • passout
    davebarrie wrote:
    passout: it's the other way round actually. The '456' refers to being able to use either a 4, 5 or 6 inch fork with the frame. However the Summer Season has a slightly slacker head angle for use with a 5/6 inch fork. It is essentially identical to the 456, but with tweaked geometry. As it happens, it handles amazingly well. I've had to change to a shorter stem and some lower risers because the top-tube is quite long. But so far so good! I've yet to test it on a full day ride....I'll report back.

adb: many thanks for all the wheelset info - i'll check out the link. Interesting about Hope/Shimano divide....tbh all i've ever known is Deore disc hubs!

I stand corrected. I was half thinking of one of these frames in the future - I'd be putting some 140mm forks on it. From the posts above I think that the regular inbred may suit me better though - I'm more XC than Xtreme so to speak.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • davebarrie
    I stand corrected. I was half thinking of one of these frames in the future - I'd be putting some 140mm forks on it. From the posts above I think that the regular inbred may suit me better though - I'm more XC than Xtreme so to speak.

To be honest, I think the extra weight gained from the plain-gauge chromo is worth it in the long run:
    We made it in plain gauge chromoly as it’s tougher in all sorts of ways - ie: dent resistance outside the pub, and impact strength too.
    I bought this frame because I wanted it to last, and having come from a 6" full-susser, I thought it might take a little while to 'learn' how to ride a HT again....I'm still taking FS lines, and more ambitious stuff that would be fine on a FS, but turns out pretty sketchy on a HT. So for those reasons, I guess i just reasoned that the extra strength was worth it!

Plus, I just think the Summer Season looks a million times better than the standard Blue finish on the 456. I love the raw finish on the summer season....
  • toasty
    davebarrie wrote:
    Plus, I just think the Summer Season looks a million times better than the standard Blue finish on the 456. I love the raw finish on the summer season....

I know, I'm having such a dilema over that. Normal 456 are still built burly, they rarely break but that Summer Season colour looks amazing :( I don't really want such a slack head angle either.

The standard Inbred is designed for 100-120mm forks, it's quite a bit less burly so lighter too, with a steeper head angle. I don't mind the white colour as well.

I think the standard blue 456 is at the top of my list so far :( It's just what I'm after really, I want something I can chuck around the 4X course near work at lunch, ride to work occationally and chuck about a bit at the weekends.
  • davebarrie
    The standard Inbred is designed for 100-120mm forks, it's quite a bit less burly so lighter too, with a steeper head angle. I don't mind the white colour as well.

Yes the standard geared inbred is nice. I can't work out why it's £10 more than the 456 & Summer Season, but meh! It's a possible future singlespeed project for me. Probably well into the future, but it's a good looking frame.

It's strange how there are hardly any equivalents to On-One - well made, affordable frames in simple designs.
  • toasty
    It's £185, the same as a standard 456. The Summer one is cheaper because it uses cheaper tubing.

If you want to make a singlespeed I'd strongly recommend the sliding dropout model (which is also £175 :P). I've messed about with single speeding on standard dropouts, half links for chains and chain tentioners, it's not fun. That frame would be perfect.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There are a few cheaper steel frames about - Handsome Dog talisman is an XC frame for a 100mm fork that comes in at 4.2lbs and 99 quid plus the Charge Blender. A few as part of full builds ie Dawes, Genesis.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Charg ... 360026616/

http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/5473.html

But overall would be good to have a few more after market frames. Light steel was all in fashion 10-15 years ago, but as alu got cheaper and the frames lighter, it was forgotten about for a while except the exotic top end stuff. OnOne, as they do, found a hole, made it cool again and haven't looked back!

I think the standard inbred is a 4.7lb frame, the 456 obviously gets the different geo and wider/thicker tubing. Summer season is plain guage: I would imagine it feels a bit stiffer than the other two.
  • davebarrie
    Toasty wrote:
    It's £185, the same as a standard 456. The Summer one is cheaper because it uses cheaper tubing.

If you want to make a singlespeed I'd strongly recommend the sliding dropout model (which is also £175 :P). I've messed about with single speeding on standard dropouts, half links for chains and chain tentioners, it's not fun. That frame would be perfect.

Ah must have mis-read the prices.

Yeh if I was building up a singlespeed, I'd certainly get the sliding dropout - SO much less hassle! I've seen loads of them around...they are a really popular singlespeed frame - for obvious reasons!
    I think the standard inbred is a 4.7lb frame, the 456 obviously gets the different geo and wider/thicker tubing. Summer season is plain guage: I would imagine it feels a bit stiffer than the other two.

It does feel very stiff, but i can't say that I've ridden the other two for a comparison. It's a joy to ride after a squidgy 6" Full-sus beast....
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    davebarrie wrote:
    Just finished building up my new steed.

IMG_1424.jpg

ARGHHH!!! Another one!!

Beautiful bike DaveBarrie, but you made a noob mistake - YOU GOT GEARS ON IT!!??

Why??! Lol.

Seriously, gorgeous. LOVE the colour. Shame about not being a SS, like all On-One's should be :lol::wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • passout
    I've got a single speed cross bike and I think that S/S just limits your options. My cross bike is now used for short training rides & commuting only - for which it is ideal. As for off road stuff - I ride in the Lakes & Highlands and I really wouldn't want to use a S/S there; I generally use a geared full sussers at the moment.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I love the on-ones (I've got a 456 in my sig, a pompino and a ss inbred with coil u-turn toras) they're just unlike anything else I've ridden, they just beg to be pushed harder!

I really ought to weigh my bikes to satisfy my curiosity...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Looks good.

Where did you get the wheels from as they're the exact wheels i have on my handjob
  • davebarrie
    Steve_b77 wrote:
    Looks good.

Where did you get the wheels from as they're the exact wheels i have on my handjob

I bought them from Merlin Cycles about 3 years ago....
    ARGHHH!!! Another one!!

Beautiful bike DaveBarrie, but you made a noob mistake - YOU GOT GEARS ON IT!!??

Why??! Lol.

Seriously, gorgeous. LOVE the colour. Shame about not being a SS, like all On-One's should be Laughing Wink

Hah, thanks for (most of) the comments! Sadly I'm really in need of gears these days....I would truly love to have a singlespeed second bike, but at the moment I simply haven't the funds or the space!
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Well, strip off the gears, sell them on eBay, and convert to a SS, saving some money in the process :wink:

Seriously, each to their own.

Awesome bike, and I'm VERY jealous indeed.

Some real touches - Fox forks, Thomson finishing kit, Chris Kind headset.

I really hope you ride it hard.

Beautiful.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • riggsy81
    riggsy81 Posts: 281
    that looks awesome... which is the exact reason Im really liking the look of the raw finish over the blue 456.

I can feel a purchase coming on....
    I̶m̶ ̶t̶i̶r̶e̶d̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶
    I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶o̶ ̶l̶a̶t̶e̶
    NO EXCUSES
    JUST RIDE!!!