air horn

mountainroadie
mountainroadie Posts: 244
edited April 2009 in Commuting chat
been cycling to work for 14 years on various mtb"s but ever since i bought my new c boardman hybrid it has turned me into some kinda commuting psycho .......
dog walkers,
pedestrians,
people in parked cars who open there car doors just as you are passing,
beware i got an air horn 90db strapped to my bike you can buy these for bikes they should be illegal but they are great fun :lol: you sound like a feckin train

Comments

• nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    been driving for 10 years, but ever since I stopped having to carry L plates I've turned into some kind of psycho, dog walkers and pedestrians getting in my way and even worse people opening doors into the roadway.

Yes I have air horns on that, unfortunately the compressor failed during the winter so have had to reconnect the electric trumpet horn.

You can be driving the noisiest most "WTF is that" car in the world with all lights glowing (If a SAAB 96 with sports exhaust fits that category then I occasionally do) and people will still open doors on you.

Horns mean "I am here, have you seen me" (Which can be translated as, "are you blind", "don't you know what give way means", "did it ever occur to you to put the one and only child seat in your car on the near side, and why have you got your offside doors obstructing the highway?")

You will not be surprised to hear that I am of the opinion that horns should be audible to as many people as possible not drowned out by the engine. Mudguards scraping make more noise than some horns.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • saab 96 bet your one of those guys who parks two adrift in the cycle lane to nick into the shops .dont drive a car and never will two wheels forever. mudguards scraping ? last time i crashed i was on a chopper .
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    been cycling to work for 14 years on various mtb"s but ever since i bought my new c boardman hybrid it has turned me into some kinda commuting psycho .......
    dog walkers,
    pedestrians,
    people in parked cars who open there car doors just as you are passing,
    beware i got an air horn 90db strapped to my bike you can buy these for bikes they should be illegal but they are great fun :lol: you sound like a feckin train

Let that off next to my little kids or puppy and I will tear your head off and sh1t down your throat.......Irresponsible idiot.
  • Simonb256
    Simonb256 Posts: 880
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Let that off next to my little kids or puppy and I will tear your head off and sh1t down your throat.......Irresponsible idiot.

My air horn is 115db and I used to have to use it at least three times a day.

If your kids or puppy are running infront of cyclists such as me, to permit me to use my horn then I dont see how we are the irresponsible ones??

My horn is only marginally louder than a cars, so I see nothing wrong with it.
    "War is Peace; Freedom is Slavery; Ignorance is Strength." George Orwell - 1984
  • Rockbuddy
    Rockbuddy Posts: 243
    edited April 2009
    I have an air-zound 3 horn (115dB when fully inflated)...used to have it on the mtb and now moved it to my new roadie. I got it as I seemed to have a spate of near misses with drivers at the end of last year. I have to say I would never use it for peds or dogs, especially not on trails. I find a quick ring of the bell gets the attention of most people on trails, generally without scaring the crap out of them. I've only used the horn twice both times out of frustration rather than a warning (as it is meant to be used). I find if you are paying attention to what you are doing and braking / swerving to avoid idiot's opening doors or cutting you up then you don't have time to use the horn till after the event. The 2nd occasion was this morning, a women in a car came along side me at a round about, I could see her indicating left as she tried to pass me and could see she was prob going to pincer me to the curb and so braked rather than using the horn. She nearly clipped the curb as she turned left and I chased her sounding my horn (which was useless after the event, JUST venting). To my satifaction I caught her up and undertook her as she waited to turn right 0.5miles up the road, so trying to squish me on the curb really didn't get her to her destination any faster, did it!?
  • gtvlusso
    Simonb256 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

If your kids or puppy are running infront of cyclists such as me, to permit me to use my horn then I dont see how we are the irresponsible ones??

My horn is only marginally louder than a cars, so I see nothing wrong with it.

So, scaring the sh1t out of small kids/old people and animals is okay if they are innocent by stander who happen to be happily walking on the pavement, when you have a near misss that is nothing to do with them....Grow up and get some road confidence, learn to cycle attentively - manouvre quickly, look ahead for trouble - anticipate. Like I said, scare the sh1t outta my kids and I will kick your face off.

You are irresponsible and should have your hands cut off.
  • Simonb256
    gtvlusso wrote:

So, scaring the sh1t out of small kids/old people and animals is okay if they are innocent by stander who happen to be happily walking on the pavement, when you have a near misss that is nothing to do with them....Grow up and get some road confidence, learn to cycle attentively - manouvre quickly, look ahead for trouble - anticipate. Like I said, scare the sh1t outta my kids and I will kick your face off.

So how is it different to a car sounding its horn?

I only use it on the road and when needed.
    No-one said anything about bystanders. there is no reason for me to honk at random people down the road.

To be honest I dont really care if you think its iressponsible or not, and you are projecting yourself as ignorant.

Id rather make a few people jump, than get run over.

EDIT: in fact if you really think that no-one has the right to use a horn, please tell me why they are standard in a car? By your logic they too must be irresponsible.

EDIT2: same logic:

walking down the road with kids etc, man infront falls down and has epileptic(sp) fit. These are always shocking and disturbing to see.
    So you are saying you would now beat this person up also?

Stop being so self-centred. Things happen, you get inconvienenced occasionally deal with it.

EDIT3: Also I fail to see how raod confidence can prevent people coming out of sideroads without acknowleding you or people left hooking you?
    Things happen.

But, instead of "that driver is an idiot and he nearly hit that cyclist" its "they inconsiderate cyclist used a horn to help prevent a accident, I must go kick the living cr*p out of him" ??

Look at te bigger picture, why would someone use a horn just to spite, except for idiots.
  • gtvlusso
    Simonb256 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

No-one said anything about bystanders. there is no reason for me to honk at random people down the road.

To be honest I dont really care if you think its iressponsible or not, and you are projecting yourself as ignorant.

A car horn is half expected (and lower toned/projected - it is electric and behind the car grill/under the bonnet - far less piercing), a fecking air horn isn't. Learn to fecking ride, doughnut - setting it off 3 times a day?!?!?!?

Please define ignorance?! Is ignorance caring for my kids/pup and old people innocent of your antics? Kids cry their bloody eyes out when someone is a stupid as you are - dogs go nuts or try to run off and old people have heart attacks.....

3 times a day?! - get back in your car and leave the cycling to people with confidence and skills.

You'd get run over by me if you set it off near me.....

Why are cycle bells sold again?! Whats wrong with a bit of vocal interaction?!
  • bluesacs
    bluesacs Posts: 95
    edited April 2009
    Simonb256 wrote:
    Simonb256 wrote:

How aggressive of you, you HAVE to use it at least three times a day??? I cycle everyday and I use my bell about once every 6 months, what are you doing wrong?
  • gtvlusso
    Simonb256 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

EDIT: in fact if you really think that no-one has the right to use a horn, please tell me why they are standard in a car? By your logic they too must be irresponsible.

EDIT2: same logic:

walking down the road with kids etc, man infront falls down and has epileptic(sp) fit. These are always shocking and disturbing to see.
    So you are saying you would now beat this person up also?

Stop being so self-centred. Things happen, you get inconvienenced occasionally deal with it.

EDIT3: Also I fail to see how raod confidence can prevent people coming out of sideroads without acknowleding you or people left hooking you?
    Things happen.

But, instead of "that driver is an idiot and he nearly hit that cyclist" its "they inconsiderate cyclist used a horn to help prevent a accident, I must go kick the living cr*p out of him" ??

Look at te bigger picture, why would someone use a horn just to spite, except for idiots.

If you have the anticipation to hit the horn before an incident, then you have the anticipation to avoid the incident altogether......aside a little vocalising, post event, to vent your frustration.....
  • Simonb256
    gtvlusso wrote:

A car horn is half expected (and lower toned/projected - it is electric and behind the car grill/under the bonnet - far less piercing), a fecking air horn isn't. Learn to fecking ride, doughnut - setting it off 3 times a day?!?!?!?

Please define ignorance?! Is ignorance caring for my kids/pup and old people innocent of your antics? Kids cry their bloody eyes out when someone is a stupid as you are - dogs go nuts or try to run off and old people have heart attacks.....

3 times a day?! - get back in your car and leave the cycling to people with confidence and skills.

I can ride thank you, and because people are cutting me up roughly ever 20miles or so doesnt mean I cant.

Ahh so because im not encased in metal Im not enititled to have a mechanism to alert people to my presence? I get it now...

Also please tell me how a driver doing 40+ can hear a tiny little bell on my handlebars? Same for voice sometimes, also I physically cant shout anyway.

If Id set it off near you, you probably already are in the the process of running me over, as I wouldnt of set it off otherwise.. So why does it amtter?

You are ignorant as you fail to see beyond the fact that it might make you jump. Big deal. The whole point of it is to alert you that I am here. Thats what horns are for.

Im using it to alert whatever idiot is trying to kill me now, so if it make you jump, I dont really care as Im more concerned whether I get hit or not by that point.

So far you have threatened to beat me up and now to kill me because I am attempting to make my presence known to idiots who try to pretend im not there, and you say you are not ignorant?
  • Simonb256
    bluesacs wrote:
    Simonb256 wrote:
    Simonb256 wrote:

How aggressive of you, you HAVE to use it at least three times a day??? I cycle everyday and I use my bell about once every 6 months, what are you doing wrong?

I admit I am an aggressive rider, I overtake, I push, and take primary quite often (when I deem it safe to do so). This works for me, and I ave only ever had two accidents on the road in the past 7years

Also 3times a day is only about every 20miles or so. So its not too bad. I use it less now as by the time I get to press it the driver is long gone after I manouver to a safer position.

Im trying to get accross that sometimes it is needed, though they are cr*p on drops as there is nowhere 'nearby' to place them'.
  • gtvlusso
    Simonb256 wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:

I can ride thank you, and because people are cutting me up roughly ever 20miles or so doesnt mean I cant.

Ahh so because im not encased in metal Im not enititled to have a mechanism to alert people to my presence? I get it now...

Also please tell me how a driver doing 40+ can hear a tiny little bell on my handlebars? Same for voice sometimes, also I physically cant shout anyway.

If Id set it off near you, you probably already are in the the process of running me over, as I wouldnt of set it off otherwise.. So why does it amtter?

You are ignorant as you fail to see beyond the fact that it might make you jump. Big deal. The whole point of it is to alert you that I am here. Thats what horns are for.

Im using it to alert whatever idiot is trying to kill me now, so if it make you jump, I dont really care as Im more concerned whether I get hit or not by that point.

So far you have threatened to beat me up and now to kill me because I am attempting to make my presence known to idiots who try to pretend im not there, and you say you are not ignorant?

Why are you having incidents at 40mph?! What are you a TT rider? Most cars will simply pass - fairly close, but they'll pass...I commute on a dual carraigeway, for part of my journey - only ever had incidents/near misses at junctions in town - never on a dual carraigeway...What the hell are you doing - swerving about or something?! I bet you are exactly the sort of rider that rides real slow and just pisses people off, so they have to make a dodgy overtake to get going again and then you get pissy with them.....

Yeah, it will make me jump - more importanly it will scare kids/babies/oldies/dogs and so on - STOP CYCLING AND USING A FECKING AIR HORN you are a pillock and give us a bad name - it is not necessary for anyone to use an air horn!! Like using an 18 wheeled truck as a "town" car.....

*Where did I say I would kill you?! Are you a bit oft or is there something wrong with you and reading is an issue!?

I don't even have a bell - never used one in 17 years of this commuting lark.....Anticipation y'see, road experience and confidence.....

I have about 1 or 2 incidents a month - usually someone turning left on top of me (i.e. react quick and go right) or people getting real close overtaking (yeah, they will always do that!).......over 20 miles (sometimes up to 70 miles) per day and around 100 to 150 miles at weekends - fixie/road bike....What the hell are you doing wrong that requires an air horn to be let off 3 times a day?!
  • gtvlusso
    Personally - I use a phrase that was banded about on here for a while "You're ace you are, Wish I was as ace as you" when I feel violated......

*except for my van driver incident, I am not proud, but breaking his jaw with one punch was satisfying at the time.....after he hit me :-). I now feel that I should not have seen red.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    Simonb has a point there but it only valid if it on the road but not on the cycle path or pavement.

how can you expect a driver to hear a bell noise when they are inside the car??

i don't have any bells or horns on my bike and i don't think i need them. as gtvlusso said, pay more attention with cars and people surrounding would be enough to avoid most of the situations.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Simonb256
    LOL, getting winded up so much over this.

I ride my way, you ride yours.

dont give me this "you give cyclists bad name" cr*p. As you're doing a great job of it too.

Oh no.. somone might make people jump when he feels endangered...Therefore I will run him over and beat him up. Over-react much?

As to the number of incident I have, it is not a reflection of how I ride, more of where, I shall not give more detail of that as you'll only start to troll that too.
  • gtvlusso
    Bless - fair play!

Still like to know what is going on that requires an air horn?! Do you feel endangered allot? Ever wake up in a cold sweat? If a Lion jumped out on a road at you, would you air horn it?

Only winding you up - Hope you can see my point about "surroundings/environment" and effects on innocents...never nice having 2 shocked little kids crying and a pup that is trying to escape....Or a baby in a pram asleep, that is startled awake.
  • gtv lusso when you achive tae kwon do 2nd dan you come back and see me son otherwise shut it .i am up the lomond hills every weekend :twisted:
  • gtvlusso
    gtv lusso when you achive tae kwon do 2nd dan you come back and see me son otherwise shut it .i am up the lomond hills every weekend :twisted:

"You're ace you are, wish I was as ace as you"

Whats your point, shut it about what?

Tae kwon do is for people who have confidence issues - what dads do with sons with social problems....:lol:
  • 9 years training then you might be as ace as me .
    european golds 9
    british champion 2
    scottish champion 14
    you the drunk fat boy in the photo dont make me laugh :lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    9 years training then you might be as ace as me .
    european golds 9
    british champion 2
    scottish champion 14
    you the drunk fat boy in the photo dont make me laugh :lol:

But enough about tiddly winks :wink:
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    mountainroadie are you just here to be brash, insulting and play a game of one-upmanship? You're coming across very unpleasantly.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • gtvlusso
    Lol! You're funny!

Yeah, and I am the pope! Ooh your so tough and brave are you like braveheart? Or more like Jean Claude van Damm?

9 years of social inadequecy and inability to talk to girls more like - nothin' on the lomond hills other than sheep.......... :shock:

Yeah, you can tell so much from a shot of my face; asleep on a sofa after my first tri event.....all 85kg of me. :roll:

You sound lkike you want me to care about your amazing life.....and alleged acheivements...
  • gtvlusso
    Fair play though - you do live in a beautiful area of the country and I do envy that......
  • apologies to sarajoy but read gtvlussos comments then you might change your opinion . to gtv lusso your face wieghs 85 kilos !!!!
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I've read the whole thread already, thanks.

Uh oh, we're onto the 'your FACE!' insults, I like those! Fiiight!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • gtvlusso
    apologies to sarajoy but read gtvlussos comments then you might change your opinion . to gtv lusso your face wieghs 85 kilos !!!!

Bless.....You really have nothing to say do you petal?! And nothing in your little life except your fog horn....and some bolloxy stuff about dancing around in a dressing gown, pretending to be tough on a lonely hill.

Save me Sarajoy!! I may cry later on at the pub.....I feel so violated.
  • petal are you a jobby jabber ? dressing gown its called a dobok . lonely hill i cycle with 4 mates every sunday :?
  • GarethPJ
    GarethPJ Posts: 295
    saab 96 bet your one of those guys who parks two adrift in the cycle lane to nick into the shops .dont drive a car and never will two wheels forever. mudguards scraping ? last time i crashed i was on a chopper .

You clearly don't know what a 96 is do you? It's a good long time since I saw one, appart from the model in my living room. I particularly miss the sound of a two stroke on an open pipe, there was a noise to send the shivers down your spine. Hearing a sport approaching though the forest would put you in mind of a banshee.
  • gtvlusso
    LOL! You don't quit, do you!!

*Close* mates? :wink:

You're a lost cause, I pity you.....