Calling all Zesty owners. Sizing question.

Dazza993
Dazza993 Posts: 99
edited April 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

Having read such favourable reviews of the Lapierre Zesty's I'm planning to purchase a 314, having ridden one at a recent demo day and being thoroughly impressed.

I wouldn't mind some feedback on what sizes owners have bought in relation to their height & inside leg measurement.

Currently I ride a large Specialized FSR XC and I'm 6' / 180cm tall with a 32" inside leg. My test ride was on a medium Zesty which did indeed feel okay, and the frame of a medium Zesty certainly looks bigger than a medium Specialized.

My gut feel is that a large would be more suitable as I beleive there's very little in standover clearance between a large & a medium, and that it's the top tube length that is the biggest difference. I guess the seat tube increases too but this can be compensated by adjusting the seat height.

Following the calculations from the sizing FAQ post (inside leg minus 10" for BB and minus 3" standover) this equates to 48cm. A large Zesty is 50cm and a medium is 46cm - so I'm bang in the middle !!

When my local Evans eventually get bikes in I'll try them out, but in the mean time any suggestion would be most welcome.

Cheers
Darren...

Comments

• gypsy3006
    gypsy3006 Posts: 108
    edited April 2009
    I am the same measurements as you and i have a medium , I tried a large and it was WAY to big !! , the standover height on the large gave me no room and my nuts were bang on the bar :(

I have never felt the medium to be too small and its very easy to throw around , the large felt a little big and long under me and not so agile .

but you should always try first , everyones different !

cheers
    :D
    Ride like theres a randy priest behind you !!!!
  • 5Thumbs
    5Thumbs Posts: 88
    I'm 6' 1" with 33 inside leg. I've just bought a Zesty in large and find it very comfortable.

I have about 2" standover height so no prob there but having read various reviews I was more worried about the 'long' top tube but in reality it doesnt feel long at all to me.

Like you I felt that i was probably in between sizes (my existing hardtail is an 18.5") but one thing that convinced me to go for the bigger size was I reckoned I could always fit a shorter stem or even move the seat forward a bit if necessary, after all the top tube difference in a med and large is quite small. Spose you could equally make the same changes in reverse to make a Med size largerso the net of it probably is just get what feels right and tweak it afterwards if needed.
  • sharpy1
    sharpy1 Posts: 100
    Hi mate.
    I am 5'10" with 32" inside leg.
    I originally test rode a 46 and felt a little cramped but still ordered it thinking 'it'll be ok', but it niggled and niggled at me (my last bike was totally the wrong size so didnt want to cock up on a £2k bike) so went to try a 50 and it felt much better.
    Standover was very similar with little ball room on both!
    I now have the 50 and it feels great I may stick a shorter stem on it but its not urgent!

Get down to welovelapierre in Hull mate, Sarah will do you a stonking deal so you dont have to deal with the monkeys in Evans!!
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    I'm 6'3 and ended up on a large Zesty - the mediums felt tiny to me. TBH your best bet is to give them both a test ride if you can. I got mine from the same place as Sharpy ( :D with the deal by the way) and they were due some new zestys in, but I havent been back so don't know if they've got them yet.

Some dealers have said that here are only certain Evans stores due to get the Zestys though so if your local one isn't one of the "flagship" stores they'll have to stick you on a demo waiting list. Not sure if this is 100% true or not but worth considering if you expect to just turn up and take both sizes out back to back. Probably worth ringing them well in advance and asking.
  • Dazza993
    Dazza993 Posts: 99
    sharpy1 wrote:
    Get down to welovelapierre in Hull mate, Sarah will do you a stonking deal so you dont have to deal with the monkeys in Evans!!

I've been on the phone to Sarah, and very helpful she was too. Best she could offer over the phone was 10% (which is v. good) but last night I got some 10% off vouchers for Evans, which I assume could be used agaisnt a bike.

So the deal's the same unless you think I could get better than 10% at welovelapierre, plus it's a 10minute drive to my local Evans vs. a 280 mile round trip to Hull (£35 in diesel)

Plus if any problems do occur, I can return the bike to my local Evans rather than Hull. A couple of the guys in my local Evans do seem cluded up, some are less so (that's being polite)

Cheers
    Darren...
  • Yeti Jon
    Yeti Jon Posts: 19
    I am 6ft and have 31 inside leg and ride a medium zesty. In my opinion they are sized on the large size as the stand over is quite tight for me on the medium.
  • jam1e
    jam1e Posts: 1,068
    If they've got your sizes in stock now then £35 in diesel to get a back to back ride today (they're open till 10pm most nights!) and not having to wait for Evans to get them in for you might be worthwhile...

You could have one demo'd, sized and bought just in time for a friday morning / long weekend sickie!