disappearing cycle lanes???

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
Have noticed the cycle lane at parl sq going west has gone as you approach the square, blackriars cycle lane narrowing too, what is going on?

thought we were promoting cycling in this city...!

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yep, noticed that too. Never used it though, too much chance of getting squashed against the wall of steel...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    If you want to promote cycling get rid of silly cycle lanes and introduce a proper regime for dealing with drivers that squish cyclists.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    No point putting a bike lane where the road already resembles a meteor crater either. Smoother roads along certain parts of the commute would be a good starter for 10.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • leoccp
    leoccp Posts: 45
    That's the thing isn't it, I'd rather the bl**dy things never existed, but narrowing them like at Blackfriars is totally irresponsible. I've put in a complaint at fillthathole.org about that one not sure whether this will help.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    leoccp wrote:
    That's the thing isn't it, I'd rather the bl**dy things never existed, but narrowing them like at Blackfriars is totally irresponsible. I've put in a complaint at fillthathole.org about that one not sure whether this will help.

Blackfriars East of the tunnel (once you get used to the Tunnel which for the first couple of trips has your arse contracting harder than an elephant in labour) is a very nasty spot to cycle and you need to have your A game on to navigate it cleanly. Grab your road and keep it - particulalry just after the first set of lights at the bridge junction.

On the plus side the cycle lane running into the last set of lights west of the big dip before the tunnel has become super sized and you can pass without leaving it.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?