Sweat in the eyes...

R_T_A
R_T_A Posts: 488
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

First of all, what a lovely topic :oops:

Now the weather has finally turned, I'd forgotten how annoying and stingy it is getting sweat in my eyes on the daily commute. I wear glasses as insects seem to love me, which means wiping the eyes on my glove is a bit more awkward.

A skullcap/Buff has done me proud over the colder months, but remember an old running trick of putting a smear Vaseline over the eyebrows to stop it going straight into the eyeballs. So far so good, and luckily there are showers at work... :lol:

First of all, please tell me it's not just me, and what do you do to combat it?
Giant Escape R1
FCN 8
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett.

Comments

• sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I'm experiencing this too - I'm not so good with glasses on as in the stop-start traffic I just end up all steamy too often!

But I am also getting sweaty, stingy eyes. I find they're watering like mad and I'm getting tons of snot as a result - looovely!

Would also be interested in hearing what people do about it...
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Nothing I am afraid. In winter I wear an ear/headband thing (mainly to keep my ears warm) - however, I sweat allot and I have never found a solution to the issue - I get steamed sunnies too when I wear them.

To be fair, I will sometimes squirt water on my face when I am on the road bike with a water bottle - kind helps, but your clothes get wet too.

My back is the worst - very sweaty indeed with bag on!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I could sweat reading a book!! So cycling for me is like someone turned on a tap at the top of my head! :oops:

Completely unable to wear glasses as the sweat just gets all over the lenses and can't see a damn thing within a few miles.

Normally wear a cycling hat (like the pros do on rainiy days) - but backwards - under my helmet to soak up the sweat - but eventually it gets sweat-logged and down my face it continues to run.

Basically just wipe it from my eyes with my gloves regularly.

I've always wondered how the pros manage to see out of their glasses when riding over 100 miles a day. Granted they don't always drip sweat like we do...
  • R_T_A
    Phew - at least it's not just me :)

The Vaseline trick works enough to keep the majority at bay - I put it to the sides of the eyes as well. At least it stops the stinging..

Come on people, there must be a magical solution!
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • gtvlusso
    Eat more sodium (salt) in your diet or get salt tabs from the kwak. I don't have much salt in my diet (can't stand the stuff), hence a sweaty heed....
  • sarajoy
    I crave and eat a fair amount of salt. Still sweat lots, so sorry, it's not a magic solution!

Fast 100 mile + riders aren't stopping so often, the wind through their glasses keeps the steam off, I should think!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Why don't you try an 80's stylee sweatband 8)

I've got some tasty vans wrist ones, forgot to put them on this morning though.

There's also a pad inside my helmet that dabs up most of my forehead sweat.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I wear a cap under the helmet. I have no hair to soak up the sweat, but it means that overheating isn't an issue either. Doesn't solve all the problems, but there we go. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Fit some aerobars and keep the speed over 25mph; you'll find that the mix of your face pointing at the floor and the extra wind blowing round your fizzog forces the sweat to run round the side of your eyebrows and down your cheeks, bypassing the eyes completely. Remember to look up from time to time tho or you end up with blood in your eyes, nose, mouth, ears etc. Probably...
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    It's not a problem I've ever really had, it tends to be more my back than anything. The cotton cap seems to be the most effective and popular sollution at my club, especially by the vets who have many more miles experience than me.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    sarajoy wrote:
    I crave and eat a fair amount of salt. Still sweat lots, so sorry, it's not a magic solution!

Fast 100 mile + riders aren't stopping so often, the wind through their glasses keeps the steam off, I should think!

out on the roadie i'm normally got enought of a breeze that it's kept a bay. worse is nasty climbs on MTB's where your doing very low speeds clawing your way out, so can get very sticky and yucky.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Interesting, interesting...

I have very thick hair, so it's basically like I'm wearing a beanie all the time on the bike, and have complained in the past about having a very sweaty head.

The only way round it I have found was to get an Olivia Newton-John 'Let's get physical' style headband... look like a prat, but less obviously sweaty!

One of those visor things (equally 80's) or perhaps a baseball cap would perhaps have the same effect...
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    I find that a bandana helps.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • prawny
    Sirius631 wrote:
    I find that a bandana helps.

I read that as bannana at first derrrrrr! :oops:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sarajoy
    Bananananana.

Bandanananana.

Similar enough.
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I washed my helmet the other day. I cleaned the inside with antibacterial soap after taking the pads off and running them through the washing machine. First time back on the bike, the sweat running down my face from 10 miles in was just as rank as before. Do I buy a new helmet every time the old one gets whiffy? Sigh.
  • prawny
    biondino wrote:
    I washed my helmet the other day. Sigh.

Snigger snigger tsk tsk!!! :lol:
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gtvlusso
    biondino wrote:
    I washed my helmet the other day. I cleaned the inside with antibacterial soap after taking the pads off and running them through the washing machine. First time back on the bike, the sweat running down my face from 10 miles in was just as rank as before. Do I buy a new helmet every time the old one gets whiffy? Sigh.

+20

I have never washed my lid, it smells like old socks and barocca!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    biondino wrote:

You could wear a bandana under it and look like a slightly misguided gangsta...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Well if you lot will insist with helmets! :lol:

I wear a cap, it soaks up the sweat but crucially when it's sodden I find that the sweat runs off the peak this avoiding my eyes altogether. Also caps are easy to wash, although my favourite commuting cap hasn't been washed for a while and has salty "tide marks" on it, yum! :shock:
  • joew4ll
    joew4ll Posts: 43
    my specialized Propero helmet was a bit whiffy and when I tried to wash the pads, they fell apart. But got onto Evans and spare pads for the Propero were only a couple of quid. So now I'v got a new pad in and it'l like having a new helmet, lovely!

As for sweat dripping into eyes, it rarely happens to me, must be going too fast... 8)
    '07 Focus Izalco Expert - Hairy Baggy Shorts Roadie (FCN 5)
    '02 Marin Bear Valley - MTB on Nobblies (FCN 9)
    '04 Dawes Giro 200 - Fast Hybrid (FCN 7)
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    SOAK the helmet pads, people, industrial machine washing not required.

Also - sodium bicarbonate overnight removes the whiff. Washing in soap is merely like sending the bacteria on a pleasant holiday to Cyprus. They come back warm and refreshed.
  • R_T_A
    Hmm, 80s style headbands:

http://www.fancydressnation.co.uk/acatalog/info_SM29757.html

Right, I'm wearing my Buff as a bandana tonight and see if that makes a good sponge.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • c12345
    c12345 Posts: 99
    ... soak the pads in water, then a couple of minutes on high power in the microwave.

I'm serious.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Vaseline. Only problem I then have is when I stop for a break on longer rides I forget and wipe it all off with the sweat. Otherwise it works really well, and is useful in the winter for preventing chapped lips.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    biondino wrote:

I wear a buff like a kepi, and that seems to work... (sometimes like a sweatband, I don't mind looking like a twassock).
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    prawny wrote:
    biondino wrote:
    I washed my helmet the other day. Sigh.

Snigger snigger tsk tsk!!! :lol:

:lol: The old ones are the best :lol::lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Thin skull cap under a well vented helmet sorts it out for me.
  • Gilbie
    Gilbie Posts: 99
    Usually just wipe with my gloves. Had a seriously bad bout of blepharitis once (off work for a week with puss oozing out of my lids) which may have been due to dabbing my eyes with dirty gloves. So, make sure you clean / wash your mits as often as ya pants!
  • R_T_A
    jimmypippa wrote:
    biondino wrote:

I wear a buff like a kepi, and that seems to work... (sometimes like a sweatband, I don't mind looking like a twassock).

Update from last night: used a buff like a bandana, and it worked pretty well (eyes weren't stinging at least).

I thought I looked pretty cool as well, until two kids (11-12) went past the other way on BMXs and shouted "ROCK ON DUDE!" :lol:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    - Terry Pratchett.