Chain Reaction Cycles

plowmar
plowmar Posts: 1,032
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi guys, I'm trying to get info from Chain Reaction Cycles before purchasing, but they seem to be taking a long time,( compared to others), to respond to my e-mails.

What experiences have you had, and can you comfort me if I want to buy?

Comments

• Beeblebrox
    Beeblebrox Posts: 145
    I've used them a few times, just because they always seem to be a few quid cheaper than Wiggle. Good delivery, no problems etc.
  • Best cycle shop around IMO. Free delivery and usually next day. Cheaper than most sites as well.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    For an immediate response {in work hours} try faxing them,it really works.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • EdHarris
    EdHarris Posts: 81
    I've used them several times and their delivery is very efficient and fast, and free too. However, I have heard reports that they are little slow on answering emails/calls: but it's probably a case of bad experiences getting the lime-light where good service rarely gets mentioned.

I don't hesitate in buying from them.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    I've never had a problem phoning them. Best to call at a quiet time though, mid morning is good. Remember how big they are though, it may take them a while to get through all the emails/calls they receive.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Thanks all.

I'll try the phone option tomorrow.

:):):):):)
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    Er, why don't you ask your question here?

I've only ever contacted CRC regarding an existing order and they responded. I've had no probs with CRC over the years, BTW.
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I contacted CRC only once re: accessories and they got back to me within 24 hours with all the relevant info so the only time I've ever had to contact them they responded relatively efficiently so I was happy.

Used them loads of times and no problems. Never had any problems so no experience of how they deal with those.
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    I find that CRC and Wiggle ar great if you know what you want, but as with a lot of big mail order places they aren't the best places to get advice
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    edited April 2009
    IMO, CRC deliver the fastest out of all the major biking etailer's - tend to be a bit faster than Wiggle even. (tend to get more nick-nacks from CRC now than Wiggle - Wiggle seemed to have upped there prices quite a bit lately - and their selection's not as good as CRC's)
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    Mettan wrote:
    IME, CRC deliver the fastest out of all the major biking etailer's - tend to be a bit faster than Wiggle even.

Placed my first order yesterday with Merlin and got my stem this morning and their prices seem to be very good so looks like I may looking here a lot more. Wiggle was very good however it has got uncompetitive and their deliveries are not as reliably quick as they used to be for instance ordered a new seatpost yesterday and it was processed yesterday as a priority despatch however it didn't get here today and having to wait 2 days has become more common of late. Still pretty good though.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    doyler78 wrote:
    Mettan wrote:
    IME, CRC deliver the fastest out of all the major biking etailer's - tend to be a bit faster than Wiggle even.

Placed my first order yesterday with Merlin and got my stem this morning and their prices seem to be very good so looks like I may looking here a lot more. Wiggle was very good however it has got uncompetitive and their deliveries are not as reliably quick as they used to be for instance ordered a new seatpost yesterday and it was processed yesterday as a priority despatch however it didn't get here today and having to wait 2 days has become more common of late. Still pretty good though.

Yep, Merlin look good on prices - spotted some R550's/R561's/5600's a few months back - great prices (think the R550's were ~ £77 a pair a few months back - incredible) - not sure what they've got in at the moment though.
  • caw35slr
    caw35slr Posts: 439
    guilliano wrote:
    big mail order places ... aren't the best places to get advice

Sorry to paraphrase you guilliano, but that is spot on.

A good LBS will be able to provide that advice (which sometimes justifies the price premium, IMHO). Another good source of advice is the BikeRadar forums!

Before I order I usually compare prices at CRC, Merlin and Wiggle. I've found all three to be very reliable and I've put the returns processes of CRC and Wiggle to the test successfully (have yet to try to return something to Merlin).

I agree with others that Wiggle bumped up there prices (quite a while ago) but they sometimes have really good offers, so it's always worth a look. Ditto Merlin who seem to be quite aggressive price-wise when clearing out old stock.

I'm still intrigued to know what your question is... :wink:
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    I've asked CRC questions via email before and they took a while to get back to me.
    I once bought a pair of Shimano shoes which were out of stock but waiting for delivery.After 3 weeks I emailed them to ask for a date of delivery and was tolded it would be shortly.After a couple more weeks I emailed again and finally told they were discontinued and was given a refund.I was not impressed with this service.
    Wiggle I find still deliver next day and I only use the free option now, it does seem to depend on what time you order though.