i've had my first moment...

b0y1nterupted
b0y1nterupted Posts: 124
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
well it had to happen 4th ride out clipless & i have had a moment....

filtered to the front of a line of traffic, uncliped with left foot & bike went down to the right, franticly managed to unclip my right foot before little slip & just catching my bike before it hit the ground

so then as you do a quick look around to see if i was noticed & find a lady in the car behind trying her hardest not to laugh :oops:
FCN 4

thereback.jpg

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    What so you actually caught yourself?

I call a non-moment! You gotta go down with it, boy! :P
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • sarajoy wrote:
    What so you actually caught yourself?

no just the bike
    sarajoy wrote:
    I call a non-moment! You gotta go down with it, boy! :P

fine i'll do that tomorrow & your being blamed for the damages :wink:
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • sarajoy
    The Brizzle contingent have seen my clipless moment bruise (now faded away but there's a lump under where it was :shock: ) :D
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    A moment, a TRUE moment is only when you can be seen frantically trying to get your foot out of the cleat; while doing the slooooowwww tttttiiiiimmmmmmbbbbeeerrrrrr...... thing. Then ending up in the road in the perfect drop bars position while still completely attached to the bike.

What you had was a.... a... wobble.

A bit like saying you've lost your virginity 'cos you copped a peak at a naked boobie.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm with sarajoy on this, a non-moment. A moment is when your hips/thigh or any aprt of your upper body makes contact with the road etc. You can add kudos to the moment depending on the size of the crowd who witness the moment and how big a laugh they are stifling, or not.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • :shock: i have pedal marks down my shin from it if that helps :(
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    :shock: i have pedal marks down my shin from it if that helps :(

Nope.

You've had a semi-moment. A quasi-moment. You had the margarine of moments. You had the Diet Coke of moments. Just one calorie, not a moment enough.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • so what your saying is my moment is still out there waiting to strike & i've got to go down & its gotta hurt?
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    so what your saying is my moment is still out there waiting to strike & i've got to go down & its gotta hurt?

don't forget the humiliation, you have to make a complete plonker of yourself.

My first moment was on a dual carriageway roundabout (the bleeding M1/M6 link!) and the 2nd saw me land in a huge great nettle and hawthorn patch.

Now THEY are moments! :shock: :wink:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • redvee
    so what your saying is my moment is still out there waiting to strike & i've got to go down & its gotta hurt?

Not necessarily hurt but at least have a bruise. Having seen sarajoy's bruise I can say it is a beauty and so is the area she showed off in a crowded pub after 2 pints. Tomorrow we're going to give her 4 pints and see what happens :lol:
  • so what your saying is my moment is still out there waiting to strike & i've got to go down & its gotta hurt?

don't forget the humiliation, you have to make a complete plonker of yourself.

dont need a bike to do that :wink:
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • sarajoy
    4 pints and I won't be able to ride home...!

b0y1nterupted if it's any consolation my fall hurt a lot less than I thought it might. I was more proud of the bruise than upset about hurting myself, although I was briefly a little shaken!

I think the real tell-tale sign of a moment is that real "oooohhh, crap." moment as you realise you're toppling to the wrong side and about to strike tarmac... It feels pretty slow as at the top of your topple you're still fighting for your balance...
  • sarajoy wrote:
    b0y1nterupted if it's any consolation my fall hurt a lot less than I thought it might. I was more proud of the bruise than upset about hurting myself, although I was briefly a little shaken!

the old battle scar kudos i guess
    sarajoy wrote:
    I think the real tell-tale sign of a moment is that real "oooohhh, crap." moment as you realise you're toppling to the wrong side and about to strike tarmac... It feels pretty slow as at the top of your topple you're still fighting for your balance...

i get you like your going & you know you are but cant do anything about other than hope for the best
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Lakesman
    Lakesman Posts: 46
    Never forget when a group of us in liverpool aged about 15 were clipped in for the getway - toe clips in those days - all leaning wobbily on the next rider, who was leaning on a guy with his hand on the railings waiting for the lights to change. Naturally with responsibility like that he lost it, and we all collapsed like dominoes in front of the cars...a tangled cursing mess of young dumb riders and other people's chain marks up the leg. took another full cycle of the lights before we'd extricated ourselves from that unholy mess... http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/images/s ... edface.gif
    Embarassed
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • redvee
    :lol::lol:
  • well i'm definately claiming this mornings....

& have a graze to show for it 8)

DSC00078.jpg
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Tino4444
    Tino4444 Posts: 281
    Hi all,

I have been in clipless pedals now for the last 3 months and so far have had 3 clipless moments!! You kinda get used to the pain after the second but never get used to the humiliation!! :oops:

My finest experience was at the end of my drive at the end of our cul-de-sac. The great thing about cul-de-sacs is that any event can be seen by all of your neighbours in what is like an amphitheatre!!

I was just setting off on a ride and realised that I had forgotten my helmet, so without thinking pulled on the brakes until my bike was completely still and then put my foot down. Well thats what I had planned to do had both my feet not been clipped in!!

I therefore fell onto my hip, arm and then onto my back with both feet still engaged, bike up in the air with the wheels spinning!! awesome.

Tino.
    Speciallized Allez 09...great bike shame about the wheels!!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    well i'm definately claiming this mornings....

DSC00078.jpg

you'll be wanting some salt & vinegar for that girly scratch and stop being such a cry baby pah! the 12 yr olds in the MTB section will be laugh at you, the shame... :P :D

YOU GIRL!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    I had my moment yesterday in front of 10 hair arsed RN officers (including one I am seeing at the moment). went for r the off at a set of lights in Dartmoutth, one guy didn't quite get away quick enough,I put my breaks on didn't unclip fast enough and by all accounts fell gracefully to my right taking out my chappie next to me.

Seen by said hairy bikers and half of the population of Dartmouth. much hilarity was had and I now have to buy a round of drinks on Saturday night!!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • sarajoy
    Good stuff b0y1nterupted! What happened with me is that I had a couple of wobbles and then got cocky thinking maybe I'd never have a moment. Nuh-uh!

Tino4444 I'm almost jealous of that last fall - chapeau!
  • itboffin wrote:
    well i'm definately claiming this mornings....

DSC00078.jpg

you'll be wanting some salt & vinegar for that girly scratch and stop being such a cry baby pah! the 12 yr olds in the MTB section will be laugh at you, the shame... :P :D

YOU GIRL!!!

not only that they stole my dinner money aswell :cry:
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • sarajoy wrote:
    Good stuff b0y1nterupted! What happened with me is that I had a couple of wobbles and then got cocky thinking maybe I'd never have a moment. Nuh-uh

yeah know what you mean plus i think i'm getting worse on them :?
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • sarajoy
    Nah, but you'll be a bit tentative for a while just because you've been hurt by it. Sure it'll come good soon enough!

I'm a beginner myself, felt a little funny about them after the fall but have been lots better at it this week :)
  • yeah i think its just getting used to them all the time as the sensation is wierd being clipped in all the time....

plus i probly need a little more anticipation to unclip than with flats i guess....
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    Dark forces are at work.

I read this thread last night, and this morning I had my first f*****g clipless moment as I came up to Battersea Park roundabout.

All made better by an attractive brunette lady pityingly asking if I was alright as I sprawled on my side like a turtle!
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • swings & roundabouts eh???
    FCN 4

thereback.jpg