Are these shoes good for touring

nun
nun Posts: 434
edited April 2009 in Tour & expedition
Has anyone experience with the new Exustar shoes for long distance touring? What are they like to walk in, does the SPD cleat click on the floor? or have they got the recess right?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Exust ... 360041403/

Comments

• rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    No experience with these but by the looks of them they don't look ideal for touring especially considering the price. If i were you i'd pay a little extra and get the Shimano MT90s. A little more heavy duty and waterproof without being too bulky or hot apparently.
  • GyatsoLa
    GyatsoLa Posts: 667
    Ok, one more 'I haven't tried them but that won't stop me commenting' posting....:

In my experience, the only decent cycling shoes for touring are those with vibram soles, because vibram allows shock relief and grip to make up for the stiffness of a proper cycling sole. A shoe without vibram will either be too harsh for walking, or not stiff enough for comfortable cycling. But as I said, I haven't tried those shoes, so maybe they are the exception.

That said, they are lovely looking shoes, perfect for a gentleman cycling from fine imbibing emporium to his country house guesthouse.... to be worn with Rapha tweeds, I think ;-)
  • Hi - Yes, I used this brand on my ride across Australia last August-September, and on all of my 2,000 miles training beforehand. I think they are excellent. Mine are a slightly different model - Exustar SM600 Stelvio SPD Leather Shoes - but very similar. Mine were cheaper than the model you are looking at ... which look even better than mine! They are easy to walk in and very comfortable and breathable. The cleat doesn't click on the floor. See details of my ride, equipment etc at www.riscombe.co.uk/cycleride08.htm

Brian
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Do the shoes come with suit?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    The only question I'd have is what about drying them, if/when they get soaked? Invest in a big tin of dubbin?
  • nun
    Hi - Yes, I used this brand on my ride across Australia last August-September, and on all of my 2,000 miles training beforehand. I think they are excellent. Mine are a slightly different model - Exustar SM600 Stelvio SPD Leather Shoes - but very similar. Mine were cheaper than the model you are looking at ... which look even better than mine! They are easy to walk in and very comfortable and breathable. The cleat doesn't click on the floor. See details of my ride, equipment etc at www.riscombe.co.uk/cycleride08.htm

Brian

Yes I saw the other type of shoe too. It looks a bit better for touring, not quite as fancy as the shoes I linked to. How is the sizing? I'm take a 45 and have a wide foot would a 45 in these shoes fit ok given your experience
  • nun wrote:
    Hi - Yes, I used this brand on my ride across Australia last August-September, and on all of my 2,000 miles training beforehand. I think they are excellent. Mine are a slightly different model - Exustar SM600 Stelvio SPD Leather Shoes - but very similar. Mine were cheaper than the model you are looking at ... which look even better than mine! They are easy to walk in and very comfortable and breathable. The cleat doesn't click on the floor. See details of my ride, equipment etc at www.riscombe.co.uk/cycleride08.htm

Brian

Yes I saw the other type of shoe too. It looks a bit better for touring, not quite as fancy as the shoes I linked to. How is the sizing? I'm take a 45 and have a wide foot would a 45 in these shoes fit ok given your experience

Hi Nun - My Exustar SM600s are size 43 and I normally take a 8.5 or 9 shoe size. That normally equates to a 42.5 or 43 ... and they fit me well, so they seem to be a standard fit. I think they will be okay for wider feet.

Brian
  • nun
    Well I've ordered a pair of the Exustar Commuter shoes, but I went up a size as I like room in my shoes for my feet to expand. Street shoes I'm a 45, but for cycling I'm either 45 or 46 so I went with 46. The good thing about leather is it's stretch. I also picked up a pair of the new Shimano SH-M076 MTB shoes. I'll post a comparative review when they come in.

shimano-m076-med.jpg
  • lloyd_bower
    lloyd_bower Posts: 664
    I've not tried the Exustar shoe featured, but I tried a few of their other models as they are fairly well discounted over here (NZ) but I found myself between sizes and ended up getting a replacement pair of Specialized BG Sport MTB Shoes which I notice Wiggle no longer seem to stock.
    I found these great for touring, lightweight and dry very quickly when wet. On longer tours where I usually like to do some walking I take along a lightweight pair of fell running shoes (Innov8s).