GARMIN EDGE 605 - Routing????

drumsmasher
drumsmasher Posts: 241
I have a Garmin Edge 605 and i have just been out on a pre-routed ride of 25 miles. A road half a mile away was closed, but being local i found my way back onto the course. The 605 however, was still telling me to U-turn a further 22 miles away from this point, before saying "route calculation error" and then doing nothing at all! This is ok when i know the route, but i have pre mapped a 100 mile ride to the coast and if this happens half way there i will be in serious trouble. Is the re anyone out there that knows if its possible to tell the unit to re route or miss out a closed road? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Another tree...another cracked rib!!

Comments

• pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    Download the latest firmware - 2.6. This will give you an option to turn off automatic route recalculation. Tick this. If you go wrong it's up to you to get back on track. It will still show the original route plotted but will not recalculate it based on your current location

The Garmin is pretty poor at recalculating routes. I rode with friend. We both had 705 Garmins with the same routes loaded on both. Mine after about 20km had decided it wanted to go a different way!
    Paul
  • drumsmasher
    drumsmasher Posts: 241
    Thanks mate, i'll do that and then re-ride the route. Thanks for your advice!
    Another tree...another cracked rib!!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    pjm-84 wrote:
    Download the latest firmware - 2.6. This will give you an option to turn off automatic route recalculation. Tick this. If you go wrong it's up to you to get back on track. It will still show the original route plotted but will not recalculate it based on your current location

The Garmin is pretty poor at recalculating routes. I rode with friend. We both had 705 Garmins with the same routes loaded on both. Mine after about 20km had decided it wanted to go a different way!

Were you the routes GPX or TCX files?

You might want to try TCX..
  • pjm-84
    pjm-84 Posts: 819
    I use Memory Map to plot the routes.
    Paul
  • woody-som
    woody-som Posts: 1,001
    It depends on if you use courses or routes. Routes don't seem to be recalculated, but a course will.
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    sampras38 wrote:
    pjm-84 wrote:

What's the difference between GPX and TCX? Will TCX files still give you navigation instructions eg "turn left in 50 yards"?
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Shezzer wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    pjm-84 wrote:

What's the difference between GPX and TCX? Will TCX files still give you navigation instructions eg "turn left in 50 yards"?

Yep and http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/ should tell you everything you need to know about the Garmin. Probably the best resource on the web and lots of people on here use it.