Gold Chains

Bhima
Bhima Posts: 2,145
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Are they any better than silver ones? They're certainly more expensive!

Or is it purely for bling-purposes? 8)

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There are cheap gold-coloured ones or the more expensive ti-nitrided version from KMC. IME the ti-nitride chains run smoother and are more resistant to corrosion - but you need to clean it more often to let people see your bling chain!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I may try one of the ti nitride gold KMC ones on my next chain change....
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I must admit I balked at the price and went silver. Replacing too many other bits at the minute to afford that though will try these definitely once I've my bike sorted out fit wise.
  • Anonymous
    Have you seen how much shimano chains have gone up by? :shock:
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's all the shimano prices. The price of the cassettes was enough to bring me almost to tears.

I got a dura ace cassette 6 months ago for £45 (it was a sale in chain reaction cycles if memory serves me right). I got then because it was a complete bargain little did I realise just how good it would be or I would have bought a few. Not getting one for anything like that now.
  • Anonymous
    Scary isn't it? The little metal MTB pedal cleats increased by 100%!
  • ive had one of these kmc ti-nitride chains on my mtb for a little over three months . this is when i would usually change a shimano or a sram chain . the coating has worn off on the rollers but is still fine on the plates . but you got to really keep them clean .they are a little lighter than shimano or sram but much stronger .
  • ACMadone
    ACMadone Posts: 300
    I was looking for some more cleats for my road pedals yesterday and nearly choked when I saw they'd gone from £12.99 to £23.99 in the space of a year
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    And I thought you were talking about jewelry.

Dennis Noward
  • Bhima
    dennisn wrote:
    And I thought you were talking about jewelry.

Dennis Noward

Me too, and I started the thread! :?

:lol:

Thanks for the advice guys. On ebay, you can get them for 24.99 + couple of quid postage if you look hard enough so only £10 more than your standard silver one. Not sure weather it's worth it though - how much longer do they last? If there's a 50%+ improvement, fair enough but, if not... :? hmm...

I just saw some blue/red/yellow/multicoloured ones down the LBS for £12 - are these just painted?
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    doyler78 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

It's all the shimano prices. The price of the cassettes was enough to bring me almost to tears.

I got a dura ace cassette 6 months ago for £45 (it was a sale in chain reaction cycles if memory serves me right). I got then because it was a complete bargain little did I realise just how good it would be or I would have bought a few. Not getting one for anything like that now.

I noticed the other day that a Super Record 11 speed cassette will retail over £200!
    M.Rushton
  • Blonde
    Blonde Posts: 3,188
    I have a ti-nitride coated chain on my fixed work bike. I have ridden it nearly every week day since October 2007, doing 26 miles a day on my commute, and I've also done a few 100-200km rides on it. I have not yet replaced the chain as it hasn't "stretched" enough to bother yet. Not sure of exact mileage, but my partner bought his fixed in 2008, yet has broken/replaced his "silver" chain twice since then, whilst I still use the original chain that was on the bike in 2007....
  • Bhima
    Blonde - which exact chain are you using?

I could do with one like that! :shock:

What about the cassette? How many have you gone through?
  • JC.152
    JC.152 Posts: 645
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Scary isn't it? The little metal MTB pedal cleats increased by 100%!

your better off by buying cheap pair of shimano mtb pedals off ebay for £15 with cleats in the box