My Custom HT

Bike Bloke
Bike Bloke Posts: 172
edited April 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Here's the result of a few years tinkering and changing, hope you like it!

bikenewcrankcassette1pz0.jpg

Yes that seat is ridiculously high, but i am 6ft 5''...

Frame: Scott Racing XL
Forks: Fox Vanilla RLC 100mm
Stem: 90mm Thomson Elite
Bars: FSA K Force Flat
Grips: Race Face jobbies

Wheels: Mavic XC 717 on Hope Pro II's
Tyres: Crap 2.2's
Cassette: SRAM PG990
Chainset: RaceFace Deus XC
Bottom Bracket: Superstar Ceramic
Pedals: M520 or V12's

Shifters: SRAM X9
Front Mech: SRAM X-Gen
Rear Mech: SRAM X9
Brakes: Hope Mono Mini's :S

Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: SDG Bel Air RL Ti

Weight: 22lbs

I absolutely love this bike, it's ridiculously fast, however I've been riding a mongoose teocali super for the last few months, and coming back to this hardtail has been interesting to say the least!! I'm tempted to swap out the frame for a lightweight full sus, any recommendations would be great!

Comments

• XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    nice bike mate not sure about the decals tho bit much IMHO.

i know how ya feel about being tall i am 6 foot 4 and have to have the seat up high/ makes the bike look meaner i think.
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    22lbs? wow! how do I lose 6lbs to catch up? :D
  • Bike Bloke
    BFG - I completely agree, the frame came that way unfortunately, and i cant see myself stripping it down anytime soon.

JxL - Hmm...diet? :lol: Magic i guess, don't really know how i managed it, but I dont think my scales lie! Nice bike btw, not cheap, but new bar/stem/seatpost/saddle/crankset/pedals/inner tubes would be a place to start...(not much then eh!)
  • JxL
    JxL Posts: 383
    Bike Bloke wrote:
    BFG - I completely agree, the frame came that way unfortunately, and i cant see myself stripping it down anytime soon.

JxL - Hmm...diet? :lol: Magic i guess, don't really know how i managed it, but I dont think my scales lie! Nice bike btw, not cheap, but new bar/stem/seatpost/saddle/crankset/pedals/inner tubes would be a place to start...(not much then eh!)

Haha yeah, I have set my eyes on a few of these myself, although people said that lighter wheels would do most difference.

I am thinking ride my current one without much more spending, and for next year buy a light frame (kinesis maxlight XC pro II carbon comes in mind), carbon bars, steatpost, light stem, XT cranks, etc etc.
  • Bike Bloke
    Yeah i couldnt really tell what wheels you had, but if your willing to spend the cash, they make such a massive improvement to your bike, worth every penny!

Sounds like next year will be exciting :)
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Nice bike, some impressive kit there... but as usual with Scott bikes, they go way OTT with stickers!

If your on the lookout for a light full sus bike, I got a Kona Dawg Supreme 2008 for £1800 from Rutland cycling, (the 2009 model is £3500) you can get it for £1750 if you buy it outright as its in the sale, I've gone for finance and paying £100 a month intrest free.

However, its a great bike, I'm 6ft 2" and it rides like a dream, I have the 19" version. The shop has a few left and at this price nothing compares (other than other last 2008 model bikes of similar spec). But I always try to buy out of season stuff because it costs so much less than the current year models yet there's hardly any differences in performance!

If your interested, I got mine from Grafham cycles who are part of Rutland who have a massive internet site. But I'd highly recommend this bike - its not the best looking bike, but its an absolute dream to ride.
  • Bike Bloke
    Cheers for the info,funnily enough i'll actually be working there in the summer - so might have a look see whats on offer. When i got the scott originally, i had a choice between it or a Kona Caldera, got the scott because it looked prettier, kinda wish i had the more playful kona now.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    The scott you've got has a pretty big frame (though your a big guy I guess), I assume you do mainly XC from looking at the bike, but thats the joy with the Dawg, yeah, its a lot of money, but you can use it for pretty much everything because its strong and light, but I guess you could say the same for a lot of the enduro/singletrack bikes e.g. FSR's, Fuels, Meta's etc... I guess thats why they tend to refer to them as all mountain as in can ride a bit of everything - I was going to go for a light hardtail, but was conviced by the you can use it for everything sales talk and just went for it!
  • Bike Bloke
    Definitely a wise choice, i love my mongoose teocali super, but it's just a few pounds too heavy, and I dont want to compromise it's performance by trying to cut that down. I guess I could just get a little fitter taking longer on the climbs.

Full suspension bikes have come along way!