Giant Defy Advanced 2

guilliano
guilliano Posts: 5,495
edited April 2009 in Road buying advice
I can't find any reviews anywhere! I used to have a Giant SCR (2007 model) and really liked the feel of it, but it never got used and so went to a better home. I'm now looking for a mid range compact carbon road bike for fitness and sportif rides and this looks great for the cash...... but has anyone actually ridden one? If so, is it similar in geometry to the SCR and is it as good on the road as it is on paper?

Comments

• badhand
    badhand Posts: 115
    Have a look at the latest Cycling Plus mag. They have got a review of 37 bikes for their bike of the year. In it there is a Defy Advanced 4. (same frame). It has got a fairly good write up, but not as good as it's brother the TCR advanced.
  • guilliano
    Thanks. I saw that the TCR had won bike of the year. I really liked the relaxed geometry of my old SCR though. The 1cm longer top tube and 2cm shorter head tube on the TCR might be too much of a racy position for me. Ideally I would try both, but that would delay purchase by a couple of weeks and I just want to get out riding..... especially as I have a week off at the start of May
  • badhand
    I understood it to be fairly relaxed. I'm just about to try an Alliance for size because the frame geometry is the same as the advanced. I'm hoping it's a bit relaxed! I know what you mean about getting on a bike ASAP, but in the long run it must be worth getting on a couple?
  • pud77
    pud77 Posts: 144
    I was looking into a new Giant until I recently purchased a second hand bike. Just to give you a pointer, I found luvbikes to have the cheapest online Giant prices. Not sure on their service though, never used them.

Defy Advanced 2 - £1718
    http://www.luvbikes.com/products.php?plid=m1b0s6p3694
  • HonestAl
    HonestAl Posts: 406
    Hi there, I'm sure you've seen it, and it's not a Defy Advanced 2, but there's a review of the Advanced 1 on Bikeradar

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 1-09-32480

I've ridden it (the Defy Advanced 2), and a TCR Advanced 2 and bought the TCR. Both were great, but the TCR just felt more responsive and grin inducing. I've ridden a good few miles on the TCR since and am still very happy with the decision. But as I said, both were excellent.
    "The only absolute statement is that everything is relative" - anon
  • guilliano
    Thanks HonestAl. I'm nowhere near fit enough for the gearing on the TCR.... 39/25 lowest gear would kill me on the hills in the Chilterns, so the Defy is definately the option for me. I'll hopefully get the bike next week (providing my boss orders it) and will let you know how I get on once it's here.
  • badhand
    Uh oh, I was under the impression the TCR was great for long rides and now am beginning to think this Defy that you speak of is the choice.

I think I need to start my own topic!!...
  • guilliano
    The TCR is good..... I'm just a fat bloke with the fitness level of an asthmatic sloth
  • badhand
    Oh dear, sounds like you should go for a fixie :D That'll sort you out.
  • HonestAl
    sloth or not I'm sure you'll love your Defy. Let us know how you get on with it, puffing around the Chilterns, never know we might pass each other!!
  • guilliano
    You might pass me...... as I sit buckled at the side of the road halfway up a climb! To be honest it's more bike than I'll ever do justice to, but I likes me bling and figured that road riding is just much more accessible for me as I don't drive, but I live just a few miles from some of the best hill roads I know (Whipsnade, Aston Clinton, Ivinghoe) so I figured I'd start taking advantage after work and on days off. As a MTBer I really shouldn't be getting excited over the lycra side of riding, but I just can't wait to get on the damn thing!
  • HonestAl
    heh, I feel exactly the same about the TCR in terms of not doing it justice. And being the big wuss I am I also has a compact crankset put on it. I kept the 53/39 for when my legs and lungs decide I'm fitter than I was when I bought it.

It was a real close deal between the two, another day in another mood I might well have gone for the Defy.

Enjoy your new toy when it comes!
  • guilliano
    The compact was what sealed the deal for me..... along with a 12/27 cassette. OK, I lose the top gear but I'm not going to race at all, just ride for the fun of it so that's not an issue. I actually prefer the look of the TCR advanced 2 (that black with blue trim is just stunning) but I'd rather get the right bike than the sexiest one.
  • HonestAl
    That's gotta be the right call. Now you've got to get your new lycra wardrobe :)
  • badhand
    So Honest Al,
    Would you say the TCR is comfy enough for longish rides. Nothing too crazy. I too am an mTBer who loves a bit of lycra :lol:
  • guilliano
    Pervert!!!

My bike has now been ordered, along with accessories, and should be with me in a week! Yay!!!!!
  • HonestAl
    Badhand, it depends what you mean by "longish", most weekends I'll do a couple of rides, one of about 50 miles or so pretty much non stop on it, and get off feeling fine (well, other than being knacked) - meaning no untoward aches and pains.

Another factor is that I'm no spring chicken, so to do so speaks volumes for the bike

And one more that makes it suitable is that it's just so damn grin inducing that it does encourage you to go on.

I reckon guilliano will find pretty much the same, congrats on the purchase
  • guilliano
    My bike's better than yours HonestAl :wink:
  • badhand
    If I venture on road on the stumpy I manage about 30 miles before my arms want to fall off. I was hoping to double that with a TCR.

So even though you called me a pervert, (you know what I mean...) well done on the order Guilliano. How tall are you and what size did you go for? That goes for you too Honest?

Just wondering because i'm 6ft and Giant says I could have the M/L or L. Tried the M/L and it felt good but wasn't a majorly long ride - round the bike shop block.
  • guilliano
    Go for the large. I'm 6'1 and it felt perfect. I have the saddle a few inches above the bars, so loads of post exposed, but the XL just felt too big
  • HonestAl
    keep on thinking that guilliano :) Seriously, cos as long as I'm cool with mine and you're cool with yours, we both win :D

Badhand, I'm a shortarse 5'9" with a relatively long body and short legs, so the geometry is ideal, I've got the seatpost fairly low (72cm between BB and saddle top) I've got a medium frame, so if you're a few inches taller I'd prolly go for the M/L. Depends how long your legs are. Reckon on either the Defy or TCR you'd be comfortable. guilliano's right about the normal versus compact chainset difference so depending on where you're riding / how fit you are you might want to take it into account (or chicken out like me and get both normal and compact!)
  • guilliano
    As HonestAl says...... compact rules unless you are a strong climber! Seriously, you have to try a large, especially if you opt for a defy as the top tube is 1cm shorter, the standover is 1/2 inch lower and the headtube is 2cm higher than the TCR. Drop the bars to their lowest possible position and you have a great fitness bike. With the TCR you are getting a very stiff, yet comfy sportive bike (if you can get hold of one now.... they are selling out fast!)
  • badhand
    It's hard work isn't it! I'm tempted by the Large but I know what you mean about the stock. I dunno, you get one article claiming out of 37 other bikes it is the outright best one and everybody wants it... maybe I should just go for the Ribble Sportive?

Sorry Guilliano for piggy backing your topic!

Keep us updated on the Defy please :D
  • HonestAl
    Heh, decisions, decisions. You CAN'T possibly work your way through this thread about Giant then buy a Ribble (good though it might be) you'll at least have to start a new Ribble debate thread ;)
  • badhand
    Yeah I know, but if I can't get my hands on one... Or Bianchi 928.

I don't want to be one of those people that ask the question 'which bike should I buy?'
  • badhand
    but I'm sure I will be....
  • HonestAl
    Are they in that short a supply? Obviously I've not looked since I got mine, but in the months I've had it I've never seen another one round me - I reckon people keep them hidden or something :)
  • badhand
    They respray with Specialized decals to keep them hidden :twisted:
  • HonestAl
    ah, that'll be it then. Plenty of those around here :)
  • guilliano
    The TCR advanced are out of stock at Giant in all the sensible sizes.... I checked yesterday. The defy is available in most sizes throughout the range.... and has a compact chainset. The Rabobank TCR advanced at £1750 is available in all sizes, but I'd get in there quick if that's what you want.

I should be riding the Defy home from work Thursday or Friday..... out for a ride next Sunday. Can't wait to sling my leg over it

Badhand....... you need the large! I had a customer in today, tried him on a M/L, 5'11", 31" inside leg and he felt cramped.