'09 Campag Centaur ergo levers

tenor
tenor Posts: 278
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Has anyone used these?
Are they an improvement on the 07/08 versions in terms of their facility for multi changing and trimming the front mech?
And are they more 'ergo' than the outgoing shape?

Comments

• Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've got the carbon versions and have to admit they are a huge improvement on previous ergos.
    The shape is the main thing.Its just so comfy.
    The lever action is also lighter
  • synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    They are capable of multiple up- and down-shifts.
    Also much more ergo...
  • tenor
    Thanks for the comments, but is there a trim function on the left hand lever for the front mech? I will probably be using these with a triple set up and the flexibility of the original (and current Chorus / Record) levers was always useful in avoiding chain rub.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I have no issues with trimming the front mech, loads of availble movement from the shifter to get the mech where it needs to be.
    I run a compact set up and often find myself using the whole of the rear cassette on any given chain ring and can prevent chain rub at all times with trimming the front mech.
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    yes you can trim with the left ...

the veloces can be had for c.£90 and are only 20g heavier ... the only difference i believe being the alloy brake leaver vs. carbon for centaur and above.

the new rubber really is very comfy indeed.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    ive got centaur 09- the levers and rubbers feel great but down changing feels less positive than on the old models with much less of a click (it feels shimanoey ugh!)
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • tenor
    Good, well they sound better than the outgoing 08 'escape' model, but I will keep the 07 Chorus carbon's for my best bike...
  • wildmoustache
    wildmoustache Posts: 4,010
    tenor wrote:
    Good, well they sound better than the outgoing 08 'escape' model, but I will keep the 07 Chorus carbon's for my best bike...

I think you might well end up prefering the 09 Centaurs to your 07 Chorus. They are IMO more comfortable (I'm comparing Centaur 09 to Record 08 here), and just as light.