i'm on my second cateye single shot plus. Anybody else?

2»

Comments

• Bagman
    Bagman Posts: 311
    This is interesting as C+ said the one they had was pretty robust. The reviewer states "We’ve had a production one of these for over a year now, we’ve abused it, and it still kicks out nearly the same burn times and has never gone wrong"

I'll keep a close eye on mine. Incidentally, I am looking for a spare charger if anyone has one they want to get shot of.
  • I have two, as it gives me loads of flexibility, one on, one flashing, both on etc, plus two chargers, one for either end of my commute. Took them off at the weekend and the black plastic at the ends of the slide rails is whitening on both, as if a stress fracture is developing. Will keep a close eye on them. Got them both from Wiggle so hopefully no issues with exchanging them if they do actually break.
  • The runners on mine started breaking last year, I thought I may of been too agressive pulling the unit back up because it did slip forward on the bars. But Ive started using it again this winter and it rattles about alot. Tonight it finally fell off leaving 5mm max of runner on the light. Time to try my bike shop I think, otherwise Im going to glue it to the bracket!

Its anoying. I recommended this light to another club member. The same thing has happened to him.

To stop the light from turning around the bar, I used double sided sticky tape - works a treat.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    This thread actually moved me away from the EL610 and into a Hope Vision 1 LED (slightly cheaper, much stronger) - BIG UP FORUM POWER!

Cateye really should sort this pronto.

The EL610 plus is £89.99. The Hope is £79.99 but can be bought for £70 for anyone considering either - it's very reliable, very weatherproof and the mount is as 'ard as nails.

I thought that the EL610 unit looked good but the mount was almost the same as my old and MUCH smaller EL510.

24391-1.jpg
  • I have had exactly the same problem with a light bought in March. Contacted cyclexpress who have repalced the light. excellent service from them, hope the new light fares better than the first one
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I think the thing to remember is don't adjust it while the light is in situ
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Hi All, took my second light back to my lbs today and said i did'nt want a third and asked for a hope 1 instead. to which the reply was not a problem. I'd like to thank Glen, Lucy, Tom and all at PEDAL POWER LOUGHBOROUGH for the Top class service in sorting my problem out... Cheers guys.

Chris.......

P.s they said they would point cateye to this post..

send em back and get something else...
    Back on the perkins fixed for winter 42x16..
  • side note and a mini hijack sorry, you've done a good job pointing this out chris.
    There might be a post in the selling section sometime soon about a hope 1 led going for sale 2nd hand.
    upgrading to ay-ups here.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Bit late to this but just sent mine back to Wiggle with exactly the same problem. I said I didn't want another one unless the bracket issue has been sorted, anybody know if Cateye are changing anything?
  • MrChuck
    Bit late to this but just sent mine back to Wiggle with exactly the same problem. I said I didn't want another one unless the bracket issue has been sorted, anybody know if Cateye are changing anything?
  • BMCCbry
    BMCCbry Posts: 153
    I know I'm late to the thread as well, but I had exactly the same problem...in the winter, mine fell off in the road, and I had to ride the rest of the way home (another 12 miles of hilly, pitch black country lanes!) just holding the light in my hand, like a torch! Great when you're going down a 15% hill with a tight bend at the bottom...

So I got a replacement, which I've never used, as I upgraded to a Hope Vision 4 (an absolutely amazing light, and a fantastic design in all respects).

The Singleshot Plus definitely weighs too much for the bracket. Before the bracket snapped, I too had the problem of the light slipping forward all the time. Go over any rough piece of tarmac, and it would be pointing to the floor!
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Thanks for the input guys, As i said the lights performance is excellent. i just cant believe i've had two lights go in the same place.

02102008082ri2.th.jpg

this is the second light. the first broke both sides and had more material missing. :cry:

I had exactly the same thing happen to me twice. Never forced the light on or off. Agree that it's a good performing light otherwise. The bracket is clearly not strong enough for the weight of the light. Sent it back for refund second time. Going to buy an ay-up roadie when it gets dark again.
  • helene
    helene Posts: 30
    most of the cateye lights are good for nothing, some of them are great however, I have one that i've chopped up to zip tie my fenix into....
  • MrChuck
    It's a shame because otherwise it was the best commuting light I've ever had!
  • TimBaker
    TimBaker Posts: 11
    Just recieved a third one of these, the first two having been replaced after bracket failures, under the 2 year warranty.
    Cateye appear to have changed the bracket design, as there is no gap on the base of the light where the slider sits. This increases the length of the supporting plastic, I'll just have to see how this one fares when the dark nights return. Still have warranty cover from the original purchase until next March so should at least get through this winter.
    The light itself is fantastic for the money and ideal for my 1 hour each way commute.
  • I've had a Single Shot Plus since APril, and just discovered exactly same problem. As everyone seems to agree, the light is great but the mounting is clearly a design fault.
    Another fault I've had twice is that the light sometimes fails to switch on even when fully charged. As soon as the charger is re-connected just for a second or two, the lights operates perfectly again. I'm unable to replicate the fault at will, but suspect a dodgy microswitch. I bought it online from a trader now extinct, but Zyro have asked me take it to any local dealer.

Let's see?
    johnkirk
  • RyanB
    RyanB Posts: 116
    I've one of these 610s too, but my problem with it was the charger going (about a fortnight ago). I contacted Wiggle who said return everything back to them, but I can't find the receipt/warranty etc.

I'm just getting a local electric shop to rebuild the charger for me, but I was less than impressed.

Haven't had any problems with the rails etc as detailed above tho.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    RyanB wrote:
    I've one of these 610s too, but my problem with it was the charger going (about a fortnight ago). I contacted Wiggle who said return everything back to them, but I can't find the receipt/warranty etc.

I'm just getting a local electric shop to rebuild the charger for me, but I was less than impressed.

Haven't had any problems with the rails etc as detailed above tho.
    Wiggle don't need the receipt or warranty, just fill the returns form in. Your order is recorded on line. You would have had a refund or replacement next day!

Wiggle are supreme for service when it comes to problems like this :?
  • Dammit! I've had 10 months of trouble-free service out of my light, then i read this, went to look at mine, and found a big chunk of rail flapping off, about half of one side.
    Back to Wiggle with it.