Mr Boardman says ..................

AndyManc
AndyManc Posts: 1,393
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Be the best at road cycling............

Pedal faster

The perfect cadence (pedalling frequency) is 100 revolutions a minute (rpm), says Chris Boardman, triple world champion and Olympic gold medallist. "This feels uncomfortable at first, but persevere because it means less muscle damage and greater powers of acceleration. Lance Armstrong was the man who bought cadence up to that number - in fact, his was about 120."

Restrain yourself

"The best way to attack a climb is not to attack it," Boardman says. "If you overcook it on the flat, you can freewheel to recover, but there's no stopping on a hill, so take it steady."

Go aero

Never underestimate the impact of riding in an aerodynamic position. "Cutting through air resistance is 90% of the effort," Boardman says, "so an aero position makes a huge difference to speed. The only way to master it is to ride in it, back flat and silhouette as small as possible. Your leg muscles work hard at a severe angle, so it will feel difficult to start with."

Find some friends

Cycling in a pack reduces energy expenditure by up to 39%, so you can go farther and faster if you ride with friends.

Keep your upper body still

Top cyclists barely move theirs. "This takes commitment because you'll lose power at first," Boardman says. "Strengthen your body with intervals of going as fast as possible for five seconds in a big gear and low cadence (40rpm), then 25 seconds' recovery. Aim for two blocks of 10 minutes."

Buy sensibly

"Many bikes are marketed on frame weight, but don't get taken in -100g here or there makes zero difference," Boardman says. "It's the frame stiffness that counts."

article stolen from the Gruniad

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
URBAN_MANC.png

Comments

• Graham Obree however who built his own hour record winning bike out of a washing machine & bmx tubing says, marmalade sandwiches are the key.

Coupled of course with the fact that the UCI would in no way whatsoever invent rules because your face did not fit.

Far to professional to indulge in such shenanigans are the UCI. :roll:
    Volition & freedom is within the remit of a democratic society.

Not everybody agrees with your point of view though.
  • ......and I agree with him

I just don't have the necessary domestique riders to support me on my daily commute. Now that 39% saving would bring the old times tumbling down!
    [1]Ribble winter special
    [2] Trek 5200 old style carbon
    [3] Frankensteins hybrid FCN 8
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Yep, no mention of hydration and nutrition, but I suppose it was only a quick quote from him.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • Cunobelin
    Cunobelin Posts: 11,792
    ..............................and watch out for sheep!
    <b><i>He that buys land buys many stones.
    He that buys flesh buys many bones.
    He that buys eggs buys many shells,
    But he that buys good beer buys nothing else.</b></i>
    (Unattributed Trad.)
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Err, works well on the flat and downhill in the aero position but widecombe hill refueses to let me sit in the position.

:P
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    symo wrote:
    Err, works well on the flat and downhill in the aero position but widecombe hill refueses to let me sit in the position.

:P

Any hill in Exeter refuses to let me sit....so most of Exeter then!
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men